Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default GE GSD2800 Dishwasher Leaking

"R!" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:

Just an update. No, I haven't dug into the leak yet. Still appears
to be coming from the shaft seal area since the water drips off of the
back of the motor (the sheet metal flange).

I did find a few other minor probably unrealted issues.

The spring cutter (#432 in the diagram at: http://tinyurl.com/2gno7q )

is broken and I've only found the straight piece so far, or perhaps
the spring part is still attached.

I'm also getting intermittent "Wash Arm Blocked" errors. The reed
switch and magnet seem to be fine in that a voltmeter across the reed
switch shows appropriate behavior, and I've cleaned out all debris
from the screen and wash tower and cleaned them up as best I can.
Unfortunately, it's really hard to watch the arm spinning when it's
running!

But I have a question: On the bottom section of part #550, there is a
hole and slot. The hole is visible in the diagram but there is what
looks like a post sticking out where the slot is. Should there be
something in that hole that has magically disappeared? In the
diagram, there is a part #557 near it which could be related but has
no accompanying description. It's not shown in the parts diagram that
came with the dishwasher.

Thanks for any info!

snip

Blue plastic housing, reed switch sometimes will lean away from the tub
when hot and cause a blocked wash arm message. Check to be sure it is
firmly aginst the side of the tub.

Spring cutter is no real problem, comes in the complete seal kit.

The stem on item 550 that holds the wash arm is the only thing I have
had problems with, check inside the washarm and see if the magnet has
come unglued...

I think this dishwasher is saying, replace me before the wife gets to
upset...like yesterday.

Good time for an update.

No, I haven't fixed the leak yet.

But I did completely disassemle and clean the washtower assembly and checked
the "blocked wash arm" magnet and sensor. For whatever reason, that problem
seems to have gone away. It's even possible that there is a bad connection
at the connector for the sensor since it really went away after sticking a
multimeter in there to monitor the reed switch signal. "I'm being monitored,
better start working."

I'm still procrastinating on attacking the leak since that almost certainly
requires removing the entire thing and it would be out of service for awhile!

As far as replacement. From my point of view, that would be a shame.
With some cleaning, everything really is in very good condition.

Thanks for your interest.