Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default GE GSD2800 Dishwasher Leaking

"hr(bob) " writes:

On May 24, 1:29 am, "N Cook" wrote:
Sam Goldwasser wrote in message

OK, it's microcomputer controlled, so does that qualify as electronics
repair even if the micro isn't the problem?

This unit is about 19 years old and now has started leaking mostly
or totally when it's draining. The drain hose is in good condition
and is not obstructed. The water appears to be coming from the area
near the back of the horizontally mounted motor/pump assembly.
It's less than a cup of water for the entire wash cycle,
which a pan can easily catch, but of course these things will get worse.
I don't believe it's a hose or connection problem but can't rule that out.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Beware of leaking electricity.
I'm assuming you don't have access to the problem area. Dependent on how
close it is to a disposal job, I would cut an access hole in the adjascent
outer steel panelling and blank off with something aesthetic afterwards.
Put some of that U cross-section plastic "Flexiform" grommet strip around
the cut edge while playing around inside. I've done that with a washing
machine problem like this in an area behind large lumps of concrete that as
far as I could see were not removable.

Perhaps try query in uk.d-i-y, they like that sort of thing, and UK is no
more USA than water leaks are electronic ;-)

Sam:

How about a bright light shining under the dishwasher while it is
running and a mirror on a stick and video camera if you can't stay
around long enough to observe.

Actually, that's exactly what I plan to do. I have an "intra-oral"
video camera and LCD monitor. Not sure I'll do it first when it's
running, but will carefully inspect it for evidence of cracks, rust,
loose clamps (unlikely), etc.

At that age, if it is used frequently, it may be just plain worn out
around the punp bushings, and these things are not generally easily
repairable, in my experience. I hate to say replace, but that may be
you easiest (and maybe alnmost cheapest) option.

According to what I've read, the motor/pump thing is not serviceable
and the replacement is $100-150, although a rebuilt one might be
less. Not sure it's worth it for such an old machine. It has been
used regularly, though I wouldn't say it overstressed.

From what I can gather without actually seeing (so far) an exploded
diagram, this uses a horizontal motor driven pump (that I can see!)
which directs its output either to the rotating spray arm assembly,
or to the output hose, using a solenoid operated "butterfly" valve.
Since the leak is present only when the machine is draining, that
does narrow down the location considerably.

Or, since it sounds like the same motor/pump assembly has been used
on many GE/Hotpoint models, perhaps one from a junker could be found
if it isn't something that MacGuyver can repair.

If I can manage to remove the motor/pump assembly for careful inspection
without having to take the entire machine out (and disconnect plumbing)
that would be great. There aren't that many connections to it.

Thanks!