Todd Fatheree

Default Glass for kitchen cabinet doors

I'm in the negotiating stage with SWMBO to build kitchen cabinets instead of
buying them at the BORG. One thing the missus is considering is some sort
of opaque glass for the doors on the uppers. Now, I could argue that a
plywood panel would accomplish the same result as "opaque glass" (that's
almost an oxymoron), but I concede that the look is, in fact, different.
So, if one was looking for some kind of frosted or mottled glass, where
would one go? Is the local glass shop likely to have something along those
lines (I'd call but they're closed at the moment) or is there somewhere else
to check?

todd

bmejerle

Todd,

I installed glass in several of our kitchen cabinet doors. Here in Atlanta,
I ordered my glass from Artistic Glass. I believe they have several stores.
However, I went to their Roswell, GA location. They have many different
types of glass to choose from. We chose the seeded glass. I'm sure there
is a similar glass store in your area.

Regards,

Bob

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
I'm in the negotiating stage with SWMBO to build kitchen cabinets instead
of
buying them at the BORG. One thing the missus is considering is some sort
of opaque glass for the doors on the uppers. Now, I could argue that a
plywood panel would accomplish the same result as "opaque glass" (that's
almost an oxymoron), but I concede that the look is, in fact, different.
So, if one was looking for some kind of frosted or mottled glass, where
would one go? Is the local glass shop likely to have something along
those
lines (I'd call but they're closed at the moment) or is there somewhere
else
to check?

todd

loutent

Hi Todd,

I made/installed some oak doors with distressed glass panels
in a few of our kitchen cabinets a few months
ago. Got the glass from a local glass shop-take
SWMBO with you if you go!

A 12x24 sheet (approx) was $16 ea.

Rockler(feller) has a
very nice selection at 4x that price if you include
shipping. (Rockler.com)

You know you're on heady ground when
they starting pricing by the square inch.

Next will be sq cm. Then sq mm etc etc.

Metric is really beautiful that way. Feels
like a real bargain until you have to
actually pay for it.

Lou

In article , Todd Fatheree
wrote:

I'm in the negotiating stage with SWMBO to build kitchen cabinets instead of
buying them at the BORG. One thing the missus is considering is some sort
of opaque glass for the doors on the uppers. Now, I could argue that a
plywood panel would accomplish the same result as "opaque glass" (that's
almost an oxymoron), but I concede that the look is, in fact, different.
So, if one was looking for some kind of frosted or mottled glass, where
would one go? Is the local glass shop likely to have something along those
lines (I'd call but they're closed at the moment) or is there somewhere else
to check?

todd

Upscale

"loutent" wrote in message

Metric is really beautiful that way. Feels
like a real bargain until you have to
actually pay for it.

Sounds like one of the Ford vehicle ads I've seen up here in Canada
recently. It states that the vehicle has something like 1760 litres of cargo
space. That's great if everything going in it is litre sized too.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Todd Fatheree" wrote:

So, if one was looking for some kind of frosted or mottled glass, where
would one go? Is the local glass shop likely to have something along those
lines (I'd call but they're closed at the moment) or is there somewhere else
to check?

Check out a shop supplying the stained glass crowd - you'll be amazed at
the colors, patterns, effects and textures available. (Some of the
prices will amaze too!) A good shop will have or be able to get sheets
of the stuff at least 2'x3' so sizing shouldn't be a problem.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05

Tina

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Todd Fatheree" wrote:

[...]

I wanted to frost my front door 2 pane glass windows (small) so I bought
some frosting in a can I think at a HD store, just spray it on and it looks
like the glass was made that way frosts it very nicely, can't see in any
more, just a thought. You can buy the clear glass and just frost it
yourself.

Tina

Upscale

"Tina" wrote in message news:MC92e.13296$%\

I wanted to frost my front door 2 pane glass windows (small) so I bought
some frosting in a can I think at a HD store, just spray it on and it

looks
like the glass was made that way frosts it very nicely, can't see in any
more, just a thought. You can buy the clear glass and just frost it
yourself.

And how does it weather? Might it be affected by steam or heat in a kitchen?

SonomaProducts.com

As another poster mention, find a stained glass shop. They have all
sorts of obscured glass. I went looking for some colored glass and
ended up deciding on something like Dentist office glass, sort of like
courdoury and frosted.

Tina

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Tina" wrote in message news:MC92e.13296$%\

I wanted to frost my front door 2 pane glass windows (small) so I

bought
some frosting in a can I think at a HD store, just spray it on and it

looks
like the glass was made that way frosts it very nicely, can't see in any
more, just a thought. You can buy the clear glass and just frost it
yourself.

And how does it weather? Might it be affected by steam or heat in a

kitchen?

I frosted the inside and it's weathered great....I'm not sure about steam or
heat, I would check it out and read the can but I can't find mine or I'd
tell ya what it said, if anything. You could frost the inside of the glass
(cabinet) and that might protect it from direct steam or heat not sure since
I did my front door panes, there small compared to kitchen doors with glass.

Tina

Todd Fatheree

Thanks, Jonah. As a followup, I called my local glass place today and they
told me they have something like 15 different styles in stock to choose
from. I'll probably check it out on Saturday.

todd