Ron Truitt

Default Hanging cabinet doors w glass

I'm looking to build an oak hutch style wall cabinet with the hanging
portion having glass inset doors framed with oak.

Any of you fellas have a preferred way of making the glass doors as far
as setting the glass? Is a glue good enough or is another better?

I was thinking of making the door frames out of oak with a rabbit on the
inside ad the glass glued to he back of the rabbit.

Thanks guys.

RonT

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ron Truitt" wrote in message
I was thinking of making the door frames out of oak with a rabbit on the
inside ad the glass glued to he back of the rabbit.

How will you feed him?

TeamCasa

I'm looking to build an oak hutch style wall cabinet with the hanging
portion having glass inset doors framed with oak.

Any of you fellas have a preferred way of making the glass doors as far
as setting the glass? Is a glue good enough or is another better?

I was thinking of making the door frames out of oak with a rabbit on the
inside ad the glass glued to he back of the rabbit.
RonT

Silicone or a pice of 1/4 round tacked in.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Lew Hodgett

Somebody wrote:

I'm looking to build an oak hutch style wall cabinet with the hanging
portion having glass inset doors framed with oak.

Any of you fellas have a preferred way of making the glass doors as far
as setting the glass? Is a glue good enough or is another better?

I was thinking of making the door frames out of oak with a rabbit on the
inside ad the glass glued to he back of the rabbit.

If you want your piece to look like a puttied window, use an adhesive
like 3M-5200.

If you want your piece to look like a piece of furniture, use a wood
trim strip like a piece of quarter round.

Much as I hate nails, not sure if you have an option to hold the quarter
round in place.

HTH

Lew
Swingman

"Ron Truitt" wrote in message

I was thinking of making the door frames out of oak with a rabbit on the
inside ad the glass glued to he back of the rabbit.

Silicone works well, won't rattle in the future, and is what a glass company
would use if you brought it to them to mount.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Swingman"
wrote:

Silicone works well,

Silicone destroys the silvering on mirrors, because it releases acid
when it cures. Use a low-acid grade, suitable for use on mirrors.
DL

"Ron Truitt" wrote in message
I'm looking to build an oak hutch style wall cabinet with the hanging
portion having glass inset doors framed with oak.

Any of you fellas have a preferred way of making the glass doors as far
as setting the glass? Is a glue good enough or is another better?

I was thinking of making the door frames out of oak with a rabbit on the
inside ad the glass glued to he back of the rabbit.

Thanks guys.

RonT

Ron,

When we built a cherry display hutch, we used the groove type panel retainer
from Rockler. It made for a very finished look and were very easy to
install / remove to replace glass if necessary. They jamb fit into a
oversized groove that the glass sets in, holding the glass in tight. As I
remember, we used the fruitwood color for the cherry.

www.rockler.com
32189 - Fruitwood Groove Type Plastic Panel Retainer
38896 - Clear Groove Type Plastic Panel Retainer

Hope this helps,

David

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Phil at small (vs at large)"
wrote:

Sooooo- what happens when the glass breaks?

You saw the lip off the groove, converting it to a rebate. Doesn't
happen that often.
no(SPAM)vasys

TeamCasa wrote:
I'm looking to build an oak hutch style wall cabinet with the hanging
portion having glass inset doors framed with oak.

Any of you fellas have a preferred way of making the glass doors as far
as setting the glass? Is a glue good enough or is another better?

I was thinking of making the door frames out of oak with a rabbit on the
inside ad the glass glued to he back of the rabbit.
RonT

Silicone or a pice of 1/4 round tacked in.

Dave

Take a look at the glass panel retainer that Rockler selld:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...3&filter=glass

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA