Frederick Wilson

Default How do you handle this on your Craftman Tablesaw

Hello,

I have inherited a Craftman Table saw from my Dad. I think I can
recollect that my Grandparents got it for him when I was a youngin'.

I just purchased a new belt for it, I don't think my Dad ever put a new
one on it. Anyway, in order to raise or lower the blade I have to loosen
a bolt on the motor pivot and then retighten when I have the blade
height set.

How is this suppose to work? I sure don't recall seeing any of the home
improvement shows or Norm adjusting this bolt when raising or lowering
the blade.

Thank you,
Fred
Max

"Frederick Wilson" wrote in message
Hello,

I have inherited a Craftman Table saw from my Dad. I think I can recollect
that my Grandparents got it for him when I was a youngin'.

I just purchased a new belt for it, I don't think my Dad ever put a new
one on it. Anyway, in order to raise or lower the blade I have to loosen a
bolt on the motor pivot and then retighten when I have the blade height
set.

How is this suppose to work? I sure don't recall seeing any of the home
improvement shows or Norm adjusting this bolt when raising or lowering the
blade.

Thank you,
Fred

That bolt is not supposed to be that tight. Just snug enough to keep the
motor from "jumping".
It should be loose enough to allow for raising the blade.

Max D.

Frederick Wilson

AHHHHHHHHHH, I get it. I know I have ran the saw with that bolt loose
and the motor jumps around and the belt slaps around and the blade slips.

I wonder what would happen if I put in a longer bolt with a tense spring
under it.

Thanks,
Fred

Max wrote:
[...]

LRod

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:49:23 -0500, Frederick Wilson
wrote:

AHHHHHHHHHH, I get it. I know I have ran the saw with that bolt loose
and the motor jumps around and the belt slaps around and the blade slips.

I wonder what would happen if I put in a longer bolt with a tense spring
under it.

The design of a contractors saw is such that the weight of the motor
provides the sole tension on the belt. You can adjust the tension by
sizing the belt (or moving the motor) to vary the angle at which the
motor hangs on the mount (the Craftsman saw's motor mount is on two
rails which slide in and out of the trunnion assembly).

Somewhere out around 45° will give the maximum tension, but in
reality, you'll be better off with something less than that. I don't
have a magic number to tell you.

Because of that design, one is limited in what one may expect in
replacing the motor with one of higher power. There is only so much
power that can be transmitted with that system. 2 HP (REAL HP, not
Sears HP) or more is a waste of time.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Max

"Frederick Wilson" wrote

AHHHHHHHHHH, I get it. I know I have ran the saw with that bolt loose and
the motor jumps around and the belt slaps around and the blade slips.

I wonder what would happen if I put in a longer bolt with a tense spring
under it.

Thanks,
Fred

There should be a tension washer under the bolt (when the saw was new).
A longer bolt and a spring sounds like a good idea.

Max D.

George E. Cawthon

Frederick Wilson wrote:
Hello,

I have inherited a Craftman Table saw from my Dad. I think I can
recollect that my Grandparents got it for him when I was a youngin'.

I just purchased a new belt for it, I don't think my Dad ever put a new
one on it. Anyway, in order to raise or lower the blade I have to loosen
a bolt on the motor pivot and then retighten when I have the blade
height set.

How is this suppose to work? I sure don't recall seeing any of the home
improvement shows or Norm adjusting this bolt when raising or lowering
the blade.

Thank you,
Fred

The purpose of the bolt is to reduce vibration of
the saw. There is suppose to be a special washer
on the bolt that allows you to tighten to the
point the bolt doesn't vibrate loose but still
allows the part to slip. If you tighten it too
much, and don't loosen it when you raise the saw,
it will shear the bolt. That was the condition of
my dad's saw until I got the broken piece out.
Just put any washer on it next to the head,
tighten until vibration decrease with a running
saw but not much more than finger tight. Lift the
motor up by hand (or try) to assure that it will
move with only slight binding. (or keep a small
wrench handy to loosen and tighten it every time
you raise and lower the saw blade.

FS: jamieson handle & laser rig mike nelson Woodturning 1 March 20th 05 05:24 AM
Knee crank handle for a Maxmill ? AL Metalworking 0 August 15th 04 08:52 AM
wooden tool handle finishing AArDvarK Woodworking 6 August 12th 04 01:15 PM
Metal Door & Handle BigWallop UK diy 1 June 15th 04 08:00 AM
Nails Approved as Handle Ties Peter H. Metalworking 5 January 20th 04 02:16 AM