LRod

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:49:23 -0500, Frederick Wilson
wrote:

AHHHHHHHHHH, I get it. I know I have ran the saw with that bolt loose
and the motor jumps around and the belt slaps around and the blade slips.

I wonder what would happen if I put in a longer bolt with a tense spring
under it.

The design of a contractors saw is such that the weight of the motor
provides the sole tension on the belt. You can adjust the tension by
sizing the belt (or moving the motor) to vary the angle at which the
motor hangs on the mount (the Craftsman saw's motor mount is on two
rails which slide in and out of the trunnion assembly).

Somewhere out around 45° will give the maximum tension, but in
reality, you'll be better off with something less than that. I don't
have a magic number to tell you.

Because of that design, one is limited in what one may expect in
replacing the motor with one of higher power. There is only so much
power that can be transmitted with that system. 2 HP (REAL HP, not
Sears HP) or more is a waste of time.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net