loutent

Default Norm's highboy... wow!

OK, I'll admit than I am a 15+ year "Normite". I know
the bearded guy takes a lot of abuse from some here on the wreck.
My standard response is that someday I hope to be
good enough to be cynical of him.

There are those of us who try to aspire to
his craftmanship. I know that some find his workmanship
beneath them (it's the nail gun most often - or is it the
staining of the cherry?)

Finally, our local PBS has stopped the fundraising BS and
started some regular programming. I have been taping the new
NYW episodes, so I was pleased to see that not one but TWO
new shows for today (Saturday). The second of which was the
first episode to the highboy made from tiger maple.

I don't see how anyone - even those with much more
craftmanship than mine certainly, can complain about a
fellow who is apparantly building *TWO* of these absolutely
stuning pieces of woodworking - just to help us poor schmucks
who might someday aspire to try.

There he is, with his "prototype" (all stained and nicely finished)
sitting in the background in the the shop, as he shows every step of
the base construction of a second piece. Noticed that he used the Leigh
jig twice to sweeten up those dovetails. Never saw him do that before.

Sometimes, after a time on the wreck, I start thinking that Norm
is just too commercial (like Villa). After today, I don't think
that I can be convinced of that.

Even if he retired now.

This guy is a craftsman in anyone's league.

Lou

Patriarch

"Rumpty" wrote in :

Did you see how he made the moulding for the top? Our two PBS's haven't
shown these episodes yet.

He did a multistage router table process, cutting the bottom/front of the
bonnet, and leaving the higher portion of the pediment for later removal.
He used his router table, rather than a shaper, reflecting the tools more
likely to be available to 'one of us'. I thought that the procedure was
shown in greater detail than most of the rest, since it was really new
ground for his program. I also thought that, having seen how he did it, I
could conceivably do something like that myself, with the tooling already
in my shop. Not that I regularly aspire to Queen Anne style.

Norm made a comment on the episode of TOH that aired this week in the Bay
Area that this highboy piece was the most challenging project he had
tackled to date. So it seemed to me.

Once again, he showed his real talent, which is making things accessible,
and empowering hobbyists. The pros already know this stuff.

Patriarch
George Max

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:28:18 -0500, loutent wrote:

[...]

Yes, I loved this piece. In fact, it has me leaning to constucting
this, even though the style doesn't really fit in my house. Too bad.
The highboy is so cool, so impressive. Construct this, and all your
friends and family will know "you have arrived"

Of course, my remarks are directed at the hobbyist woodworker, not the
professionals. Especially Tom Plamann for whom even the highboy is
like a cub scout project.
George

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
Once again, he showed his real talent, which is making things accessible,
and empowering hobbyists. The pros already know this stuff.

Or at least fancy they do, or know better....

Just got a brad shooter at long last. It doesn't care if I'm using white
pine or hard maple edging, and for all the naysayers, I can hide a brad a
lot easier than I can hide a couple of misses with the hammer.

Rumpty

He did a multistage router table process,

Thanks! This moulding can also be done on the Radial Arm Saw, I just wanted
to see if he came to his senses with this project!

--

Rumpty

Ralph E Lindberg

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Norm made a comment on the episode of TOH that aired this week in the Bay
Area that this highboy piece was the most challenging project he had
tackled to date. So it seemed to me.

He noted the prototype took over 60 hours of work, the 2nd took over
20.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
SawDust (Pat)

Hi Ralph,

When I heard the statement. It was 20 days for design/drawings and
construction of the prototype. Then he suggested with the drawings
the construction would be about 10 days work. That's a lot more than
60 and 20 hrs.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 07:49:39 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Norm made a comment on the episode of TOH that aired this week in the Bay
Area that this highboy piece was the most challenging project he had
tackled to date. So it seemed to me.

He noted the prototype took over 60 hours of work, the 2nd took over
20.

Patriarch

"Rumpty" wrote in
:

He did a multistage router table process,

Thanks! This moulding can also be done on the Radial Arm Saw, I just
wanted to see if he came to his senses with this project!

I'm sure, in the hands of an artist, many things can be done with a RAS. I
can't imagine how one would cut a curved bonnet top moulding with one,
however.

Must be a failure of imagination on my part. ;-)

Patriarch
Rumpty

I'm sure, in the hands of an artist, many things can be done with a RAS. I
can't imagine how one would cut a curved bonnet top moulding with one,
however.

It's done all the time! We use the Delta Shaper heads and bits, and a
variable fixed rub collar on the table, the cuts are made with the arbor
down pointing on the table and the moulding mounted to a guide board and fed
past the bit.

--

Rumpty

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Rumpty" wrote in
:

He did a multistage router table process,

Thanks! This moulding can also be done on the Radial Arm Saw, I just
wanted to see if he came to his senses with this project!

I'm sure, in the hands of an artist, many things can be done with a RAS.

can't imagine how one would cut a curved bonnet top moulding with one,
however.

Must be a failure of imagination on my part. ;-)

Patriarch

George Max

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:53:17 -0500, "SawDust (Pat)"
wrote:

Hi Ralph,

When I heard the statement. It was 20 days for design/drawings and
construction of the prototype. Then he suggested with the drawings
the construction would be about 10 days work. That's a lot more than
60 and 20 hrs.

Maybe he didn't count the time spent waiting for glue and finish to
dry or cure.
Patriarch

"Rumpty" wrote in
:

I'm sure, in the hands of an artist, many things can be done with a
RAS. I

can't imagine how one would cut a curved bonnet top moulding with one,
however.

It's done all the time! We use the Delta Shaper heads and bits, and a
variable fixed rub collar on the table, the cuts are made with the
arbor down pointing on the table and the moulding mounted to a guide
board and fed past the bit.

Pardon me, but my estimation of your courage just went WAY up! That sounds
to me very much like an inverted, free-air shaper.

I'll pass, thank you.

Patriarch
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
"SawDust (Pat)" wrote:

Hi Ralph,

When I heard the statement. It was 20 days for design/drawings and
construction of the prototype. Then he suggested with the drawings
the construction would be about 10 days work. That's a lot more than
60 and 20 hrs.

You're right, I heard days and typed hours

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Ralph E Lindberg

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

"Rumpty" wrote in
:

He did a multistage router table process,

Thanks! This moulding can also be done on the Radial Arm Saw, I just
wanted to see if he came to his senses with this project!

I'm sure, in the hands of an artist, many things can be done with a RAS. I
can't imagine how one would cut a curved bonnet top moulding with one,
however.

Must be a failure of imagination on my part. ;-)

I had just come in from the my shop on Saturday and found the local
PBS station was running the "Router" show, where he was drilling holes
with a router. I decided they had taken their rule of "routers first"
overboard.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Owen Lawrence

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

"Rumpty" wrote in
:

He did a multistage router table process,

Thanks! This moulding can also be done on the Radial Arm Saw, I just
wanted to see if he came to his senses with this project!

I'm sure, in the hands of an artist, many things can be done with a RAS.

can't imagine how one would cut a curved bonnet top moulding with one,
however.

Must be a failure of imagination on my part. ;-)

I had just come in from the my shop on Saturday and found the local
PBS station was running the "Router" show, where he was drilling holes
with a router. I decided they had taken their rule of "routers first"
overboard.

I once saw Norm use a router and a template to plunge a series of holes for
a shelf standard. I used a drillpress and a jig to do the same thing. His
solution was better.

- Owen -

Duane Bozarth

Patriarch wrote:

"Rumpty" wrote in
:

I'm sure, in the hands of an artist, many things can be done with a
RAS. I

can't imagine how one would cut a curved bonnet top moulding with one,
however.

It's done all the time! We use the Delta Shaper heads and bits, and a
variable fixed rub collar on the table, the cuts are made with the
arbor down pointing on the table and the moulding mounted to a guide
board and fed past the bit.

Pardon me, but my estimation of your courage just went WAY up! That sounds
to me very much like an inverted, free-air shaper.

I'll pass, thank you.

Such setups can work well and can also be made to be very safe with only
a little effort...a fence/hold-down around the cutter head is able to
prevent virtually any chance of accidental contact or even approach to
the cutterhead. As with a regular spindle shaper or router in table,
cutting is "uphill". Only real disadvantage is the lower rpm as is
equivalent of using a shaper head on the table saw. This is made up
some by the larger diameter as compared to almost any small (3/4" or
less spindle) cutter.
Duane Bozarth

Owen Lawrence wrote:
I once saw Norm use a router and a template to plunge a series of holes for
a shelf standard. I used a drillpress and a jig to do the same thing. His
solution was better.

In what way would you consider it better? Only thing that would come to
mind to me would be if it were a tall bookcase it would take additional
support to hold the workpiece on the drillpress.
Rumpty

Free form moulding on the RAS is quite easy and safe. It's featured in the
Mr. Sawdust Book "How To Master The Radial Saw" by Wally Kunkel.
http://people.delphiforums.com/snotz...awdust/faq.htm

If your library of Fine Woodworking goes back a few years, this was featured
in the Sept./Oct. 1982 issue.

--

Rumpty

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Rumpty" wrote in
:

I'm sure, in the hands of an artist, many things can be done with a
RAS. I

can't imagine how one would cut a curved bonnet top moulding with one,
however.

It's done all the time! We use the Delta Shaper heads and bits, and a
variable fixed rub collar on the table, the cuts are made with the
arbor down pointing on the table and the moulding mounted to a guide
board and fed past the bit.

Pardon me, but my estimation of your courage just went WAY up! That

sounds
to me very much like an inverted, free-air shaper.

I'll pass, thank you.

Patriarch

Rumpty

Here's the correct link: http://www.mrsawdust.com/index.php

Owen Lawrence

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Owen Lawrence wrote:
I once saw Norm use a router and a template to plunge a series of holes

for
a shelf standard. I used a drillpress and a jig to do the same thing.

His
solution was better.

In what way would you consider it better? Only thing that would come to
mind to me would be if it were a tall bookcase it would take additional
support to hold the workpiece on the drillpress.

Your observation is one way it was better. His way he was moving the tool,
which was smaller than the workpiece. My way I was moving the wood, which
was smaller than the tool. That's much more cumbersome. He zipped through
two series of holes in about the same time it took me to drill just a
handful. My jig turned out to be not so easy to adjust, but it did the job
the couple of times I needed it, so that's okay. I don't know about anyone
else's jigs; I just made something up. It's got a sliding arm with a pin
that sticks into the hole you just drilled, to position you for the next
hole. Lift it up, slide the work, drop it down, etc. etc.

I also don't know where Norm got his template--perhaps he made it. The next
time I need to do this task I intend to use my jig to make a template and
see how it works out.

- Owen -

Peter Ashby

Owen Lawrence wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the jig I made up to drill the dog holes down my bench
evenly spaced (there are three rows). I have a drill guide, like a
router base and pillars you clamp a drill in. So I get the advantages of
a drill with the advantage of a router.

Peter