loutent

Default Norm's highboy... wow!

OK, I'll admit than I am a 15+ year "Normite". I know
the bearded guy takes a lot of abuse from some here on the wreck.
My standard response is that someday I hope to be
good enough to be cynical of him.

There are those of us who try to aspire to
his craftmanship. I know that some find his workmanship
beneath them (it's the nail gun most often - or is it the
staining of the cherry?)

Finally, our local PBS has stopped the fundraising BS and
started some regular programming. I have been taping the new
NYW episodes, so I was pleased to see that not one but TWO
new shows for today (Saturday). The second of which was the
first episode to the highboy made from tiger maple.

I don't see how anyone - even those with much more
craftmanship than mine certainly, can complain about a
fellow who is apparantly building *TWO* of these absolutely
stuning pieces of woodworking - just to help us poor schmucks
who might someday aspire to try.

There he is, with his "prototype" (all stained and nicely finished)
sitting in the background in the the shop, as he shows every step of
the base construction of a second piece. Noticed that he used the Leigh
jig twice to sweeten up those dovetails. Never saw him do that before.

Sometimes, after a time on the wreck, I start thinking that Norm
is just too commercial (like Villa). After today, I don't think
that I can be convinced of that.

Even if he retired now.

This guy is a craftsman in anyone's league.

Lou