Default Norm's highboy

I only saw the first episode of Norm's highboy - say
what you will on his craftsmanship, but this thing
is fantastic! Looks well made and certainly at a
high level of art.

Anyone else build one these before? Norm at least
breaks down the elements so they are understandable.

I recall a FWW article a couple of years ago, a bunch
of woodworkers in the Maryland/DC area hired a well known
woodworker to come and teach them how to build a
highboy or perhaps a secretary in the Federal style.
Some where much further along then other when he
stopped coming, but I could see how these pieces
are complicated to make.

The two art critics that showed Norm the different styles
of highboys said that in the colonial times, it would
have taken a shop about 3 weeks to build. Guess when
you got a small team working, that's possible. Me, I
would expect to be done in 3 years, at my rate of
completion.

Comments?

MJ Wallace

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Can't be any good because:

It's made by a no-talent bum with power tools.

It has brads holding things in inconspicuous places.

It's finished with Minwax products.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:12:42 -0500, George george@least wrote:

Can't be any good because:
It's made by a no-talent bum with power tools.
It has brads holding things in inconspicuous places.
It's finished with Minwax products.

Uh huh. So George, when is _your_ show on?
WillR

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:12:42 -0500, George george@least wrote:

Can't be any good because:
It's made by a no-talent bum with power tools.
It has brads holding things in inconspicuous places.
It's finished with Minwax products.

Uh huh. So George, when is _your_ show on?

I think it was George's sense of humour.

It's different. :-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

O GEORGETHEM ARE FIGHTEN WORDSI hope that your remarks are made
in jest and tongue-n-cheek?

Geoff

Dave, you need to make up a new comeback. When you get wind of someone
criticizing a show, you retort with the "when is _your_ show on".
Obviously George doesn't have a show. You should see a professional
about your passive aggressive tendencies.

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted" - Groucho Marx

Dave Hinz

On 16 Mar 2005 11:03:20 -0800, Geoff wrote:
Dave, you need to make up a new comeback. When you get wind of someone
criticizing a show, you retort with the "when is _your_ show on".

I think this might be twice, the other one being Roy, weeks or months
ago. shrug?

Obviously George doesn't have a show. You should see a professional
about your passive aggressive tendencies.

Well, maybe George does have a show, who knows. Sure, some of the stuff
Norm does drives me nuts as well (staining cherry, FFS? What's that all
about?), but he's a reasonably good craftsman, a good teacher, and
is probably the reason that more than a few of us are doing woodworking.

jo4hn

[snip]
Can't be any good because:

It's made by a no-talent bum with power tools.

It has brads holding things in inconspicuous places.

It's finished with Minwax products.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Burn it with the propane torch, wire brush it
off, and cover it with polyurethane...

:-)
j4
George

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 16 Mar 2005 11:03:20 -0800, Geoff wrote:
Dave, you need to make up a new comeback. When you get wind of someone
criticizing a show, you retort with the "when is _your_ show on".

Sure, some of the stuff
Norm does drives me nuts as well (staining cherry, FFS? What's that all
about?), but he's a reasonably good craftsman, a good teacher, and
is probably the reason that more than a few of us are doing woodworking.

Not to mention, he's not an obtuse, ill-tempered spoutoff.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "George" george@least wrote:

It's finished with Minwax products.

From what little I've seen of Norm's stuff, it will be good, but if he
ruins it by tarring and feathering it, as he seems prone to doing,
then he deserves to be varnished with the same brush.
WoodyWoodpucker

In article , george@least says...
It's made by a no-talent bum with power tools.
It has brads holding things in inconspicuous places.
It's finished with Minwax products.
Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

So, GEORGE is responsible for taking Norm off HGTV! The BUM!!!