Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Norm's highboy

I only saw the first episode of Norm's highboy - say
what you will on his craftsmanship, but this thing
is fantastic! Looks well made and certainly at a
high level of art.

Anyone else build one these before? Norm at least
breaks down the elements so they are understandable.

I recall a FWW article a couple of years ago, a bunch
of woodworkers in the Maryland/DC area hired a well known
woodworker to come and teach them how to build a
highboy or perhaps a secretary in the Federal style.
Some where much further along then other when he
stopped coming, but I could see how these pieces
are complicated to make.

The two art critics that showed Norm the different styles
of highboys said that in the colonial times, it would
have taken a shop about 3 weeks to build. Guess when
you got a small team working, that's possible. Me, I
would expect to be done in 3 years, at my rate of
completion.

Comments?

MJ Wallace