toolguy

Default Pulley question

I decided to improve my Delta 9" disk/6" belt sander. It suffers from
a lot of vibration which I've put up with for many years. I thought
I'd upgrade to a larger/heavier machine but that hasn't happened. So I
got the idea to change the belt to a link belt. (Let's not get into a
debate on the merits of Link belts here. I like them and they have
made big reductions to vibrations on machinery where I've used them.)
I pulled the covers off to discover Delta uses a ribbed belt with like
pulleys on this unit. I pulled the pulleys off and went to a
transmission shop. They matched the sizes and off I went with 2 nicely
machined 1/2" V groove pulleys. I go to put them on and behold, they
don't want to go on the shafts. I have checked them with a micrometer
and they seem to be the exact size of the old pulleys. I oiled the
holes and shafts and have filed edges of the shafts to ensure I don't
have any burrs. They seem to be fine. I haven't resorted to blasting
them with a rubber mallet yet. Is this a common problem? Is there a
"trick" to getting snug fitting new pulleys on shafts? Any thoughts
to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

Neil

Joe

Two things you can do...

1. Thoroughly run a file around the shaft to make sure that all areas of the
shaft are really clean and bump/burr/muck free. Repeat on the inside of the
pulley with a round file. Be careful not to totally ruin the parts... If
the shaft has a keyway (which it should!) make sure the keyway is fully
clean and that the key is inserted all the way. If the keyway has a "ramp"
towards the back portion, the key may walk up and jam the pulley. Try
keeping the key out until the pulley is already on if you can (keyway has to
extend to end of shaft).

2. Return the pulleys and/or ream them out slightly larger.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com
V8013

In or near NJ and ride a Motorcycle: http://tinyurl.com/4zkw8

Young Life? eMail me!

"toolguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Teamcasa

"toolguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Evidently they are not the same size. If cleaning all the burrs, keyway
size and height are correct, then the hole is too small.

Dave (Who won't bother with the link belt issue)

http://www.usenet.com
Greg O

"toolguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any thoughts
to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

Neil

Are you certain that the shaft and new pulleys are the right size? I
question whether this sander is made "over seas" and may be metric.
Greg

Greg O

"toolguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I decided to improve my Delta 9" disk/6" belt sander. Is there a
"trick" to getting snug fitting new pulleys on shafts? Any thoughts
to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

Neil

Is this the sander? Model 31-695?
http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=830
If it is then the shafts are definitely metric.
Greg

toolguy

That's it! Thanks for pointing out my oversight. They measured the
old pulleys and assumed they were 5/8". When in fact they are 16 mm
shafts. The 5/8" pulleys they sold me are about 15.8 mm. Back to the
store!

No Spam

"toolguy" wrote:

Is there a
"trick" to getting snug fitting new pulleys on shafts? Any thoughts
to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

No need to use hammers or open out the holes. Just stick the pulleys
in a pan of boiling water for ten minutes - they will fly on easily.

LRod

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:15:07 +0000, No Spam
wrote:

"toolguy" wrote:

Is there a
"trick" to getting snug fitting new pulleys on shafts? Any thoughts
to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

No need to use hammers or open out the holes. Just stick the pulleys
in a pan of boiling water for ten minutes - they will fly on easily.

....Never to be removed.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

max

Emery paper on the shaft and heat the pulley. It will expand a couple of
thousandths
max

Run emery paper on the shaft.
WL
"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

"toolguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Joe

Emery paper on the shaft and heat the pulley. It will expand a couple of
thousandths

Should he ever need to remove the pulley, the heating process might have to
be repeated... I'd suggest getting it the right size to slid on at room
pemperature the first time.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com
V8013

In or near NJ and ride a Motorcycle: http://tinyurl.com/4zkw8

Young Life? eMail me!

Backlash

Oh, the pulley can be removed, all right. I have worked with machinery drive
coupling halves of 1,400 lbs weight, with a 12" bore, 24" through the hub,
with a 2" square key. They are heated and installed with a .002 inch of
shrink fit for each inch of shaft diameter, being .024 undersize in this
case. Whenever removal is necessary, heat and a puller is used, same as most
cases, just a hell of a lot bigger hydraulic one. Hopefully the pulleys one
has aren't potmetal G In any case anti-sieze compound should be used for
this type of mechanical assembly. It makes installation and removal much
easier, and reduces broaching of the bore. In general, keys should be
pre-fitted by marking the "top" of the key to retain orientation. Fit the
key to the shaft by dressing key and shaft carefully with a file to match,
then fit key to hub using same method. Fit hub to shaft by polishing with
abrasive cloth, considering whether it will be a shrink or a slide fit. Mark
top of key of a slide fit with magic marker and attempt to install pulley
over it. Alternately, key height can be measured with the proper tools. If
it doesn't go, file the top of the key to remove scratch marks left by the
hub until it does. The height of the key should normally be the only factor
left at this point, barring unseen complications. This is a tried and true
millwright technique that works. I hope this can help someone along the way.

RJ, Millwright foreman of days gone by.

wrote:

"toolguy" wrote:

Is there a
"trick" to getting snug fitting new pulleys on shafts? Any thoughts
to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

No need to use hammers or open out the holes. Just stick the pulleys
in a pan of boiling water for ten minutes - they will fly on easily.

...Never to be removed.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Greg O

"Don" wrote in message
k.net...
Won't expanding the pulley make the hole smaller?

Nope, when you heat a ring shape, such as a pulley, the hole will get
larger.
Greg

Richard Cline

In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
k.net...
Won't expanding the pulley make the hole smaller?

Nope, when you heat a ring shape, such as a pulley, the hole will get
larger.
Greg

Is that because the air in the hole expands more than the metal and
forces it to be bigger?

Don

"Richard Cline" wrote in message
In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
k.net...
Won't expanding the pulley make the hole smaller?

Nope, when you heat a ring shape, such as a pulley, the hole will get
larger.
Greg

Is that because the air in the hole expands more than the metal and
forces it to be bigger?

I wonder what scientific property allows one portion of the metal to expand
(the outside surface of the pulley) while the other part contracts (the
hole).

George E. Cawthon

Don wrote:
"Richard Cline" wrote in message

In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
link.net...

Won't expanding the pulley make the hole smaller?

Nope, when you heat a ring shape, such as a pulley, the hole will get
larger.
Greg

Is that because the air in the hole expands more than the metal and
forces it to be bigger?

I wonder what scientific property allows one portion of the metal to expand
(the outside surface of the pulley) while the other part contracts (the
hole).

None. Once upon a time, I though the hole
contracted as the piece was warmed, but only
because I am not a materials person and didn't
really visualize what would happen. But, someone
explained the shape/size of the control acts just
like the piece of metal taken from the hole. As
an example, the diameter of a dime sized piece
expands .004 inches from temperature A to B, if
you measure a dime size hole in a plate of the
same material, the hole diameter will expand .004
inches from temperature A to B.

It also makes sense from a visualization of
molecules. In a solid, the molecules will be
fixed at a specific distance from each other at a
specific temperature. As the temperature
increase, the vibrate faster and the distance
between molecules increases. Visualize the
molecules as a single layer of marbles touching
each other, then take a bunch of marbles out so
that a hole is formed, i.e, there is a ring of
touching marbles around the hole. As the item
gets warmer the marbles push away from each other
and thus the hole gets bigger. The marbles around
the hole can't get closer to each other unless the
molecules become colder and they can't squeeze
past each other into the hole because the
repelling forces won't let them.
Joe

None. Once upon a time, I though the hole contracted as the piece was
warmed, but only because I am not a materials person and didn't really
visualize what would happen. But, someone explained the shape/size of the
control acts just like the piece of metal taken from the hole. As an
example, the diameter of a dime sized piece expands .004 inches from
temperature A to B, if you measure a dime size hole in a plate of the same
material, the hole diameter will expand .004 inches from temperature A to
B.

It also makes sense from a visualization of molecules. In a solid, the
molecules will be fixed at a specific distance from each other at a
specific temperature. As the temperature increase, the vibrate faster and
the distance between molecules increases. Visualize the molecules as a
single layer of marbles touching each other, then take a bunch of marbles
out so that a hole is formed, i.e, there is a ring of touching marbles
around the hole. As the item gets warmer the marbles push away from each
other and thus the hole gets bigger. The marbles around the hole can't
get closer to each other unless the molecules become colder and they can't
squeeze past each other into the hole because the repelling forces won't
let them.

In short, the material doesn't expand in the path of least resistance, it
expands as a whole from the center. Sorta... Try bending a small tube. It
is harder to bend initially than a solid rod because you have to "crimp"
four walls of material versus just the two outside walls of a bar. In a
pulley, the inside ring cannot shrink into itself so the unit expands
outwards and "stretches" the outer portion of the ring rather than
compressing the molecules of the inner ring.

Sorta...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com
V8013

In or near NJ and ride a Motorcycle: http://tinyurl.com/4zkw8

Young Life? eMail me!

Don

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Don wrote:
"Richard Cline" wrote in message

In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

So, are you saying the metal, upon expansion, acts like the hole is not
there, that the whole thing is solid?
Incidently, I know that heating metal up, like pulleys, works because I've
done it.

Don

"Joe" wrote in message
None. Once upon a time, I though the hole contracted as the piece was
warmed, but only because I am not a materials person and didn't really
visualize what would happen. But, someone explained the shape/size of the
control acts just like the piece of metal taken from the hole. As an
example, the diameter of a dime sized piece expands .004 inches from
temperature A to B, if you measure a dime size hole in a plate of the
same material, the hole diameter will expand .004 inches from temperature
A to B.

[...]

Good explanation.

Sorta...

I think. LOL

Greg O

"Don" wrote in message
k.net...

So, are you saying the metal, upon expansion, acts like the hole is not
there, that the whole thing is solid?
Incidently, I know that heating metal up, like pulleys, works because I've
done it.

It may clear it up if you think of a metal ring instead of a pulley. Cut the
metal ring and lay it out flat and heat it up. The length will change
considerably, although at the same proportion as the diameter. If the metal
rod was rolled back into a ring and heated you have the "length" expanding
and pushing against its self causing the hole to get larger. Although the
pulley will expand in all directions, the ring shape causes the hole to open
up when heated.
Confused yet?
Greg

Don

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Don" wrote in message
k.net...

So, are you saying the metal, upon expansion, acts like the hole is not
there, that the whole thing is solid?
Incidently, I know that heating metal up, like pulleys, works because
I've done it.

It may clear it up if you think of a metal ring instead of a pulley. Cut
the metal ring and lay it out flat and heat it up. The length will change
considerably, although at the same proportion as the diameter. If the
metal rod was rolled back into a ring and heated you have the "length"
expanding and pushing against its self causing the hole to get larger.
Although the pulley will expand in all directions, the ring shape causes
the hole to open up when heated.
Confused yet?

LOL
Actually, that was a good explanation, Greg.

George E. Cawthon

Don wrote:

"Richard Cline" wrote in message

In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

Yep. Doesn't matter whether is a hole or not, at
least theoretically for all practical purposes.
Norman D. Crow

"Don" wrote in message
k.net...

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Don" wrote in message
k.net...

So, are you saying the metal, upon expansion, acts like the hole is not
there, that the whole thing is solid?
Incidently, I know that heating metal up, like pulleys, works because
I've done it.

It may clear it up if you think of a metal ring instead of a pulley. Cut
the metal ring and lay it out flat and heat it up. The length will

change
considerably, although at the same proportion as the diameter. If the
metal rod was rolled back into a ring and heated you have the "length"
expanding and pushing against its self causing the hole to get larger.
Although the pulley will expand in all directions, the ring shape causes
the hole to open up when heated.
Confused yet?

LOL
Actually, that was a good explanation, Greg.

Some years back, in another lifetime, I worked part time for a good friend
who owned a service station. Learned a trick from him about the pressed on
alternator pulleys used by Chrysler. When doing alternator work that
required removing the pulley, when it was time to reinstall it, he would put
the alternator in the ice dispenser for a while, then put the pulley itself
on an electric hotplate for about five minutes. Get alternator from freezer,
pick up pulley with channelocks, voila! Pulley falls right on, no need to
press it on. Once the temperatures return to normal, shaft has expanded &
pulley has contracted, now it will require a puller to remove it again.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Joe

Some years back, in another lifetime, I worked part time for a good friend
who owned a service station. Learned a trick from him about the pressed on
alternator pulleys used by Chrysler. When doing alternator work that
required removing the pulley, when it was time to reinstall it, he would
put
the alternator in the ice dispenser for a while, then put the pulley
itself
on an electric hotplate for about five minutes. Get alternator from
freezer,
pick up pulley with channelocks, voila! Pulley falls right on, no need to
press it on. Once the temperatures return to normal, shaft has expanded &
pulley has contracted, now it will require a puller to remove it again.

Except for the fact that the water on the alternator might do it's own
negative magic to future performance, that is a better way to do it anyhow.
It removes the danger of overstressing any bearings via the press procedure.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com
V8013

In or near NJ and ride a Motorcycle: http://tinyurl.com/4zkw8

Young Life? eMail me!

Norman D. Crow

&
pulley has contracted, now it will require a puller to remove it again.

Except for the fact that the water on the alternator might do it's own
negative magic to future performance, that is a better way to do it

anyhow.
It removes the danger of overstressing any bearings via the press

procedure.
--

Only "water" involved was whatever small amount of condensation could occur
on the alternator after it was removed from the freezer. To clarify, the ice

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Joe

Occasionally got a strange look
if someone went for their bag while an alternator was in there.

Just be glad nobody brought it to the register for purchase.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com
V8013

In or near NJ and ride a Motorcycle: http://tinyurl.com/4zkw8

Young Life? eMail me!

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:30:52 GMT, "Don"
wrote:

"Richard Cline" wrote in message
In article ,
"Greg O" wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
k.net...
Won't expanding the pulley make the hole smaller?

Nope, when you heat a ring shape, such as a pulley, the hole will get
larger.
Greg

Is that because the air in the hole expands more than the metal and
forces it to be bigger?

I wonder what scientific property allows one portion of the metal to expand
(the outside surface of the pulley) while the other part contracts (the
hole).

the hole isn't part of the metal. it's where the metal isn't. look at
it like this: say you have a piece of wire. you heat it, it expands
and gets longer. now say you bend it into a circle. you heat it, it
gets longer. the corcle gets bigger, both inside and outside diameters
Ken

Cooling the shaft does work. The mechanics, at the utility where I
worked, sometimes wrapped the shaft with dry ice to cool it. A simpler
approach is to follow the coupling and bearing manufacturer's
recomendations. Instead of the 1 to 2 thousanths of shrink per inch of
shaft that mechanics seem to hold sacred, machine it for 1/2 thousanths
shrink per inch of shaft with a minimum of 1/2 thousanth as per mfg.
recomendations. They also recommend that the coupling, bearing or
whatever be heated in an oil bath to 300 to 350 deg F. It's a lot
better for the metal than a torch or the shock of a superhot coupling
suddenly being slamed onto a shaft that has been frozen with dry ice.
With the smaller shrink fit this heating is more than enough to let it
slide on easily. It comes off more easily too. I switched to that
approach and never had any problems. Warning: Following mfg.
recomendation could lead to more serious illnesses like reading
instruction manuals.

Ken

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Richard Cline wrote:
In article ,
s wrote:

the hole isn't part of the metal. it's where the metal isn't. look at
it like this: say you have a piece of wire. you heat it, it expands
and gets longer. now say you bend it into a circle. you heat it, it
gets longer. the corcle gets bigger, both inside and outside diameters

Yea but when you heat the wire, it gets thicker. That means one side
would move toward the center of the circle.

Wrong! counter-intuitive as it may be, that is *NOT* what happens.

Simple disproof:
Consider a _square_ of metal.
With a square hole in the middle of it

When the sides of the square expand, the top/bottom move further apart.
The part of the sides that are against the top/bottom, expand exactly
as much as the top/bottom do. The part of the sides against the hole
_also_ expand.
When the top/bottom of the square expand, the sides move further apart.
The part of the top/bottom that are against the sides, expand exactly
as much as the sides do. The part of the top/bottom against the hole
_also_ expand.

There's another simple proof:

take a _solid_ chunk of material and draw a circle on it, to "represent"
the 'hole'. Now heat it up. what happens to the size of the drawn circle?

Now, for the_hard_ question:
Does it make any difference if you cut along that drawn line,
before or after you heat the material?

Just cut along the line, leave both pieces where they are, and heat.
Hmmm. the center circle gets bigger. yet it still fits in the outer
piece. The hole _must_ get larger, too. grin

pulley ratio / replacement motor question Roy Smith Woodworking 6 December 14th 04 04:31 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Indesit Washing Machine replacing pulley wheel Joel Payne UK diy 3 July 7th 04 07:07 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM