Wilson Lamb

Run emery paper on the shaft.
WL
"Joe" wrote in message
news:dOV0e.23881$qN3.2461@trndny01...
Two things you can do...

1. Thoroughly run a file around the shaft to make sure that all areas of
the shaft are really clean and bump/burr/muck free. Repeat on the inside
of the pulley with a round file. Be careful not to totally ruin the
parts... If the shaft has a keyway (which it should!) make sure the
keyway is fully clean and that the key is inserted all the way. If the
keyway has a "ramp" towards the back portion, the key may walk up and jam
the pulley. Try keeping the key out until the pulley is already on if you
can (keyway has to extend to end of shaft).

2. Return the pulleys and/or ream them out slightly larger.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com
V8013

In or near NJ and ride a Motorcycle: http://tinyurl.com/4zkw8

Young Life? eMail me!

"toolguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I decided to improve my Delta 9" disk/6" belt sander. It suffers from
a lot of vibration which I've put up with for many years. I thought
I'd upgrade to a larger/heavier machine but that hasn't happened. So I
got the idea to change the belt to a link belt. (Let's not get into a
debate on the merits of Link belts here. I like them and they have
made big reductions to vibrations on machinery where I've used them.)
I pulled the covers off to discover Delta uses a ribbed belt with like
pulleys on this unit. I pulled the pulleys off and went to a
transmission shop. They matched the sizes and off I went with 2 nicely
machined 1/2" V groove pulleys. I go to put them on and behold, they
don't want to go on the shafts. I have checked them with a micrometer
and they seem to be the exact size of the old pulleys. I oiled the
holes and shafts and have filed edges of the shafts to ensure I don't
have any burrs. They seem to be fine. I haven't resorted to blasting
them with a rubber mallet yet. Is this a common problem? Is there a
"trick" to getting snug fitting new pulleys on shafts? Any thoughts
to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

Neil