Teamcasa

"toolguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I decided to improve my Delta 9" disk/6" belt sander. It suffers from
a lot of vibration which I've put up with for many years. I thought
I'd upgrade to a larger/heavier machine but that hasn't happened. So I
got the idea to change the belt to a link belt. (Let's not get into a
debate on the merits of Link belts here. I like them and they have
made big reductions to vibrations on machinery where I've used them.)
I pulled the covers off to discover Delta uses a ribbed belt with like
pulleys on this unit. I pulled the pulleys off and went to a
transmission shop. They matched the sizes and off I went with 2 nicely
machined 1/2" V groove pulleys. I go to put them on and behold, they
don't want to go on the shafts. I have checked them with a micrometer
and they seem to be the exact size of the old pulleys. I oiled the
holes and shafts and have filed edges of the shafts to ensure I don't
have any burrs. They seem to be fine. I haven't resorted to blasting
them with a rubber mallet yet. Is this a common problem? Is there a
"trick" to getting snug fitting new pulleys on shafts? Any thoughts
to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

Neil

Evidently they are not the same size. If cleaning all the burrs, keyway
size and height are correct, then the hole is too small.

Dave (Who won't bother with the link belt issue)

http://www.usenet.com