toolguy

Default Pulley question

I decided to improve my Delta 9" disk/6" belt sander. It suffers from
a lot of vibration which I've put up with for many years. I thought
I'd upgrade to a larger/heavier machine but that hasn't happened. So I
got the idea to change the belt to a link belt. (Let's not get into a
debate on the merits of Link belts here. I like them and they have
made big reductions to vibrations on machinery where I've used them.)
I pulled the covers off to discover Delta uses a ribbed belt with like
pulleys on this unit. I pulled the pulleys off and went to a
transmission shop. They matched the sizes and off I went with 2 nicely
machined 1/2" V groove pulleys. I go to put them on and behold, they
don't want to go on the shafts. I have checked them with a micrometer
and they seem to be the exact size of the old pulleys. I oiled the
holes and shafts and have filed edges of the shafts to ensure I don't
have any burrs. They seem to be fine. I haven't resorted to blasting
them with a rubber mallet yet. Is this a common problem? Is there a
"trick" to getting snug fitting new pulleys on shafts? Any thoughts
to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

Neil