Paul Gilbert

Default Jet vs. Powermatic 66

I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's about
1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced with
a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message
I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's
about 1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying
that extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be
replaced with a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

I used the Jet a couple of times and liked it. The PM66 is nice, but so is
that new jointer.

Enjoy retirement.

Wes Stewart

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:28:34 -0600, "Paul Gilbert"
wrote:

I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's about
1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced with
a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

FWIW. I bought Delta for various reasons but before doing so I
shopped Woodworker's Source here in Tucson. They have Jet and PM and,
according to what they told me, all of the employees seem to have Jets
at home and when the old PM was replaced in the shop in the back they
installed a Jet.

jo4hn

Paul Gilbert wrote:

I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's about
1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced with
a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

Upon retirement, I bought the PM66 because I deserved it, I wanted that
one, and to hell with the extra K$. You get what you pay for and I have
never regretted that decision. A few years later, my old Sears jointer
tried to maim me so I gave it away and bought the Griz G0500. How many
years do you have left and should you short yourself for a few bucks?
mahalo,
jo4hn
Dan Valleskey

you always wanted a PM- what's the problem?? Sure, the Jet is 98
percent as good a saw as a PM66. But it just ain't the same thing.

Spend the bucks.

-Dan V.

wrote:

I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's about
1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced with
a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

John Grossbohlin

"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message
I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's
about 1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying
that extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be
replaced with a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

I've got a Jet cabinet saw with the 50" fence now... upgraded from a Jet
contractor saw with 30" fence. I've been very happy with the saw. I put it
on a Delta mobile base and added an outfeed table that is easily removed if
I have to move the saw. The cabinet saw compliments my DJ-20 jointer well
and they are my most used stationary tools.

John

Bruce Barnett

"Paul Gilbert" writes:

I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's about
1K less than the Powermatic 66.

While not retiring, I'm at exactly the same point, after my old 34-300
died. I regretted not getting the PowerMatic bandsaw (over the Jet
deluxe) and thought about the JTAS-10X30/708663MBK versus the
PowerMatic 66.

The Powermatic 66 has the following advantages as far as I can tell:

Yellow :-)
Beefier Trunions - Easier to operate blade lift/tilt
MADE is the USA
More polishing
150 more pounds

I think the guard is better. But it's the same fence, AFAICT.
The exploded parts diagram is completely different.

While I'd like to support the US, $1K is a LOT of support. I'm not
sure what the extra $1K gets me, besides yellow.

I think the Powermatic 66 is shipped assembled, right? Will Amazon
shipping provide a way for it to get off the tailgate and onto the
floor?

I have to get the saw into my basement w/Bilco door. I'm thinking the
Jet will be easier. It's certainly lighter.

BTW - does anyone else think the Jet catalog and Jet website is very
hard to get info from?

Jet offers 300 different table saw packages, but they don't describe
them in the catalog, and their web site doesn't really describe them
well. They all use the same picture, and I'm not sure which model
number corresponds to which option.

On page 10 of the 2004 catalog is a picture of the massive cast iron
trunnions. I'm not sure if this is in the JTAS-10X or not. I suppect
it's in the Powermmatic 66, and not all of the Exacta saws.

Page 12 describes the 708436 model. This is no longer available, and
the wheels look really puny compared to the other Exacta saws.
I assume the JTAS-10X doesn't look like this.

Also - many web sites don't let to make your own combination. It
looks like I have to get a JTAS without a table or right cast iron
wing, and get a plain table as an option. I was interested in one with
a router cut-out, but finding this combination is difficult. I think
Southern Tool has it, but they charge $150 extra for tailgate service
over Amazon. I'm looking at the 30" fence because I have a space
problem, and do small projects.

Stephen M

I have the JTAS and like it very much. You will be happy with either. My
only beef with the jet is the HDMW??? (whatever you call that white slippy
plastic) faces on the fence. They are not dead flat, maybe out by .01 on a
couple spots. Three are some articles somewhere on the internet that explain
shiming or correct but it's just not bad enough to fix. All things other
things being equal I would opt for a laminate-covered fence. That's my only
beef and a very small one. Not sure what facing the PM uses.

Why should you get the PM66? How does the joke go? Why do dogs lick their
balls? Because they can!

Seriously, If it's not a hardship it *will* make you feel good to have what
I think is generally accepted as the best. If you think you have to
compromise (I did, and that was the right calll for me) then compromise.

Only you can decide. The good news is that both choices are winners.

Enjoy the new toy.

Steve

"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message
I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my

shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's

about
1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced

with
a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

Jim

Paul:

I have used a Delta Unisaw for almost 15 years in our shop here at
McFeely's. I recently purchased a used PM66 for myself, and finally got
around to setting it up in the basement. After making a few cuts, I called
my wife down to take a look. First, she didn't know I was using the saw
because it was so well balanced, and had enough mass to damp most of the
noise. Second, she couldn't believe how smooth the cuts were (and I couldn't
either). I made one rip, and the only way I could tell which edge was sawn
rather than jointed was by the knife marks on the jointed edge. The SAWN
edge was better! I was using a Freud LU83 Anti-Vibe thin kerf blade (which
we sell). Now my wife knows a thing or two about tools and shops because her
father built big boats in a small shop (33 ft cabin cruiser of his own
design for Chesapeake Bay was the largest), and while not a wood worker, she
has had enough exposure to wood working to be impressed by the PM66. I can't
speak to the quality of the Jet, but I can tell you that the PM66 is every
bit as good as you have heard.

HTH

Jim Ray, President
McFeely's Square Drive Screws
www.mcfeelys.com

"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message
I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my

shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's

about
1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced

with
a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

Seeker

That's right, You can't take it with you so spend it now and enjoy.

Don Dando

I bit the bullet and bought a PM66, though I had gone to the store for a
Unisaw. All the way home I said to myself "After wanting a Unisaw for 30+
years at the last moment I clutch up and get the PM66, hope I didn't make a
mistake". I've never used a Unisaw nor a Jet but each time I use the PM66 I
have a smile on my face. When woodworking magazines rate various saws it
doesn't hurt my feelings any that the PM66 usually comes out on top, not the
best saw for the money, just the best saw.

So my suggestion is buy the best and cry only once!

Don Dando
"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message
I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my

shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's

about
1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced

with
a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

Duane Bozarth

Bruce Barnett wrote:
The Powermatic 66 has the following advantages as far as I can tell:

Yellow :-)
Beefier Trunions - Easier to operate blade lift/tilt
MADE is the USA
More polishing
150 more pounds

I think the guard is better. But it's the same fence, AFAICT.
The exploded parts diagram is completely different.

While I'd like to support the US, $1K is a LOT of support. I'm not
sure what the extra $1K gets me, besides yellow.

150-lb, mostly in the castings...that's significant.

I think the Powermatic 66 is shipped assembled, right? Will Amazon
shipping provide a way for it to get off the tailgate and onto the
floor?

Have to tell them it's home delivery...don't assume, make sure. That's
a case where I'd talk to them directly.

PM66 user approaching 20+ years...picked it up in McMinnville meself
max

You guys do know that Jet bought Powermatic a few years back right?
I bought a new 66 in 1997 and it was a nightmare to get right. The factory
sent three tops before it was right and I just regretted it.
I hope Jet made things right with the factory in Tennessee.
I would try and look at a Powermatic in a showroom next to a Jet before you
decide to spend the extra 1K. I would also try and look at a General in
person.
max

wrote:

I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's about
1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced with
a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

Duane Bozarth

Jim wrote:
....regarding PM66...

because it was so well balanced, and had enough mass to damp most of the
noise. ....

Yes, that extra mass is well worth the price, Jim.

Newcomers to the shop, I just flick the switch to let them hear/feel it
run--it just has an "attitude" that invariably impresses those who've
only had/seen others...
Leon

"Paul Gilbert" wrote in message
I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's
about 1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying
that extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be
replaced with a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

Neither saw will do anything that the other will not. If you were in a
production setting and the saw ran all day long, day in and day out, the
Powermatic would probably be the better choice. For a small business of
home shop, the Jet will not disappoint. If your heart is set on the
Powermatic for other than functional reasons, get the Powermatic. I have
had the Jet for about 5 years now and it is my work horse.

Leon

"Jim" wrote in message

Snip

Second, she couldn't believe how smooth the cuts were (and I couldn't
either). I made one rip, and the only way I could tell which edge was sawn
rather than jointed was by the knife marks on the jointed edge. The SAWN
edge was better!

With all due respect Jim, IMHO any cabinet saw set up properly should
produce those type results. My Jet cabinet saw has been producing better
than jointer smooth for about 5 years now. Shiny smooth actually. I have
indicated that since I only use a jointer to straighten the edge of wood
that I may get rid of my jointer. I can straighten a board on my TS with a
simple jig. Still, I would not turn down the Powermatic and perhaps I am a
bit happier that I chose the Jet over the Unisaw after reading your
comments. ;~)

Bruce Barnett

"Stephen M" writes:

I have the JTAS and like it very much. You will be happy with
either. My only beef with the jet is the HDMW??? (whatever you call
that white slippy plastic) faces on the fence. [snip] All things
other things being equal I would opt for a laminate-covered fence.

I personally plan to have several fences with T-Tracks instead of
that plastic fence.

I read a review that didn't like the precision Fence upgrade. He
said that (1) You have to use special bolts you have to buy from Jet
to make your own fence (2) It was harder to drill the holes for these
bolts, and (3) the precision fence was flimsier.

I think I'll pick the standard fence when I buy the JTAS.

Bob G.

wrote:

I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's about
1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced with
a long bed version for around 1K.
Any advice on the Jet table saw?

=========================
No idea of what that Model No. 798...yada yada Jet really is....BUT
I am already retired...only for 6-7 years...so I am still a very
young guy...lol...

But I purchased a Jet Cabinet saw 15 years ago that has seen plenty
of use over the years.... Honestly it has been absolutely problem and
trouble free....PERIOD.... My sons may wear it out after I'm dead but
I kind of doubt it...my grandchildren have a better chance of doing
that...

I too like the Powermatic...but my choice was really between the Jet
and a Unisaw .......I picked the Jet over the Unisaw
not to save a couple of hundred bucks...it just had a top that was
machined better then the unisaw setting beside it in the showroom
....in other words I picked it because it looked prettier... dumb way
for sure...but after 15 years or so I am still as happy and as
confidient in the saw as I was on the day I ran the first board thru
it...

At the time Delta did not own Biesmeyer and the Bies was optional on
both the Jet & Delta saws... no brainer to go with Biesmeyer ..which
is probabally a major reason I like the saw so much...

HOWEVER...... When I retired I had a H E double hockey puck
amount of lumber stashed away and in the 6-7 years since I retired
I am now almost... out of stock... and I am getting sticker shock at
what lumber is selling for now.... LOL... who cares I can not take it
with me ...

Lots of luck...

Bob Griffiths
============================

Mark Howell

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

I personally plan to have several fences with T-Tracks instead of
that plastic fence.

I read a review that didn't like the precision Fence upgrade. He
said that (1) You have to use special bolts you have to buy from Jet
to make your own fence (2) It was harder to drill the holes for these
bolts, and (3) the precision fence was flimsier.

Those special bolts are a screw/clip combo so the fence face goes
on and off with the tap of a mallet. The clips do require 2-tier routing;
one to recess the clip and the other to clear the screw head.
Unfortunately, the uhmw fence suffers from compression distortion
with these clips. I 86'd the uhmw and put on a nice baltic birch face.

I think I'll pick the standard fence when I buy the JTAS.

FWIW, I have the precision fence, and its far from flimsy. Perhaps
they were talking about the standard version as opposed to the
commercial version?

Jerry

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

[...]

This is exactly the reason my Jet is on the truck for delivery by Friday or
Monday. I lusted after the PM66 for a few years but came time to push the
button to buy I just couldn't justify the extra k buck. I make sawdust on
the
weekends. If I ran the saw 8 hours a day 5 to7 days a week then yeah the
PM66 would be on the truck.

Bruce Barnett

"Mark Howell" writes:

FWIW, I have the precision fence, and its far from flimsy. Perhaps
they were talking about the standard version as opposed to the
commercial version?

I'm not sure.
I wish I could find that review. I may have mis-spoke, but I thought
he said the micro-precision was thinner in metal than the the
non-micro-adjust one. I thought the word "flimsier" was used.

I really wish WHM/Jet had a web page like Dell uses when configuring
computers. You select the main piece, then options, sub-options,
etc. If you didn't understand an option, there would be a pop-up with
more info.

Art Greenberg

On 10 Mar 2005 11:55:46 GMT, Bruce Barnett wrote:

I'm not sure.
I wish I could find that review. I may have mis-spoke, but I thought
he said the micro-precision was thinner in metal than the the
non-micro-adjust one. I thought the word "flimsier" was used.

I have the JTAS10 with the micro-adjustable fence. There's nothing flimsy
about it. The only disappointments, for me, are that the micro-adjust has lots
of backlash, and the quick-release UHMW plastic sides are not perfectly flat.

So, I don't use the micro-adjust all that often (tap-tap-tap works just fine).
And there recently was a discussion here about the quick-release sides, where
fixes and alternatives were well discussed.

--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse DOT net
Andrew Barss

Paul Gilbert wrote:
: I am about to get pushed out the door at the office and want to get my shop
: in first class shape before retirement. The old contractors table saw is
: going to be replaced and I have always longed for a Powermatic 66.
: Today I stumbled into a deal on the Jet 708663MBK for $1,320. That's about
: 1K less than the Powermatic 66. I am having a hard time justifying that
: extra as I sit looking at my old Sears jointer. That could be replaced with
: a long bed version for around 1K.
: Any advice on the Jet table saw?

It's a great saw. Powerful, accurate, etc. Glass-smooth cuts, easy to
adjust, and great service if you need it.

If it's a choice between this saw and a good jointer, or a Powermatic an
no new jointer, I'd strongly advise the first.

-- Andy Barss

Bruce Barnett

One more thing that I noticed, and is influencing my decision is a
comparison of two Jet JTAS-10X configurations on amazon:

JET 708662XK JTAS-10XL-30 Cabinet Saw with
30" Commercial Fence without table board Left Tilt $1349.99
+ JET 708324 27"x16" Table Board $59.99
Subtract $25 for amazon sale

Total: $1384.98

JET 708663MBK 3 HP Left Tilt Tablesaw with 50" Fence Premier Fence and Mobile Base $1499.99
- $25 amazon sale

Total: $1474.99

So it seems for $90 more, you get the following:
Upgrade 30" fence to 50" fence
Larger outboard table
legs for table
Mobile Base

I wasn't going to get a 50" because my basement is cramped, but this is
hard to resist. And the mobile base makes it easier for me to move it around.

This configuration was first listed March 11. It looks like they are throwing
a mobile base for free. That's a $250 value I think.

Bingo! I know what I want.

Too bad the JTAS doesn't qualify for the $50 rebate

Jerry

GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT,

My JET 708663MBK 3 HP from Amazon is on the truck to be at my house Tuesday.

GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
One more thing that I noticed, and is influencing my decision is a
comparison of two Jet JTAS-10X configurations on amazon:

John Grossbohlin

"Jerry" wrote in message
GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT,

My JET 708663MBK 3 HP from Amazon is on the truck to be at my house
Tuesday.

GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT

Great Choice!

....and validates my choice last year of a 3 HP Jet with 50" fence. ;-)

John

Andrew Barss

John Grossbohlin wrote:

: "Jerry" wrote in message
: ...
: GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT,
:
: My JET 708663MBK 3 HP from Amazon is on the truck to be at my house
: Tuesday.
:
: GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT

: Great Choice!

: ...and validates my choice last year of a 3 HP Jet with 50" fence. ;-)

Mine too, and it came with a router and router lifter.

-- Andy Barss
Bruce Barnett

"Jerry" writes:

GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT,

My JET 708663MBK 3 HP from Amazon is on the truck to be at my house Tuesday.

GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT

BTW, I suspect the free mobile base is not a mistake, but a response
to Delta's similar offer. So does that qualify as a gloat?

Who the heck cares. I ordered the 708663MBK 3 HP as well.

GLOAT GLOAT GLOAT.

Bandsaw Choice: Jet or Powermatic tzipple Woodworking 27 November 7th 04 09:02 AM
Powermatic 60B 8" Jointer - Update Gary Woodworking 0 July 26th 04 05:37 PM
Powermatic and Dewalt customer service. A simple story.... j.duprie Woodworking 5 July 24th 04 02:15 AM
Powermatic Model 66 LP Woodworking 16 May 10th 04 08:54 PM
Is Powermatic Mortiser Easier to Cut with??? Larry C in Auburn, WA Woodworking 23 January 18th 04 06:22 PM