Tim Zimmerman

Default Rain keeps damaging woodstocks.

My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have
storage because our shed is 80-percent full. Today, a bad storm
passes thru our neighborhood and destroys many of my MDF
boards, which were temporarily covered with a silver tarp.

The woods were relocated far away from the protection of
the house when a couple of black widows were found on the
boards. I have a large roll of thin, clear plastic wrap that I will
use to wrap the ones I salvage. What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tim Zimmerman" wrote in message
m...
My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have
storage because our shed is 80-percent full.

What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

Use the other 20% of the shed.

TaskMule

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Tim Zimmerman" wrote in message
m...
My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have
storage because our shed is 80-percent full.

What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

Use the other 20% of the shed.

Hard to believe some of the questions here

Lew Hodgett

Tim Zimmerman wrote:

snip
What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

Start with some concrete blocks that are in contact with the ground.

Span the concrete blocks at 4 ft intervals with sistered 2x4s.

(You can cut pressure treated 2x4x96 lumber cut in half and nailed together)

Lay boards on sistered 2x4s.

Stick each layer as required.

Cover with silver tarp and weight down with more concrete blocks making
sure that you allow air to flow thru the lumber.

Get a beer and praise your work.

HTH

Lew
Tim Zimmerman

"TaskMule" wrote in message news:H6idnSBa-
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Use the other 20% of the shed.

Hard to believe some of the questions here

I can't agree more. Due to spiders, wife freaks if she finds wood in
the shed or the shed is 81-percent full. Also, the wood rack in
question must look practical and holdup to a downpour.

Charlie Self

Tim Zimmerman Feb 19, 1:18 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: "Tim Zimmerman" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:18:31 GMT

"TaskMule" wrote in message news:H6idnSBa-
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Use the other 20% of the shed.

Hard to believe some of the questions here

I can't agree more. Due to spiders, wife freaks if she finds wood in
the shed or the shed is 81-percent full. Also, the wood rack in
question must look practical and holdup to a downpour. "

Look practical? I use 90% of a shed to hold my drying wood, though the
fragile stuff (MDF, particleboard, hardwood plywood, fully dried
hardwood--mostly) is in the shop. My wife uses the other 10%. Sometimes
we get mice in the stacks. Sometimes we get blacksnakes chasing the
mice. Other times, there are spiders all over the place. My wife hates
snakes--fears is more accurate--so stays out of the shed if there's a
snake or six around. Otherwise, there's not much problem.

Spiders don't hurt anything and they tend to keep the insect population
closer to reasonable. Squash the ones you think are aggressive.

For a practical looking shed, I suggest getting one of the 20' x 20'
metal car ports. You can get 2' added to each leg for about $200 more,
and it's easy to screw on metal or wood siding to keep blowing winds
out. You need to be inventive at the ends, but those can be readily
enclosed, too.

Phisherman

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 04:50:22 GMT, "Tim Zimmerman"
wrote:

My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have
storage because our shed is 80-percent full. Today, a bad storm
passes thru our neighborhood and destroys many of my MDF
boards, which were temporarily covered with a silver tarp.

The woods were relocated far away from the protection of
the house when a couple of black widows were found on the
boards. I have a large roll of thin, clear plastic wrap that I will
use to wrap the ones I salvage. What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

Thanks

I store wood anywhere I'm sure it will stay dry. The garage,
basement, etc. The problem with storing outdoors is the animals using
it as a home. Tar paper, fiberglass, metal roofing are helpful. We
have black widows here too, including red wasps, hornets, skunks,
possums, groundhogs, copperheads, and lots of birds all looking for
shelter. Follow this rule: look before placing your hand. Black
widows' nests are easily recognized by the messy webs they
build--beautiful spider though.
Mike Marlow

"Tim Zimmerman" wrote in message
m...
My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have
storage because our shed is 80-percent full. Today, a bad storm
passes thru our neighborhood and destroys many of my MDF
boards, which were temporarily covered with a silver tarp.

The woods were relocated far away from the protection of
the house when a couple of black widows were found on the
boards. I have a large roll of thin, clear plastic wrap that I will
use to wrap the ones I salvage. What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

That will only cause the destruction of your remaining stock. Plastic traps
moisture. You won't even need a rain storm to create water inside the
plastic wrap. In answer to your question - the common way is inside storage
of some sort. Even a semi-open shed that keeps the rain/snow off is better
than nothing as long as the wood is stickered. The bottom line though is
that you can't let the water get to the wood. If your wife's fear of
spiders and such is the order of the day, then you either need to build
another shed for woodworking or give up the hobby.
--

-Mike-

Wilson Lamb

All forms of tarps and plastic will go bad and cause trouble.
Stack and sticker wood as described.
Put some stickers on top and cover with roofing metal.
Either weight the metal or run stickers across the top and tie them down to
lower stickers with heavy twine.
This gives ari circulation and doesn't fall apart.
I don't think MDF can stay outside in any case.
Wilson
"Tim Zimmerman" wrote in message
m...
My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have
storage because our shed is 80-percent full. Today, a bad storm
passes thru our neighborhood and destroys many of my MDF
boards, which were temporarily covered with a silver tarp.

The woods were relocated far away from the protection of
the house when a couple of black widows were found on the
boards. I have a large roll of thin, clear plastic wrap that I will
use to wrap the ones I salvage. What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

Thanks

Andy Dingley

wrote:

What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

Leave them in the timberyard until you need them.

There's no way to store MDF that involves "rain" or "tarpaulins"

Leon

"TaskMule" wrote in message

Hard to believe some of the questions here

Brother of the guy with the out door butcher block . ;~)

Leon

"Tim Zimmerman" wrote in message news:HvDRd.1570

I can't agree more. Due to spiders, wife freaks if she finds wood in
the shed or the shed is 81-percent full. Also, the wood rack in
question must look practical and holdup to a downpour.

Live within your means or get another shed. The answer seems simple.

Dave in Fairfax

Tim Zimmerman wrote:
My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have
storage because our shed is 80-percent full. Today, a bad storm
passes thru our neighborhood and destroys many of my MDF
boards, which were temporarily covered with a silver tarp.

The woods were relocated far away from the protection of
the house when a couple of black widows were found on the
boards. I have a large roll of thin, clear plastic wrap that I will
use to wrap the ones I salvage. What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

Don't store fake wood outdoors. Black Widows don't eat much wood,
what's the problem? If you're worried about them, bug bomb the
place a couple of times, a week apart, before you start unpiling
the wood. Outside is outside, that's where the critters live.
Frankly, I'd be more worried about Mojaves and western
Diamondbacks out where you are. I've killed a ton of spiders,
and got one dry rattler bite. I like snakes not spiders but the
snakebite scared me more.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Patriarch

"Tim Zimmerman" wrote in news:HvDRd.1570$OU1.67
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

I can't agree more. Due to spiders, wife freaks if she finds wood in
the shed or the shed is 81-percent full. Also, the wood rack in
question must look practical and holdup to a downpour.

Purchase only for immediate needs. That's more expensive for the project,
but should keep the wife more appeased - which is less expensive, in the
long run.

By the way, indoor (garage) storage of wood is also prime spider habitat.

Patriarch
CW

"Tim Zimmerman" wrote in message
m...
What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

A roof.

not a chance

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:41:06 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

Tim Zimmerman wrote:
[...]

Buy spyder killer,use it often, mix at twice the recomended strengh,
damn shame the feds took away our DDT. spray your whole yard too they
are sneaky little *******s.
Dave Balderstone

In article , Tim
Zimmerman wrote:

What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

I keep mine under cover where they don't get rained on.

It's a crazy idea, but it just might work!

Juergen Hannappel

"Tim Zimmerman" writes:

"TaskMule" wrote in message news:H6idnSBa-
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Use the other 20% of the shed.

Hard to believe some of the questions here

I can't agree more. Due to spiders, wife freaks if she finds wood in

So your very best course is to educate your wife to like or at least
tolerate the interesting and useful creatures that keep the number of
flies down.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Unisaw A100

Dave Balderstone wrote:
I keep mine under cover where they don't get rained on.

Please, describe this "plastic"?

It's a crazy idea, but it just might work!

Wellllll, I dunno. Have you thought of sending this little
tiplet to 'Murican Wooddorker? I mean, being Canadianna and
all, will they accept it as is or is there a conversion we
can use this side of the border?

UA100
J. Clarke

Tim Zimmerman wrote:

My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have
storage because our shed is 80-percent full. Today, a bad storm
passes thru our neighborhood and destroys many of my MDF
boards, which were temporarily covered with a silver tarp.

The woods were relocated far away from the protection of
the house when a couple of black widows were found on the
boards. I have a large roll of thin, clear plastic wrap that I will
use to wrap the ones I salvage. What is common way to protect
our wood stocks from rain?

OK, to be sure I understand, you have more wood than you have space to store
under cover, and if you don't get it under cover then it will be ruined by
rain.

Obvious solution--use some of the wood to build a wood shed. You will
likely have to buy some roofing but that doesn't cost all that much for a
shed, especially compared to the value of the wood.

Thanks

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Tom Watson

wrote:

My small collection of MDF boards and hardwood don't have
storage because our shed is 80-percent full.

"You can't have everything...

....where would you keep it?"

Steven Wright c. 1983

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Dave Balderstone

In article , Unisaw A100
wrote:

I keep mine under cover where they don't get rained on.

Please, describe this "plastic"?

Plastic? I said nuttin' about (aboot, Keeter) plastic.

Wellllll, I dunno. Have you thought of sending this little
tiplet to 'Murican Wooddorker? I mean, being Canadianna and
all, will they accept it as is or is there a conversion we
can use this side of the border?

I think the US still has a tariff on Canadian woodworking tips.

Unisaw A100

Dave Balderstone wrote:
Plastic? I said nuttin' about (aboot, Keeter) plastic.

Peter Jennings says "a boat".

I think the US still has a tariff on Canadian woodworking tips.

sigh... It's that whole Naptha thing, right? Here all
these years I've been using the stuff around the shop and...

huh?

NAFTA?

oh! sorry...

UA100
Dave Balderstone

In article , Unisaw A100
wrote:

Peter Jennings says "a boat".

Yeah, and Ms Morrisette just took out US citizenship (after dissing you
folks seriously last year...).

Y'all can keep her. And Peter.

--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green
George

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...

Yeah, and Ms Morrisette just took out US citizenship (after dissing you
folks seriously last year...).

Y'all can keep her. And Peter.

That's what defines a US citizen, someone with all the rights and none of
the responsibilities normally associated with same....

Scott Lurndal

Juergen Hannappel writes:
"Tim Zimmerman" writes:

"TaskMule" wrote in message news:H6idnSBa-
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Use the other 20% of the shed.

Hard to believe some of the questions here

I can't agree more. Due to spiders, wife freaks if she finds wood in

So your very best course is to educate your wife to like or at least
tolerate the interesting and useful creatures that keep the number of
flies down.

It's difficult to try to tell someone that a black widow spider
won't kill them, especially when it might. No, the bite of a
black widow isn't instantly fatal, but it it can be fatal to those
with impaired immune systems, the young, the elderly and the infirm.

Note that the original poster posted from Bezerkely Ca. where
plenty of black widow spiders are resident.

scott

Dave Balderstone

In article , Mark
wrote:

Sounds like you need a bigger shed.

Ooh! Or... a second shed. Then we could call him "Two Sheds".

;-)

What "seals" a concrete block and stucco house from rain? Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 2 September 14th 04 02:57 PM
Rain seeping inside through concrete block wall above grade (Warning: LONG explanation) Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 9 September 8th 04 02:43 AM
Rain m Ransley Home Repair 24 July 7th 04 03:57 AM
Sealing the deck ... waiting for the rain to end Karen Home Repair 0 June 24th 03 12:34 AM