Vinnie Murdico

Default What "seals" a concrete block and stucco house from rain?

Hi,

As a followup to a previous question I asked about our concrete block
house leaking after Frances, I have a slightly different question now so
I can hopefully learn more about block house construction:

Let's say a house has no "holes" or "gaps" in the roof or walls for
water to easily intrude. When a builder builds a concrete block house,
what actually stops water from "seeping" through the walls themselves
into the hollow concrete block? I know concrete is somewhat porous and
will absorb some water, but what is normally used in block houses to
prevent that? I've heard that stucco itself is totally aesthetic and
serves no "waterproofiing" or "waterblocking" purpose.

So...

Is the block itself supposed to resist letting water get inside itself?

Does the block normally get a "sealer" applied to the outside by the
builder during construction to keep out water later?

Is the paint on the exterior supposed to be the "water block" to protect
rain from seeping into the block?

Thanks in advance!

-- Vinnie

Greg

Stucco does have some degree of sealing but the thing that really seals it is a
couple coats of a good paint.
bumtracks

Garage door in concrete block outbuilding was blocked up & made into a
window... there's no stucco on that 2 car garage. It's strictly painted
with a sealer and then exterior latex. The concrete block below the new
window I probably painted with five or more coats of $20/gal one coat latex
and the new block still absorbs it... next paint job it certainly will get a
sealer applied there first.