Ringo Langly

Default screws or nails while building a shed

Hi all,

I started a thread a few days ago about building a shed, but instead of
adding this to the tail of that thread I thought I'd start a new
thread.

Anyway, for a standard 10x12 shed would you guys suggest using nails or
screws? I assume screws are more secure, but I'm not sure. Also if I
used nails, what's involved in getting a nailgun? I have a large
Craftsman air compressor I can use.

Thanks...

Ringo

TaskMule

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I started a thread a few days ago about building a shed, but instead of
adding this to the tail of that thread I thought I'd start a new
thread.

Anyway, for a standard 10x12 shed would you guys suggest using nails or
screws? I assume screws are more secure, but I'm not sure. Also if I
used nails, what's involved in getting a nailgun? I have a large
Craftsman air compressor I can use.

Thanks...

Ringo

Avoid screws for framing a structure, they have far less shear strength than
nails. When the do fail they snap, nails won't.
A framing nailer will cost you a few hundred dollars, and will probably be
overkill for just a shed. Just buy a nice 22oz Eastwing framing hammer.

Leon

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I started a thread a few days ago about building a shed, but instead of
adding this to the tail of that thread I thought I'd start a new
thread.

Anyway, for a standard 10x12 shed would you guys suggest using nails or
screws? I assume screws are more secure, but I'm not sure. Also if I
used nails, what's involved in getting a nailgun? I have a large
Craftsman air compressor I can use.

You oughta come and look at mine. LOL

I suggest nails for the floor joist hangers. Palm Nailers are the tool of
choice for this task IMHO.
I screwed the floor down on to the joists and screwed the wall studs to the
sole plate and top plates. Long lag bolts to secure the sole plates through
the floor in to the floor joists. Nails for the ceiling joist hangers and
nails for the roof decking and shingles.
You can also use nails for all the walls and for added strength add
hurricane clips to help anchor everything. These are about 50 cents each.
I use one on the top and bottoms of the studs on every other stud.

If you opt for a standard framing nail gun, pick the one you like. You can
run them on just about any sized compressor. Alternatively the Paslode
airless gun is a very nice unit. It is very nice not having to have a
compressor and hose following you around. It is great for building fences.
Expect to pay about $399 for this gun. Senco builds great guns. As an
added thought the better nails for these guns will have a glue coating that
melts when shot and helps hold the nail even tighter than a standard nail.

IBM5081

Whether screws or nails are used, for the pressure treated lumber used
in the shed ensure that the fasteners are rated for ACQ pressure
treatment. These fasteners are available for both hand nailing as well
as driving with a pneumatic nailer.
The other fasteners not exposed to the weather can be the less
expensive bright nails without a coating.

Edwin Pawlowski

"TaskMule" wrote in message

A framing nailer will cost you a few hundred dollars, and will probably be
overkill for just a shed.

Or buy a used one, after the job, sell it on eBay.

TeamCasa

Nails.

Dave

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I started a thread a few days ago about building a shed, but instead of
adding this to the tail of that thread I thought I'd start a new
thread.

Anyway, for a standard 10x12 shed would you guys suggest using nails or
screws? I assume screws are more secure, but I'm not sure. Also if I
used nails, what's involved in getting a nailgun? I have a large
Craftsman air compressor I can use.

Thanks...

Ringo

http://www.usenet.com

Ray

Hot dipped galvanized for the pressure treated lumber.
Coated deck screw rated for pressure treated lumber for screwing the floor
down.
Coated sinker nails for the rest.

As was already posted a palm nailer is a great air tool and fairly cheap.

--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I started a thread a few days ago about building a shed, but instead of
adding this to the tail of that thread I thought I'd start a new
thread.

Anyway, for a standard 10x12 shed would you guys suggest using nails or
screws? I assume screws are more secure, but I'm not sure. Also if I
used nails, what's involved in getting a nailgun? I have a large
Craftsman air compressor I can use.

Thanks...

Ringo

Prometheus

On 8 Feb 2005 12:46:12 -0800, "Ringo Langly"
wrote:

Hi all,

I started a thread a few days ago about building a shed, but instead of
adding this to the tail of that thread I thought I'd start a new
thread.

Anyway, for a standard 10x12 shed would you guys suggest using nails or
screws? I assume screws are more secure, but I'm not sure. Also if I
used nails, what's involved in getting a nailgun? I have a large
Craftsman air compressor I can use.

I generally just use nails. For something that small, you don't even
really need a nailgun- a hammer would work just fine for you, unless
you're really prone to tennis elbow. Screws are probably fine as
well, but I've found that I always end up getting the crappy screws,
and waste too much time stripping out screw heads. You're also going
to want to have a really, really good cordless drill for that many
screws, with at least two or three spare batteries and an extra
charger.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Silvan

leonard wrote:

you can rent a nail gun

Rent? RENT??? Then how would he be able to acquire a new tool?

(Although, I gotta say, buy a framing nailer to put up a little 10x12 shed?
or rent one? Crikey. I'd vote for the 22 oz. Estwing hammer like those
other two I think. You can't possibly put enough nails into something that
small to justify any kind of pneumatic or gunpowder-powered anything,
unless you're just swimming in cash, and you already have a great TS, top
shelf jointer, big daddy planer, high dollar bandsaw, etc. and are just
completely out of more interesting machinery to buy.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Leon

"Silvan" wrote in message
leonard wrote:

you can rent a nail gun

Rent? RENT??? Then how would he be able to acquire a new tool?

No kidding. LOL

(Although, I gotta say, buy a framing nailer to put up a little 10x12
shed?
or rent one? Crikey. I'd vote for the 22 oz. Estwing hammer like those
other two I think.

You are looking at this all wrong. What would it cost to have some one
build the shed? That amount saved by doing it yourself justifies the cost
of a new tool.

Lew Hodgett

Subject

I like to screw.

Lew

Leon

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Subject

I like to screw.

Lew

Gaud... I guess screwin is OK but I like to nail'em every once in a while
too. LOL

Lew Hodgett

"Leon" writes:

Gaud... I guess screwin is OK but I like to nail'em every once in a

while
too. LOL

Touche.

Mark and Kim Smith

TaskMule wrote:

"Ringo Langly" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi all,

I started a thread a few days ago about building a shed, but instead of
adding this to the tail of that thread I thought I'd start a new
thread.

Anyway, for a standard 10x12 shed would you guys suggest using nails or
screws? I assume screws are more secure, but I'm not sure. Also if I
used nails, what's involved in getting a nailgun? I have a large
Craftsman air compressor I can use.

Thanks...

Ringo

Avoid screws for framing a structure, they have far less shear strength than
nails. When the do fail they snap, nails won't.
A framing nailer will cost you a few hundred dollars, and will probably be
overkill for just a shed. Just buy a nice 22oz Eastwing framing hammer.

My hammer of choice used to be a 24 oz Vaughan but now it is a 28 oz
Hart with a nice curvy hickory handle. The Vaughan is used for beating
all kinds of stuff, the Hart for framing. Still has its nice aggressive
waffle face! Ouch!
Wes Stewart

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:49:21 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

leonard wrote:

you can rent a nail gun

Rent? RENT??? Then how would he be able to acquire a new tool?

(Although, I gotta say, buy a framing nailer to put up a little 10x12 shed?
or rent one? Crikey. I'd vote for the 22 oz. Estwing hammer like those
other two I think. You can't possibly put enough nails into something that
small to justify any kind of pneumatic or gunpowder-powered anything,
unless you're just swimming in cash, and you already have a great TS, top
shelf jointer, big daddy planer, high dollar bandsaw, etc. and are just
completely out of more interesting machinery to buy.)

Or you're like me; awaiting an appointment next week with the
orthopaedic surgeon to discuss surgery on my right shoulder.

I didn't swing a hammer professionally, so can't blame the problem on
that, but the amount of amateur homebuilding I've done can't have
helped. It's a twofer problem: repeative motion and shock on the
joints.

Rent, or better, borrow a nailer.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:50:44 GMT, the inscrutable "Lew Hodgett"
spake:

I like to screw.

Ditto here. I love being able to repair a fence or whatever in
ten seconds vs. fighting for 15 minutes to remove stubborn nails
while breaking the split board into lebenty pieces, etc.

I framed that screened porch (on the old property in Vista) entirely
with screws and it worked really well.

That said, I should reorder from McFeely soon.

-
They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius
---
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming Services

John DeBoo

I used nails in mine for the floor joists, the walls, and roof trusses
etc. Decking, siding and interior walls etc I used screws. Metal
roofing got screws too, w/ rubber grommets and a shot of silicone on each.
Grandpa John