antz

Default Building a two story garden building!

Hello

I am looking for some advice on building a garden building!
I have read the threads about garden offices but this is on a larger
scale!!!

We have a large garden that is split on two layers with the top garden
(the smallest) extending from the house.

we are hoping for a brick/block built building measuring about 7m x
12m.
For this the top garden will be dug down to the level of the bottom
garden and the foundations will be placed! The building will be on two
levels with the bottom being a garden shed / bike shed /workshop and
the upper layer being a gamesroom/ bar/ gym.

what would be the best way to get this project going?
I have never been though this process. do i commision an architec? or
just get some outline plans drawn (by who) and submit these to the
local planning office?

cheers

anthony
dg

(antz) wrote in message . com...
[...]

You want a 'designer' to prepare plans for [possibly] Planning
Approval, and for Buiding Regulation Approval too. Also consider that
the plans should be suitably detailed and specified to include
internal fit out and finishes.

The designer can be an Architect, or architectural technician,
Building Surveyor or Building Engineer.

An Architect will cost you much more money, but will possibly have
more 'artistic' ideas. If its just a basic building then use someone
from the other professions. An Architect may charge upto 10% of the
project cost

Also consider using the designer to project manage the work if you
don't want to deal with the builders.

Essentially the designer should:
note your requirements
assess the site
prepare some preliminary designs for your agreement
finalise a design (what you want/what you can have) and submit for
approval
Prepare full working drawings for building.
Give a rough cost estimate

Also be aware that the designer should be suitablly experienced to
know that what he designs will stand a good chance of being approved
by the local Planning dept. Agree an inclusive fee for getting any
required approval.

dg