Jeff P.

Default Thanks to all and please check out my website

www.sawdustcentral.com

I just finished a complete redesign of my website and I'm quite happy with
it finally. I thank all of you that replied to my survey regarding the
speed of your internet connection. This was a bit of an eye opener as I had
thought that the majority of you would be on broadband. The fact that
probably about 2/3's of you were still on dial up caused me to trim down the
size and quality of the graphics on my site but I think it looks even better
than ever. I spent probably 2 weeks redesigning everything and I thought I
was pretty happy. Then I did the survey and saw some other better looking
sites and I went back to the drawing board. This time I did an even more
extensive redo including new logos, graphics, updated text styles and most
importantly I got rid of the frames. I was finding that when I did a Google
search to see if my site was showing up that more often than not I would
navigate into the site and end up in the wrong frame. I know there are
other ways I could solve this problem but let's just say that I like it
better the way it is now. Anyway, thanks again for the input and please,
please send me some feedback on the new site.

Thanks much

--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog
can cure depression. The down side is, the minute
you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

Larry Bud

extensive redo including new logos, graphics, updated text styles and
most
importantly I got rid of the frames.

No frames, thank God!

Very nice job there Jeff. Very clean looking.

Couple issues with the source code, but no biggies... For example, on
the font tag, you have FOUR of them nested within each other (this is
from the home page):

font color="#E7E7DE"font color="#E7E7DE"font
color="#E7E7DE"font color="#E7E7DE"font color="#000000"img
src="Images/me.jpg" width="138" height="175"
align="left"/font/font/font/fontfont color="#000000"

font tags are totally uncessary when the only content within them is
an img, but this isn't going to break anything.

Sorry, I nitpick since this is what I do (for a living... not
nitpick!).

Jeff P.

Thanks Larry. I found that font tag issue in a few other locations as well.
I got rid of them but I didn't really go and search them out. I think
what's happening is when I'm formatting a cell I typically try a bunch of
different layouts before deciding on a particular look. In the process a
bunch of crap like that gets left behind. I'll go over it and try to clean
it out. I'm no html programmer, however, so it takes me a bit longer to
find that stuff. That's one of the drawbacks of using a WYSIWYG editor.

Thanks much,

--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog
can cure depression. The down side is, the minute
you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
extensive redo including new logos, graphics, updated text styles and

most
importantly I got rid of the frames.

No frames, thank God!

Very nice job there Jeff. Very clean looking.

Couple issues with the source code, but no biggies... For example, on
the font tag, you have FOUR of them nested within each other (this is
from the home page):

font color="#E7E7DE"font color="#E7E7DE"font
color="#E7E7DE"font color="#E7E7DE"font color="#000000"img
src="Images/me.jpg" width="138" height="175"
align="left"/font/font/font/fontfont color="#000000"

font tags are totally uncessary when the only content within them is
an img, but this isn't going to break anything.

Sorry, I nitpick since this is what I do (for a living... not
nitpick!).

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jeff P." wrote in message
www.sawdustcentral.com

I just finished a complete redesign of my website and I'm quite happy with
it finally. I thank all of you that replied to my survey regarding the
speed of your internet connection. This was a bit of an eye opener as I
had
thought that the majority of you would be on broadband. The fact that
probably about 2/3's of you were still on dial up caused me to trim down
the
size and quality of the graphics on my site but I think it looks even
better
than ever

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

Looks nice and clean. The graphics are fine on my screen. Even if they were
larger when you click on them should be no problem. That setup gives you a
choice, quick overview or optional higher detail if you have the time.

You have a nice shop there also.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

TWS

Nice site Jeff. Clean lines and well organized. Two observations
about the site:
1) the 'Here' links on the Computer Desk page are broken.
2) It would be nice to be able to see high resolution pictures by
clicking on the photos for those of us who do have broadband
connections.

Finally, your shop looks too damned clean to have been really used for
anything. Fess up, where were these pieces really made? ;-)

TWS

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 03:47:51 GMT, "Jeff P."
wrote:

[...]

Really nice site layout, it's clean and easy to navigate. You're
projects aren't too bad either. :-)

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Jeff P.

"TWS" wrote:
1) the 'Here' links on the Computer Desk page are broken.

Problem fixed.

2) It would be nice to be able to see high resolution pictures by
clicking on the photos for those of us who do have broadband
connections.

I did limit the pic size to about 350 to 400 pixels in their largest
dimension. I've got 3gb of bandwidth a month which is probably way more
than I'll use but if I put up megapixel images I'll be out of bandwidth
before you know it. If you really want larger pics feel free to drop me a
line and I can fire off one to you.

Finally, your shop looks too damned clean to have been really used for
anything. Fess up, where were these pieces really made? ;-)

I know, I know. I claimed that I'd post a picture of the shop in it's more
messy state but whenever it gets really messy I end up cleaning before I
remember to snap a picture.

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jeff. The site looks nice and it loads fast for me. I also like
the projects.

Overall, a good design.

--RC

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

-- Suzie B
Silvan

Jeff P. wrote:

find that stuff. That's one of the drawbacks of using a WYSIWYG editor.

And still so, so worth it. People are always yelling at me about how crappy
my machine-generated HTML looks, but since I never look at my
machine-generated HTML, I couldn't care less.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jeff P. wrote:
2) It would be nice to be able to see high resolution pictures by
clicking on the photos for those of us who do have broadband
connections.

I did limit the pic size to about 350 to 400 pixels in their largest
dimension. I've got 3gb of bandwidth a month which is probably way more
than I'll use but if I put up megapixel images I'll be out of bandwidth
before you know it. If you really want larger pics feel free to drop me a
line and I can fire off one to you.

I normally get around the too small photos by right clicking and selecting "zoom
in". For whatever reason, your site limits the size of the window so that when
I zoom in, I end up with only a portion of the content of that window showing.

And I agree... it's much too clean. You must be like me: after I bought all
those machines, I couldn't afford any wood!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Swingman

"Jeff P." wrote in message

www.sawdustcentral.com

I just finished a complete redesign of my website and I'm quite happy with
it finally.

Hi Jeff,

You have every reason to be proud. You've combined graphics and text into an
informative, easy to load, and easy to read presentation. The who, what,
where ,why and how are all covered nicely, and your writing is clear and
concise. If this is your first attempt, and judging from your obvious
woodworking skills, you're a talented fellow indeed.

About the only thing I don't like, and this is a personal preference so take
it with a grain of salt, is the added background shadows on the pictures of
your projects. IMO, they detract from the crispness of the details in your
work.

Excellent job!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Jeff P.

That's probably because the windows are created to a specific size without
resize handles. They should allow scroll bars though. The images are all
optimized to the extreme so I think you'll be disappointed if you do that.
If you use Opera as a web browser you can zoom the entire window.

--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
highway. The local newspaper reported that the onlookers were
"stunned, overwhelmed, astonished, bewildered, and dumfounded."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...
Jeff P. wrote:
[...]

Jeff P.

Had a minor problem on my index page that was only visible in the Opera web
browser. Fixed it this morning. The tables were sized wrong and were
showing gaps that allowed the background to show through. Man, it's
annoying to have it show up correctly in 2 out of three browsers and any be
messed up in the third. Geez.

--

"Jeff P." wrote in message
[...]

AAvK

[upper snip]
Anyway, thanks again for the input and please,
please send me some feedback on the new site.
Thanks much
--
Jeff P.

Jeff, I have to say I think it is an absolutely superior quality site as to how it
looks and operates, it is an aesthetically pleasing site to look at. It is also faster
than any site I have ever clicked through (seen a few others too), though I have
a cable connection. It is a hard thing to get me to "like" any of most websites
out there but yours works well for me.
I do have a few critiques... sent those in an email to ya.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Paul Kierstead

Jeff P. wrote:
www.sawdustcentral.com

Really, really great looking site. You have a very good touch with
graphics and layout for a non-pro. Pleasing and easy to read.

Now for the nits: Well, actually, not many at all. My one "serious" nit
isn't that big of a deal on a site the size of yours, but anyway it is a
thought and applies to the time I spent going though the shop photos.
Going though all the shop bits is a click item, read window, close
window, click next item, remember which item I have missed/already
clicked, click wrong item, etc. You scheme is great if you want to
quickly access the data on *one* tool, but not so great if you want to
browse all of the tools. The simple solution is to provide a "next" and
optionally "previous" button on the window you view a tool in; this lets
you easily view each tool. This goes for the wide angle shop pictures as
well. Basic rule of thumb: always provide multuple ways for the user to
access your information.

But nevertheless, a website to be really proud of.

PK

Hey Jeff...

That's a really nice job on the web site. I have cable so everything
loads instantly and I'm using FireFox for a browser (who isn't) so
that probably helps.

I like everything and have one comment... someone else beat me to it,
but I think its valid. Consider a "slide show" approach much like a
powerpoint presentation with buttons going forward and back so
visitors can move ahead and back, but includes a section "home" button
that will take them back to the 1st shot in the section.

Whenever I see a bunch of pix of a shop I always wonder if they've
made any kind of java panarama deal that would allow visitors the
option of just moving their mouse around and thereby panning around
the room. Realtors use it to show homes. It would be slick on your
site.

BTW, your shop is so clean and well-organized it inspired me to vacumn
my shop this morning. Of course, it still looks like crap, but at
least I'm not tracking sawdust around the house BG. That shop is an
inspiration, but yeah... you've got to show at least one shot with the
sawdust and chips flying.

Mike

wrote:

[...]

Jeff P.

LOL, oh man, do you know what you've just done??? NOW, I'm going to have to
do one of those dang panarama things. Once the seed is planted there's no
turning back. Thanks a lot. I'll probably do a next/previous button thing
too. Not a bad Idea. I did finally solve the problem of keeping all the
popup windows in the same window and having them retain focus when you load
the next item in it. Only all fricking morning to solve THAT problem.
Geez.

--

wrote:

[...]

Jeff P.

Good ideas Paul, thanks. I'll implement a next/previous function soon. I
did finally manage to keep all the given popups from a specific area in the
same window. I also managed to have that window regain focus when loading
subsequent pages. The problem was that each popup was loading it's own
browser window AND would remain hidden bellow the main window so you might
loose track of it. Problem solved. This took all morning..big sigh. Do me
a favor and check out my shop page and use the drop down menu with the
larger shop photos. Let me know if this makes it more functional. I think
so.

--

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
Jeff P. wrote:
[...]

Mike Marlow

"Jeff P." wrote in message
Good ideas Paul, thanks. I'll implement a next/previous function soon. I
did finally manage to keep all the given popups from a specific area in

the
same window. I also managed to have that window regain focus when loading
subsequent pages. The problem was that each popup was loading it's own
browser window AND would remain hidden bellow the main window so you might
loose track of it. Problem solved. This took all morning..big sigh. Do

me
a favor and check out my shop page and use the drop down menu with the
larger shop photos. Let me know if this makes it more functional. I

think
so.

Just tried it Jeff and I got a new popup for each thumbnail. Not sure if
this is what you meant, but I understood what you said to mean that clicking
on different thumbnails would pop it up in the already open popup window.

--

-Mike-

Jeff P.

Oh heck, nevermind. The popups are opening in the same window but they're
still loosing focus. Forget it. I'll change this and just load as a whole
new page and maybe do a slideshow thing. We'll see.

--

Jeff P. wrote:
[...]

Larry Bud

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Jeff P. wrote:
2) It would be nice to be able to see high resolution pictures by
clicking on the photos for those of us who do have broadband
connections.

I did limit the pic size to about 350 to 400 pixels in their

largest
dimension. I've got 3gb of bandwidth a month which is probably way

more
than I'll use but if I put up megapixel images I'll be out of

bandwidth
before you know it. If you really want larger pics feel free to

drop me a
line and I can fire off one to you.

I normally get around the too small photos by right clicking and

selecting "zoom
in".

What good does that do you? You still have the same number of pixels
that make up the image.

Jeff P.

No I haven't Robert. There are too many things I want to do and Java is too
valuable a tool not to use. All modern browsers support it (I think so, at
least) so I'm not too worried about loosing anyone.

--

Jeff P. wrote:
[...]

Junkyard Engineer

Hey Jeff ! Really impressive work !

The drop down list for your shop pictures is a bit out of touch with the
quality of the entire site.

Don't hesitate to use Javascript. Too much gain vs problems. Go check this
site for custom pics gallery http://jalbum.net/extras.jsp

Did you use Frontpage 2003 to build it ? Again, really great work,
everything fits in a screen, I like that.

"Jeff P." a écrit dans le message de news:
[...]

Jeff P.

Thanks! I didn't use Frontpage I used Dreamweaver MX. I'll be getting rid
of the drop down menu and using a slide show of some sort. I'm also working
on a Quicktime VR tour of the shop as I type this. I think it's done. It's
kind of crude but it's my first photo seaming project and I didn't work too
hard at I just wanted to learn the process.

--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
highway. The local newspaper reported that the onlookers were
"stunned, overwhelmed, astonished, bewildered, and dumfounded."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Junkyard Engineer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

John McGaw

Jeff P. wrote:
[...]

Haven't had a chance to do more than glance at it but I did notice that
you are using CSS. Good on you! But then I noticed that you are still
going ahead and doing all of those things with inline tags that CSS does
so much better on its own so you are building in maintenance headaches
for the future. Same thing with using tables for formatting rather than
tabular information. Getting rid of them can be a major PITA but in the
long run it is almost always worth it.

Oh BTW, have you run your HTML and CSS through the appropriate
validation suites? They are wonderful at turning up little gotchas (and
sometimes som major ones in the case of my site) that sometimes cause
odd glitches.

Oh yeah -- what I've seen of the site looks clean and well-balanced.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]