sysadmin

Default Cabinet Doors question help needed...

I'll be putting together a kitchen in the next few months and I'm building
the cabinets myself. The problem that I have come across is that the other
hald has found the style in a store that she likes and I don't know how to
duplicate that in my shop. I've included a link:

http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/...RID=334&bhcp=1

This is just an example, but you can see how complex the rails and stiles
are. How does one do this? I would imagine a molder is used with custom
knives, but that's gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those
knives.

Any ideas?

Woody

sysadmin wrote:
I'll be putting together a kitchen in the next few months and I'm building
the cabinets myself. The problem that I have come across is that the other
hald has found the style in a store that she likes and I don't know how to
duplicate that in my shop. I've included a link:

http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/...RID=334&bhcp=1

This is just an example, but you can see how complex the rails and stiles
are. How does one do this? I would imagine a molder is used with custom
knives, but that's gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those
knives.

Any ideas?

I can't tell exactly from the picture, but the doors look like raised
panels with molded rails & stiles. This you can do with a number of
door making router sets from the likes of CMT, Freud, etc. If you don't
have one, you'll need a router table with a variable speed router to
run them.

Additionally (again, I can't see all the details) there may be some
applied moldings along the inside of the rails and stiles. This isn't
complicated, just another step.

~Mark.
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:09:51 -0500, the inscrutable "sysadmin"
spake:

I'll be putting together a kitchen in the next few months and I'm building
the cabinets myself. The problem that I have come across is that the other
hald has found the style in a store that she likes and I don't know how to
duplicate that in my shop. I've included a link:

http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/...RID=334&bhcp=1

Crikey, that's busy!

This is just an example, but you can see how complex the rails and stiles
are. How does one do this? I would imagine a molder is used with custom
knives, but that's gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those
knives.

Remind her how FRACKIN' HARD THEY'LL BE TO CLEAN AND DUST, then ask
her gain if she still wants that particular style. Best of luck!

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development

loutent

I agree with Larry.

There is something beautiful and refined in
a simple Shaker door with a flat panel, if it
is done in the right proportion.

Lou

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:09:51 -0500, the inscrutable "sysadmin"
spake:

I'll be putting together a kitchen in the next few months and I'm building
the cabinets myself. The problem that I have come across is that the other
hald has found the style in a store that she likes and I don't know how to
duplicate that in my shop. I've included a link:

http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/...RID=334&bhcp=1

Crikey, that's busy!

This is just an example, but you can see how complex the rails and stiles
are. How does one do this? I would imagine a molder is used with custom
knives, but that's gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those
knives.

Remind her how FRACKIN' HARD THEY'LL BE TO CLEAN AND DUST, then ask
her gain if she still wants that particular style. Best of luck!

Patriarch

"Rick LeRoy" wrote in
:

I would think of telling my other half to pick another door.

By indicating that the shaper, the bits, the electrician and the
woodworking class will add $4000 to the cost of the kitchen?

There's no shame in telling SWMBO that, as much as you'd like to be able
to, there are some things you don't know how to build in the shop. Yet.

I think I'd cross-reference door styles she likes to cutter sets available
from CMT, Whiteside, Freud, etc.

Patriarch

Unquestionably Confused

Rick LeRoy wrote:
I would think of telling my other half to pick another door.

What the hell's the matter with you? He was looking for an EASY way to
solve this problem?g

Morris Dovey

[ Original post not available here ]

sysadmin wrote:

I'll be putting together a kitchen in the next few months
and I'm building the cabinets myself. The problem that I
have come across is that the other hald has found the style
in a store that she likes and I don't know how to duplicate
that in my shop. I've included a link:

This is just an example, but you can see how complex the
rails and stiles are. How does one do this? I would
imagine a molder is used with custom knives, but that's
gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those knives.

There're a couple of ways to come at this: [1] Build rails and
stiles up from (routed) strips; [2] have the rail/stile stock cut
for you on a molder; and [3] make a DXF drawing file of the
profile you want and have rail/stile stock cut for you on a CNC
router. This last approach may be least expensive, since your
drawing file eliminates the need to have custom knives ground.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Unisaw A100

Morris Dovey wrote:
[3] make a DXF drawing file of the
profile you want and have rail/stile stock cut for you on a CNC
router. This last approach may be least expensive, since your
drawing file eliminates the need to have custom knives ground.

Actually you'd be surprised. The number of passes a CNC
would have to take to make the profile would drive the cost
back up.

To the OP, the doors have mitered corners. You'll have to
have strips run of the profile. A local shop with a molder
can do this for you.

Or, you could buy your doors ready made.

UA100
sysadmin

Thanks to everybody for the miriad of opinions.

I would use the opportunity to purchase more tools, but (Gasp), I have a
good working set and need to actually start producing something with them.

The deal with the wife was the only ay I could "Build" the kitchen was if I
can make it look like the ones she wants from the store. I appreciate the
simple Cherry rail and stile, while she hates grain and simplicity, etc.

I think I'll take the approach that most of us would do. Build the boxes
and face frames and finish everything and worry about the doors later.

Morris Dovey

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Morris Dovey wrote:

[3] make a DXF drawing file of the profile you want and have
rail/stile stock cut for you on a CNC router. This last
approach may be least expensive, since your drawing file
eliminates the need to have custom knives ground.

Actually you'd be surprised. The number of passes a CNC would
have to take to make the profile would drive the cost back up.

It depends on the shop - in my case I can clamp up to 80' of 1x4
stock at a time; and the number of bit changes required might be
more significant than the number of passes because I don't have
any qualms about letting my machine work in the dark.

It hardly ever hurts to take time to get a price. Sometimes the
surprise is a happy one. (-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Unisaw A100

I think I'll take the approach that most of us would do. Build the boxes
and face frames and finish everything and worry about the doors later.

Yahbut, please don't be coming back with the problem, "I've
built some cabinets and I can't get the hardware I want to
work with them".

Always have the end in sight before beginning.

UA100
Chuck Hoffman

I'll bet you can come up with something that matches fairly well (probably
close but not exactly) out of individual strips of stock millwork applied
over a slab door.

"sysadmin" wrote in message
news
Thanks to everybody for the miriad of opinions.

I would use the opportunity to purchase more tools, but (Gasp), I have a
good working set and need to actually start producing something with them.

The deal with the wife was the only ay I could "Build" the kitchen was if

can make it look like the ones she wants from the store. I appreciate the
simple Cherry rail and stile, while she hates grain and simplicity, etc.

I think I'll take the approach that most of us would do. Build the boxes
and face frames and finish everything and worry about the doors later.

Joe C.

Crikey, that's busy!

This is just an example, but you can see how complex the rails and

stiles
are. How does one do this? I would imagine a molder is used with

custom
knives, but that's gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those
knives.

Remind her how FRACKIN' HARD THEY'LL BE TO CLEAN AND DUST, then

snip

be sure to duck.....

Unisaw A100

Chuck Hoffman wrote:
I'll bet you can come up with something that matches fairly well (probably
close but not exactly) out of individual strips of stock millwork applied
over a slab door.

Yahbut, be sure you have hardware in hand before doing this
to be sure it will work and you won't be having a raised
panel which if I remember the picture correctly was part of
the design.

UA100
Edwin Pawlowski

"sysadmin"

http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/...RID=334&bhcp=1

This is just an example, but you can see how complex the rails and stiles
are. How does one do this? I would imagine a molder is used with custom
knives, but that's gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those
knives.

Any ideas?

Couple of ideas:
Price out the cabinets from the store. That may convince her a your
suggested style is better

If above fails, price a divorce lawyer, then select cheapest option.

Maybe a compromise with a normal raised panel door and beading bit on the
edge. My first look at the doors was "wow, they look neat", but after
staring for a while, they look too busy for my tastes.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:45:35 GMT, the inscrutable "Joe C."
spake:

Crikey, that's busy!

This is just an example, but you can see how complex the rails and

stiles
are. How does one do this? I would imagine a molder is used with

custom
knives, but that's gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those
knives.

Remind her how FRACKIN' HARD THEY'LL BE TO CLEAN AND DUST, then

snip

be sure to duck.....

Only if HE is the normal cleaner and duster in the kitchen. I rather
doubt that, though there has been one pro chef here on the Wreck.
I do my own cleaning/dusting since I'm single, but I'm in the vast,
vast (or izzat half-vast?) minority.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development

Log

That raised panel did not look that hard to duplicate...

if you can't shape a large piece then shape a couple smaller and laminate
together, Just a thought that what I did for the cabinet I built for my
wife..

-- Log

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Chuck Hoffman wrote:
I'll bet you can come up with something that matches fairly well (probably
close but not exactly) out of individual strips of stock millwork applied
over a slab door.

Yahbut, be sure you have hardware in hand before doing this
to be sure it will work and you won't be having a raised
panel which if I remember the picture correctly was part of
the design.

UA100

gkoehl

Outsource your doors.
Find a shop which only makes cabinet doors and check their profiles-
One around here charges about 25 to 30 for paint (4 letter word in this
forum)
But if she doesn't like grain then save the money and time and go paint
grade

news