Mike S.

Default question on ordering glass for cabinet

I finished building a curio cabinet for SWMBO and am ready to order the
glass for it. I was thinking of ordering it about 1/8 in shorter and
narrower then the openings. Is that about standard procedure? Also when
hanging the doors, I want to get them set right the first time. Should I set
the doors in the opening and shim them up for proper clearance then mark the
cabinet where the hinges will go? I'm using antique brass butt hinges.
Appreciate any suggestions.

--
Mike S.

Lazarus Long

Shimming sounds fair. Allow room for the hinge itself, you didn't say
if it was mortised in or not.

I order the glass as close as possible, about 1/16 less than the size
of the opening. 1/8 is o.k., I think, depending on how you're
retaining it to the frame. It's gonna slide down to the botton of the
opening you put it in. Maybe the glass guys could size it close if
you took the frame in. I did that once when I made a frame with an
arched top.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 03:13:11 GMT, "Mike S."
wrote:

I finished building a curio cabinet for SWMBO and am ready to order the
glass for it. I was thinking of ordering it about 1/8 in shorter and
narrower then the openings. Is that about standard procedure? Also when
hanging the doors, I want to get them set right the first time. Should I set
the doors in the opening and shim them up for proper clearance then mark the
cabinet where the hinges will go? I'm using antique brass butt hinges.
Appreciate any suggestions.

A Dubya

Have the glass cut as close as possible, taking into account any wood
movement.

A grief saving trick is to order your glass, before building your cabinet
components that require the glass, especially if there are any curves
involved. It allows you to adjust for small flaws/irregularities the glass
cutter may surprise you with .

Cheers,

aw

Pounds on Wood

Taking the work to the glass shop is a good idea. Otherwise, make sure you
give the glass shop a tolerance, such as +0 -1/16". I have been bitten by
this and it's a pita to sand the glass down later.

--
********
Bill Pounds

"Mike S." wrote in message
I finished building a curio cabinet for SWMBO and am ready to order the
glass for it. I was thinking of ordering it about 1/8 in shorter and
narrower then the openings. Is that about standard procedure? Also when
hanging the doors, I want to get them set right the first time. Should I

set
the doors in the opening and shim them up for proper clearance then mark

the
cabinet where the hinges will go? I'm using antique brass butt hinges.
Appreciate any suggestions.

--
Mike S.

Swingman

"Mike S." wrote in message
I finished building a curio cabinet for SWMBO and am ready to order the
glass for it. I was thinking of ordering it about 1/8 in shorter and
narrower then the openings. Is that about standard procedure?

Anytime I have to build something before I order the glass, I just take the
finished assembly, usually a door, to the glass shop and let them fit it.
With the price of glass the way it is, it's better to let them have the
hassle in the event of a problem.

That said, and particularly with table tops that are framed with wood, I
always buy the glass first and then fit the frame to the glass.

Most glass shops cut to a tolerance of 1/16".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/25/04