Brian Siano

Default Question about three-way joinery

I mentioned this in another message, but here goes. I recently purchased
an item which I'd like to display in a glass case, similar to an
old-style museum glass case. It'd be a rectangular cube, two feet wide,
maybe ten inches deep and high. The sides would be glass, and the edges
would be a hardwood like oak or mahogany. It'd be like a Barrister
Bookcase unit with glass sides.

The problem I have is the joinery of the wood. At each corner, I'd have
three pieces meeting. And I'd like to keep these wood edges fairly
narrow, so as not to overwhelm the glass or the contents of the case.

So I'm having a time trying to figure out how to make the corners
"meet." I don't think cutting 45-degree angles and gluing would be the
best method, but I can't think of how other methods (mortises, floating
tenons) could be done without requiring fairly thick edges.

I haven't decided on other strategies, like having a higned lid or front
or whatever, but I'd like to know how this three-way joinery can be
done. Are there any web-available ilustrations which I could consult?
Magazine articles (just the reference'd be fine)? Recommended books?

A Dubya

Hey Brian,

Yeung Chan has an excellent book out on jointery. It has some good 3 way
miter options.

It might be worth checking out.

I used one of the options in the book for a small carcass, the entire (all
6 sides) carcass was frame and panel. Frames were about 7/8" with 3 way
miters on all corners, using hidden floating tenons. If interested I'll
post a pic.

Cheers,

aw

Mark

Brian Siano wrote:
I mentioned this in another message, but here goes. I recently purchased
an item which I'd like to display in a glass case, similar to an
old-style museum glass case. It'd be a rectangular ....

I thought this was going to be another post from Bay Area Dave.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)

Greg Millen

"Mark" wrote in message ...
I thought this was going to be another post from Bay Area Dave.

You mean the impostor - Bowel Area Dave

Bob S.

Forgot to say that is a Fine Woodworking article - April issue.

Bob S.

"Bob S." wrote in message
. ..
See the latest issue for an article on exactly what you're looking for -
"Simplified Three-Way Miter" on pg 54.

Bob S.

Brian Siano

Bob S. wrote:
Forgot to say that is a Fine Woodworking article - April issue.

Bob S.

"Bob S." wrote in message
. ..

See the latest issue for an article on exactly what you're looking for -
"Simplified Three-Way Miter" on pg 54.

I think I have that issue. Thanks!

ACID QUESTION my_2¢ Metalworking 9 November 10th 03 04:22 PM
OT - Norstar 3x8 phone system question Ryan Metalworking 10 November 8th 03 10:10 AM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pushfit plumbing question Lee Blaver UK diy 18 October 23rd 03 07:58 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM