Kim Whitmyre

Default Question about three-way joinery

In article ,
says...
I haven't decided on other strategies, like having a higned lid or front
or whatever, but I'd like to know how this three-way joinery can be
done. Are there any web-available ilustrations which I could consult?
Magazine articles (just the reference'd be fine)? Recommended books?

It's likely out of print, but "Making Joints," by Ian Kirby and John
Kelsey, part of a series called "Mastering Woodworking" put out by
Rodale Press a few years back, has the joint on page 78. They call it
the "showcase" joint.

What Kirby does is take the square stock and mill two slots on adjacent
faces that are as long as the dimensions of the square stock( if the
stock is 2" by 2", the slots are 2" long). He then cuts the miters on
each piece. Next he mills stock for slip tenons, and cuts it to
appropriate length for gluing into the slots.

Then its a matter of gluing the tenons into the stock in the proper
sequence. . .

Kim