Prometheus

Default Whooooooo!!!! Not quite a gloat, but awesome anyhow!

Hello folks,

Well, I'm officially moved into my new house, and it is WONDERFUL!!
After years of working on other people's places and getting my credit
polished up until it shines like a new penny, I've finally got a house
of my own. To keep it on a woodworking level- It's got not only an
excellent basement shop with an oversized door leading directly into
the garage, but an 8' x 12' (approximately- we're getting deluged with
snow right now so I'm not going to go measure it) shed on a nice
foundation with electrical outlets. As far as other stuff goes, it
was built in 1946 with Oak framing and floor joists, and was owned by
only one family- the lady selling it was 97 years old, and the place
still looks like it was just built. All the woodwork is custom-milled
natural maple, much of it with fiddleback grain and bird's-eyes- with
the exception of the upstairs bedroom, which was trimmed in african
mahogany. We're in a town with less than 5000 residents now, but it
has two excellent hardware stores, a couple of great resturants, and a
couple of lumber suppliers. The place was listed for $73k, and we
didn't even bother negotiating the price- nothing else was even close
to the condition of this house even in the $150k price range. I'm so
happy I could just about bust open! Sorry to go on and on, but it's a
big deal for me- I'm sure it's fun for anyone to get their first home,
but for a carpenter and woodworker, it's close to a religious
experience! Spent $300 at the hardware store today getting all sorts
of material to tweak it just the way I'd like it, and even though It's
costing me a fair amount of dough and I'm likely to be working
continuously for weeks or months on it (it doesn't *need* any work,
but it's getting it anyhow) it's great fun! No more downstairs
neighbors blasting music until the wee hours of the morning, no more
funny smells or cars parked in the backyard, not even a hint of rotted
moulding or faulty electrical wiring.... I'm in heaven here- I don't
think I've smiled this much in my entire life!

Anyhow, thanks for getting this far (if you did) It's probably not a
gloat, but it's a great thing for me, and I figured I'd share.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Edwin Pawlowski

"Prometheus" wrote in message
Hello folks,

The place was listed for $73k, and we
didn't even bother negotiating the price- nothing else was even close

Can't buy a shack in most areas for that price. If it has a roof on it, you
can't go wrong at that price.

Anyhow, thanks for getting this far (if you did) It's probably not a
gloat, but it's a great thing for me, and I figured I'd share.

Maybe not a gloat, but it sure is nice having your own house. Good luck
with it and hope you have many happy years there.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Patriarch

Prometheus wrote in
:

Hello folks,

Well, I'm officially moved into my new house, and it is WONDERFUL!!

snip

Anyhow, thanks for getting this far (if you did) It's probably not a
gloat, but it's a great thing for me, and I figured I'd share.

I'd sure rather read this post than about another air nailer accident!

Thanks for sharing your joy!

Patriarch
Owen Lawrence

[...]

You just bought a shop with built-in living quarters for $73k. Your life is
now underway. It IS a gloat, and let me be the first to say You Suck!

Robatoy

In article ,
Prometheus wrote:

[snipperized]

Congratulations! I always think it's wonderful to see somebody embrace a
project/future with such enthusiasm, be it a house, the restoration of
car/bike or breathing new life into a neglected musical instrument.

Like Edwin, I also couldn't buy much around here for under 100K, so
something in the 70's...good on you!

We'll be expecting pictures soon.

0?0

Rob

Silvan

Owen Lawrence wrote:

You just bought a shop with built-in living quarters for $73k. Your life
is
now underway. It IS a gloat, and let me be the first to say You Suck!

Second that. $73,000 with all that custom woodwork stuff? Unless the house
is only 800 sq. ft. or something, he sucketh royally.

Well, unless it's crawling with termites or something.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Abe

Hello folks,
snip
Anyhow, thanks for getting this far (if you did) It's probably not a
gloat, but it's a great thing for me, and I figured I'd share.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

----------
What city and state?

Mike Marlow

"Prometheus" wrote in message
Hello folks,

Well, I'm officially moved into my new house, and it is WONDERFUL!!
After years of working on other people's places and getting my credit
polished up until it shines like a new penny, I've finally got a house
of my own.

Anyhow, thanks for getting this far (if you did) It's probably not a
gloat, but it's a great thing for me, and I figured I'd share.

Congratulations! It's a great feeling to get your own home, and it's nice
to see people who still feel an excitement over such things.
--

-Mike-

Rolling Thunder

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:33:41 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

Prometheus wrote in
:

Hello folks,

Well, I'm officially moved into my new house, and it is WONDERFUL!!

snip

Anyhow, thanks for getting this far (if you did) It's probably not a
gloat, but it's a great thing for me, and I figured I'd share.

I'd sure rather read this post than about another air nailer accident!

Thanks for sharing your joy!

Patriarch

Dittos

Thunder

Fred

CONGRATULATIONS!
It really is special finally getting into your own home, and it sounds like
you got a great one. From the sounds of the woodwork alone, I'm jealous.

ENJOY!
Fred Bearman
Port Huron, Michigan (and it's snowing here too)

[...]

WD

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:21:13 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Just wondering which States is he in?

Second that. $73,000 with all that custom woodwork stuff? Unless the house
is only 800 sq. ft. or something, he sucketh royally.

Well, unless it's crawling with termites or something.

Roger Shoaf

Not quite a gloat? Sounds to me like you just scored the score of your
life.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

[...]

dgadams

An older home with interior character, as you describe,
is a great find. New homes are usually overpriced and
of less durable construction. You can't hardly touch an
older home in our area if it has the least hint of hardwood
on the interior. Congrats.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:56:17 -0600, Prometheus wrote:

[...]

Member

I think that this is an awesome gloat. Congratulations!

Glenna Rose

Congratulations!!!

I totally understand your enthusiasm at this very significant purchase in
your life. Here in our area, that would be a bargain beyond belief!

It sounds like your happiness with your new home nearly matches my own for
where I am. Though all of my adult life, except for the first six months
in an apartment, I've always lived in my own home (often with a mortgage
as this one has), this is the first time I've lived where I chose to live.
The day I looked at it (to help my son buy it, later his wife said no), I
walked half way through the living/dining room and said, "If Darin and
Tina don't want this house, I do!" It only got better as I went through
the house, into the back yard and onto the covered patio off the garage.
My childhood wasn't the best, and this was the first time in my life I
ever really felt like I was home; the house wasn't/isn't just comfortable,
it was/is my home, really my home. It is not something I can explain,
especially since the neighborhood in which we raised our children was
quite special (and just up the street and around the corner from where I
now live). Later that week the realtor wrote my earnest money and turned
it in with my son's withdrawal. It took nearly 19 months for me to get it
(seller's side, not mine), but I held out and now it's mine. There were so
many problems that, after the first two months, I posted photos on a web
page and asked for prayer from our on-line support group (the house
purchase started the fall after my son died); I firmly believe that the
prayer helped, if only to keep me in the right state of mind. The final
irony, and perhaps evidence of a master plan of which we are very unaware,
of it all is that when it did finally close, it was at the absolute
perfect time, for many reasons.

Many said to just get another one, but sometimes we just can't do that, so
I understand totally why you didn't bargain, but grabbed it immediately!
It sounds like you have something extra special and that your house
deserves a loving family which it sounds like you folks shall be.

Congrats again. May your family and you have a long and happy lifetime
there. :-)

Glenna

Prometheus

wrote:

Owen Lawrence wrote:

You just bought a shop with built-in living quarters for $73k. Your life
is
now underway. It IS a gloat, and let me be the first to say You Suck!

Second that. $73,000 with all that custom woodwork stuff? Unless the house
is only 800 sq. ft. or something, he sucketh royally.

Nope, 3 bedrooms and clean as a whistle! It was a heck of a price
even for rural Wisconsin. My brother bought one for a couple thousand
more, and it's got a leaky roof and dry rot in the floor joists. Just
a case of being in the right place at the right time, and being
willing to move when it was -20 f.

Well, unless it's crawling with termites or something.

Not even a spiderweb in the place

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:06:06 -0800, Abe wrote:

Hello folks,
snip
Anyhow, thanks for getting this far (if you did) It's probably not a
gloat, but it's a great thing for me, and I figured I'd share.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

----------
What city and state?

Bloomer, WI
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:27:52 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

Not quite a gloat? Sounds to me like you just scored the score of your
life.

True... could be a gloat after all. It's not my final house, but it's
a damn nice starter untill I get to a point where I can build my own!
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Dan

On Sun 23 Jan 2005 01:50:32a, Prometheus wrote in
news
What city and state?

Bloomer, WI

Wow. Even that far north, I'da thought you were too close to Eau Claire and
the Twin Cities to find anything under a hundred k. NICE find. I'm here
struggling with an unattached garashop in Madison where the codes and
inspectors make insulating and heating that building an expensive and
complicated task. I'm almost ready to concede defeat and put a tiny
neandershop in the basement for winters. Hey, if Frank Klauscz could go
through his apprenticeship having all the heavy machinery in an unheated
room, maybe I can too.

But even while it's good to know that somebody can find a decent house for
a decent price, anywhere, in these times, you still suck. :-)

Did you bring a family into it, or are you planning on adding one on later?

Dan

Roger Shoaf

wrote:

Not quite a gloat? Sounds to me like you just scored the score of your
life.

True... could be a gloat after all. It's not my final house, but it's
a damn nice starter untill I get to a point where I can build my own!

If you like the neighborhood, give some thought to building on to your house
rather than starting from scratch. It appears from your description that
the house you bought was built to last.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Prometheus

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:21:20 GMT, Dan wrote:

On Sun 23 Jan 2005 01:50:32a, Prometheus wrote in
news
What city and state?

Bloomer, WI

Wow. Even that far north, I'da thought you were too close to Eau Claire and
the Twin Cities to find anything under a hundred k. NICE find. I'm here
struggling with an unattached garashop in Madison where the codes and
inspectors make insulating and heating that building an expensive and
complicated task. I'm almost ready to concede defeat and put a tiny
neandershop in the basement for winters. Hey, if Frank Klauscz could go
through his apprenticeship having all the heavy machinery in an unheated
room, maybe I can too.

Especially since Bloomer is right next to the Chippewa County forest
(a huge hunk of undeveloped forest land for hunting, fishing and
whatever else might strike a guy's fancy) I grew up tooling around
that forest, and I've still never seen the far side of it, even on an
ATV. The folks from the cities love that for thier summer homes, and
they *do* drive up the prices.

My apartment had an unattached one-car garage, so I feel your pain!
My solution was to get a mini lathe to put in the entranceway, and
spend the winter turning. Of course, now I've got the whole basement
to play with- I just need to get a dust collector to stick in the
garage right away so the wife doesn't get tired of the dust.... of
course, she *did* let me have a lathe inside our apartment, so she
might not mind anyhow.

But even while it's good to know that somebody can find a decent house for
a decent price, anywhere, in these times, you still suck. :-)

Thanks! Lots of looking, and lots of luck. The other ones we looked
at were junk piles.

Did you bring a family into it, or are you planning on adding one on later?

A wife, a dog, and a couple of cats. For now, we're still undecided
whether or not we're going to expand the family unit (I've got some
nieces and nephews I can borrow, and the wife and I enjoy our quiet
and our hobbies)

Dan

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:26:15 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Not quite a gloat? Sounds to me like you just scored the score of your
life.

True... could be a gloat after all. It's not my final house, but it's
a damn nice starter untill I get to a point where I can build my own!

If you like the neighborhood, give some thought to building on to your house
rather than starting from scratch. It appears from your description that
the house you bought was built to last.

It sure is, and I may just stay right where I'm at- though I sure
would like to design and build my own someday. Time will tell- and
I'm not going to complain much if I never get around to it when I've
got this place.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
GregP

wrote:

Owen Lawrence wrote:

You just bought a shop with built-in living quarters for $73k. Your life
is
now underway. It IS a gloat, and let me be the first to say You Suck!

Second that. $73,000 with all that custom woodwork stuff? Unless the house
is only 800 sq. ft. or something, he sucketh royally.

Nope, 3 bedrooms and clean as a whistle! It was a heck of a price
even for rural Wisconsin. My brother bought one for a couple thousand
more, and it's got a leaky roof and dry rot in the floor joists. Just
a case of being in the right place at the right time, and being
willing to move when it was -20 f.

Well, unless it's crawling with termites or something.

Not even a spiderweb in the place

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

It's sitting on top of clay slurry (that's why they sold it when
it's -20 F :-)
Silvan

Roger Shoaf wrote:

If you like the neighborhood, give some thought to building on to your
house
rather than starting from scratch. It appears from your description that
the house you bought was built to last.

I'm thinking the same. I've spent a fair amount of time poking around in
new construction lately, and I'm not impressed at all. Next they'll be
building houses out of gobs of toilet paper and popsicle sticks.

Prometheus wrote:
[...]

WOW!!! 75K for a shop with a Home. Major gloat to me!! Where I am can't
purchase a 1/4 acre land for less than $100K. He sucketh big time.

Prometheus

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:06:42 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Roger Shoaf wrote:

If you like the neighborhood, give some thought to building on to your
house
rather than starting from scratch. It appears from your description that
the house you bought was built to last.

I'm thinking the same. I've spent a fair amount of time poking around in
new construction lately, and I'm not impressed at all. Next they'll be
building houses out of gobs of toilet paper and popsicle sticks.

I've been busy as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest lately,
so this may be a little late- but I wasn't talking about paying
someone else to build me a house- I was talking about literally
building my own, so the er... "modern"... techniques of housebuilding
are fairly irrelevant. Though I know this is a woodworking forum, I'd
dearly love to make my final home out of quarried stone with nice
stout oak or maple beams connected with japanese-style joinery for the
interior framing. Probably not strictly necessary for a residence,
but I'd dearly love to leave a home behind me that I built with my own
hands that will stand for a thousand years (provided it doesn't get
torn down to make room for a Wal-Mart, that is)

Everyone's got to have a goal- that one is mine

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Robatoy

In article ,
Prometheus wrote:

Though I know this is a woodworking forum, I'd
dearly love to make my final home out of quarried stone with nice
stout oak or maple beams connected with japanese-style joinery for the
interior framing. Probably not strictly necessary for a residence,
but I'd dearly love to leave a home behind me that I built with my own
hands that will stand for a thousand years (provided it doesn't get
torn down to make room for a Wal-Mart, that is)

Everyone's got to have a goal- that one is mine

And a noble goal it is. Godspeed!