Joe Stead

Default Amazon delivery of heavy tools

How do they deliver items like contractor saw or jointers? Throw it off the
back of the truck? Will they leave it in your vestibule if you ask?

They have an "X5" jointer on sale with rebates, but I might go for the cheaper
one.
Jeff S

I think they deliver up to 75 lbs to you by normal shipping. At some point
they must use FOB or a Trucking company. I suggest you go to Amazon and go
to the shipping section. You can post a question and usually get an answer
in less than 24 hours. I always found them very helpful.

"Joe Stead" wrote in message
How do they deliver items like contractor saw or jointers? Throw it off
the
back of the truck? Will they leave it in your vestibule if you ask?

They have an "X5" jointer on sale with rebates, but I might go for the
cheaper
one.

Ba r r y

On 31 Dec 2004 00:16:58 GMT, (Joe Stead) wrote:

How do they deliver items like contractor saw or jointers?

A C-130 and a parachute. G

Actually, they send it by truck, and that means a wide variation in
service. Plenty of folks report happy truckers who will gladly help
unload the tool.

Here in the union-heavy Northeast, it can go from a shining star nice
guy, to a miserable moron who feels he's doing you a favor if he
actually slows the rig down while he drives by and writes "no access"
on the bill of lading. Flip a coin to see who you get today!

Most all companies will allow you to pick the item up at a local dock.
*Local* could mean your hometown, or three hours of one way driving
away. Some carriers will offer a lift gate truck, sometimes at extra
charge. Others will simply show up with a tractor trailer, and if the
truck can't get in to your residential street, or you can't get it off
the trailer, the shipment goes to the local depot. (See *Local*,
above).

I'm lucky to live local to Tools Plus and Coastal Tool, both of which
routinely beat Amazon's prices. Both small guys have fork lifts and
nice folks who help me load the tool into my trailer. Do you have
ANY local dealers who are negotiable? If I mail order, I have the
item sent to my friend's local business who has a forklift, as I have
not had good luck with local trucking companies.

Heck, FedEx Ground has destroyed small Lee Valley shipments coming to
me. I'd love to see what they can do with cast iron! G

Barry
George

"Joe Stead" wrote in message
How do they deliver items like contractor saw or jointers? Throw it off

the
back of the truck? Will they leave it in your vestibule if you ask?

They have an "X5" jointer on sale with rebates, but I might go for the

cheaper
one.

Amazon doesn't deliver, a freight outfit delivers. You _might_ be able to
specify by contacting Amazon, but if my experience means anything, it's
"space available" over all.

The company policies are on paper, but it's the driver who counts, and your
being there makes it more difficult for him/her to invoke company policy.
There's usually a dolly or pallet jack on board to get your item to the
rear, though having your own dolly available is advisable. That, a
forewarned neighbor or two, or ten bucks east/five bucks mid/twenty far west
will get the thing where it needs to be.

If you can't be at home, take a couple friends, one of whom is called dolly,
to the depot and load it yourself. The company is close at the depot, so
don't anticipate more than the minimum from the dock rats.

patrick conroy

"Joe Stead" wrote in message

How do they deliver items like contractor saw or jointers? Throw it off
the
back of the truck? Will they leave it in your vestibule if you ask?

Only speaking from experience about 2 1/2 years ago - they shipped my Table
Saw via FedEx Heavy. Guy wheeled it right into my garage.

jo4hn

Joe Stead wrote:

How do they deliver items like contractor saw or jointers? Throw it off the
back of the truck? Will they leave it in your vestibule if you ask?

They have an "X5" jointer on sale with rebates, but I might go for the cheaper
one.

They delivered my Griz jointer to my house in the boondocks. Had a
tractor-trailer of some size with a lift gate. The guy put it on the
ground and trucked it into my garage with a hand truck. No easy trip on
a 3/4 stone driveway even if it was only 25 feet or so. He told me not
to pay the extra for the lift gate because residential deliveries in my
neck of the woods always had a lift anyway. Satisfied customer.
mahalo,
jo4hn