Ba r r y

On 31 Dec 2004 00:16:58 GMT, (Joe Stead) wrote:

How do they deliver items like contractor saw or jointers?

A C-130 and a parachute. G

Actually, they send it by truck, and that means a wide variation in
service. Plenty of folks report happy truckers who will gladly help
unload the tool.

Here in the union-heavy Northeast, it can go from a shining star nice
guy, to a miserable moron who feels he's doing you a favor if he
actually slows the rig down while he drives by and writes "no access"
on the bill of lading. Flip a coin to see who you get today!

Most all companies will allow you to pick the item up at a local dock.
*Local* could mean your hometown, or three hours of one way driving
away. Some carriers will offer a lift gate truck, sometimes at extra
charge. Others will simply show up with a tractor trailer, and if the
truck can't get in to your residential street, or you can't get it off
the trailer, the shipment goes to the local depot. (See *Local*,
above).

I'm lucky to live local to Tools Plus and Coastal Tool, both of which
routinely beat Amazon's prices. Both small guys have fork lifts and
nice folks who help me load the tool into my trailer. Do you have
ANY local dealers who are negotiable? If I mail order, I have the
item sent to my friend's local business who has a forklift, as I have
not had good luck with local trucking companies.

Heck, FedEx Ground has destroyed small Lee Valley shipments coming to
me. I'd love to see what they can do with cast iron! G

Barry