MSCHAEF.COM

Default Ordering heavy tools from Amazon?

I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any
conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them?
To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company
I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...)

Thanks,
Mike

--
http://www.mschaef.com
RonB

I have ordered 'light' tools (sanders, mortise jigs, etc) from them on a few
occasions and received them promptly and at a good price.

However, I suspect ordering things like machinery (example - Grizzly) from
them is counter-productive. I suspect they are just a clearing house that
forwards the order to Springfield or one of the other Grizzly locations.
The heavy tool prices appear to the the same as Griz, or standard retail on
others. If you cannot get a deal on shipping cost, throught Amazon, why
bother.

mp

I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any
conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them?
To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company
I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...)

More than likely all Amazon is doing is just taking the order and drop
shipping from the manufacturers warehouse. Don't count on them much for
technical support and customer service, for that you'll likely need to deal
with the manufacturer.

Dust Boy

I've ordered heavy tools jointer etc. I had no problem free shipping etc.
However, I had it delivered to where I work. We have a freight dock so I
got it faster. If you have it delivered to your home the freight company
has to arrange for a truck with a lift gate and this might be extra $. Also
the driver normally wont help except to get it to the ground.
Good Luck Mike

"MSCHAEF.COM" wrote in message
I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any
conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them?
To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company
I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...)

Thanks,
Mike

--
http://www.mschaef.com

Dust Boy

More than likely all Amazon is doing is just taking the order and drop
shipping from the manufacturers warehouse. Don't count on them much for
technical support and customer service, for that you'll likely need to

deal
with the manufacturer.

I did have a problem with one tool a Jet. Amazon was very quick to put me
in contact with the Jet person who was responsible. Jet however was slow to
respond sent me the wrong part first and finally sealed the deal two weeks
after first request. The reality is do your homework on the mfg., as well
as the distributor.

remove ohno to reply.

GregP

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:51:24 -0600, "RonB" wrote:

I have ordered 'light' tools (sanders, mortise jigs, etc) from them on a few
occasions and received them promptly and at a good price.

However, I suspect ordering things like machinery (example - Grizzly) from
them is counter-productive. I suspect they are just a clearing house that
forwards the order to Springfield or one of the other Grizzly locations.
The heavy tool prices appear to the the same as Griz, or standard retail on
others. If you cannot get a deal on shipping cost, throught Amazon, why
bother.

The heavy tools that I've looked at on Amazon were in most
cases offered with free shipping. Looking at some of the
"reviews," it appears that some customers have had problems
with the free shipping.
Lewis

Hi,
I've gotten a table saw (JET contractor's saw) and a planer (JET
12.5") from Amazon. The saw came truck freight, and the planer UPS.
Both times it was an easy transaction and a good price. I wouldn't
hesitate to do it again.
Lewis
mnterpfan

(MSCHAEF.COM) wrote in message ...
I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any
conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them?
To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company
I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...)

Thanks,
Mike

I ordered my Grizzly 1023S from them and had it within 3 days. (I
picked up at trucking depot) Fence box was damaged but fence was fine.
Saw came unmolested and spot on.

I ordered a Jet Dust collector through them and packaging was fine.
However, there were paint chips that must have been due to
manufacturing issues. UPS man wasn't happy about that delivery.

I ordered a Jet Mini lathe through them with bed extension. The mini
lathe was fine but the bed extension box was badly mangled. This was
delivered by FedEx. One end of the box was completely missing. I
received this item yesterday and haven't had time to clean off the
cosmolene and check it out. It seems okay. However, there appear to be
minor paint chips again. Jet seems to use thick paint but lousy
primer.

Anyway, none of the minor problems were Amazon's fault. You could
probably go to a local woodworking store and buy an item. You would be
able to eye it up, at least in the box. You might be able to unpackage
it and inspect it too. I don't know. However, you will probably pay
more and pay tax. You might even have to pay a special order fee.

On a side note, Amazon usually goes above and beyond in packaging
smaller items.

Good luck. Go the method with which you are most comfortable. Half of
pride in possessions is the perception of having received a good and
fair deal. Ability to gloat with others also plays a part.

Eric
John Thomas

GregP wrote in
news
However, I suspect ordering things like machinery (example - Grizzly)
from them is counter-productive. I suspect they are just a clearing
house that forwards the order to Springfield or one of the other
Grizzly locations. The heavy tool prices appear to the the same as
Griz, or standard retail on others. If you cannot get a deal on
shipping cost, throught Amazon, why bother.

The heavy tools that I've looked at on Amazon were in most
cases offered with free shipping. Looking at some of the
"reviews," it appears that some customers have had problems
with the free shipping.

If it comes from Grizzly, you'll still pay Griz's shipping price on top
of the item's price -- I don't know, though, if Amazon then uses their
own shipper, or Griz's. I suspect Griz's, but that's only a guess. (I
think they just drop ship from Griz).

The heaviest I've ordered from Amazon was a P-C pancake compressor, got
a good price, and free shipping. Was delivered with FedEx ground very
promptly.

I was looking into this pretty recently, as I was in the bandsaw market,
and thought I might be able to get a better price through Amazon. Ended
up with a JET 14" deluxe, bought at the local Woodcraft. Same price as
Amazon, and zero hassle with shipping -- took it home that day in the
back of my truck.

Regards,

JT

sr_wood

I've ordered several big machines from Amazon.com. So far (knock on
wood)...
no problems. Everyone I've spoken with that have had problems have
said that
Amazons customer service is #1. I recently spoke with a gentleman
that purchased a DJ-20 jointer(through amazon) and had nothing but
problems. He said that none of the local reps would help him at all,
because he purchased it from amazon. But after speaking with amazon
they picked up jointer and replaced it. My instructor said that with
jointers like Delta about half of them are good and half of them have
a defect of some kind no matter were you get them. I'm not sure if
that is true with other tools. Not very positive. So he suggests
getting a machine from a local company and be sure it is a solid,
straight machine

(MSCHAEF.COM) wrote in message ...
I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any
conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them?
To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company
I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...)

Thanks,
Mike

patrick conroy

"MSCHAEF.COM" wrote in message

I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any

It works very well. I ordered my "hybird" table saw from them. No tax, free
shipping. FedEx heavy showed up when promised and rolled it right into my
garage.

Amazon (Tool Crib) is now the first place I look when shopping for *any*
tool.

AAvK

I have ordered 'light' tools (sanders, mortise jigs, etc) from them on a few
occasions and received them promptly and at a good price.
However, I suspect ordering things like machinery (example - Grizzly) from
them is counter-productive. I suspect they are just a clearing house that
forwards the order to Springfield or one of the other Grizzly locations.
The heavy tool prices appear to the the same as Griz, or standard retail on
others. If you cannot get a deal on shipping cost, throught Amazon, why
bother.

There are companies such as Grizz and "tool crib" that use Amazon to sell through,
you know it when they charge extra for shipping. If it's free shipping then it is Amazon
selling it.

Alex

Gary Cude

I ordered a tablesaw from them. The saw was delivered in about 3
weeks. They gave me a date range of when they thought the saw would
arrive. Only hitch was that the truck driver called 30 minutes before
delivery to tell me he was on his way to my house ... I was at work at
the time and had to rush to beat him there. The truck had a lift gate
on the back and the driver lowered the saw to the ground and used his
pallet jack to wheel it into the garage. He took the time to help
unbox and check for internal damage and even offered to help get it
off the pallet. The only thing that I could find to complain about
was one of the cast wings had one corner of the surface that didn't
seem to be ground as uniformly as the rest. I called Amazon,
expecting them to offer to ship a replacement wing. They instead
offered a 20% discount ... I nearly fell over but tried not to show my
excitement to much. I told them I could live with the small
imperfection in return for the adjustment ...

If you decide to purchase from Amazon, I hope your experience is as
good or better than mine was on this purchase. On the other hand, I
purchased a router via one of their 3rd party sellers and never
received the product and had to get a refund on that purchase due to
the fraudulent seller. They were helpful and understanding, but the
process took about 2 1/2 months to play out.

BTW: The saw weighed 650 pounds. 20% credit came out to $439.

(MSCHAEF.COM) wrote in message ...
I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any
conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them?
To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company
I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...)

Thanks,
Mike

Lobby Dosser

"AAvK" wrote:

I have ordered 'light' tools (sanders, mortise jigs, etc) from them
on a few occasions and received them promptly and at a good price.
However, I suspect ordering things like machinery (example - Grizzly)
from them is counter-productive. I suspect they are just a clearing
house that forwards the order to Springfield or one of the other
Grizzly locations. The heavy tool prices appear to the the same as
Griz, or standard retail on others. If you cannot get a deal on
shipping cost, throught Amazon, why bother.

There are companies such as Grizz and "tool crib" that use Amazon to
sell through, you know it when they charge extra for shipping. If it's
free shipping then it is Amazon selling it.

Alex

Amazon OWNS Tool Crib.
Fred Miner

"RonB" wrote in message news:2SGrd.81207$EZ.48674@okepread07...
I have ordered 'light' tools (sanders, mortise jigs, etc) from them on a few
occasions and received them promptly and at a good price.

However, I suspect ordering things like machinery (example - Grizzly) from
them is counter-productive. I suspect they are just a clearing house that
forwards the order to Springfield or one of the other Grizzly locations.
The heavy tool prices appear to the the same as Griz, or standard retail on
others. If you cannot get a deal on shipping cost, throught Amazon, why
bother.

I ordered a DeWalt planner from them a couple years ago and the
shipping was free, and as a bonus no sales tax.

Fred
Russ

I ordered a Delta 37-195 jointer from them back at Fathers day. Amazon
had it marked down to $479.00, then they offered $50.00 off any
purchase over $250.00, I then had a $20.00 gift certificate, and then
qualified for free shipping. Grand total $409.00 delivered to my door.
I could not touch it for this anywhere else. It did take 2 weeks to
arrive as it was shipped truck freight, and it came directly from
Delta. I have ordered other things from the tool crib, and have always
been very satisfied.

Russ
AAvK

Amazon OWNS Tool Crib.

"aahhh"... did no' no dat, so solly so sollyyyyyy....

Arex

Jim Giblin

I ordered a Jet SuperSaw from Amazon a couple of years ago. The price for
the saw (~$1200 saw w/ sliding table) was the same as the local woodworking
store but, unlike the local store, Amazon had free shipping and no sales tax
(5% in MA). Like others have posted, the product was delivered by FedEx
Heavy. FedEx called to schedule the delivery, arrived when they said they
would and the driver used a pallet lift to wheel the boxes into my garage.

I didn't have any coupons to reduce the saw price but I figure the free
shipping and sales tax was worth a couple of hundred dollars :-).

"MSCHAEF.COM" wrote in message
I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any
conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them?
To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company
I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...)

Thanks,
Mike

--
http://www.mschaef.com

Silvan

Gary Cude wrote:

was one of the cast wings had one corner of the surface that didn't
seem to be ground as uniformly as the rest. I called Amazon,
expecting them to offer to ship a replacement wing. They instead

BTW: The saw weighed 650 pounds. 20% credit came out to $439.

Nice drive-by. You suck!

I ordered a JET mini lathe from them (Amazon/Tool Crib). Not as heavy as
the big iron y'all're talking about. I think it came UPS or FedEx on a
regular truck, with a buncha big yellow "WARNING: HEAVY ITEM!" tape stuck
all over it. About 80-90 pounds IIRC.

The free shipping was the real deal, and that's hard to beat with a stick on
some of this big stuff. They're eating a fortune in shipping. My total
was exactly as advertised, with nary a penny added for handling, shipping,
or other surcharges. Pretty sweet.

I haven't ordered any larger items from Amazon, but they have to use the
same motor freight everyone else uses, so the deal is about the same no
matter who's shipping. The deal will vary wildly depending on where you
live. Where you live will influence what carrier they use, and it will
also influence how that carrier handles the delivery. Some do not do
residential under any circumstances (and who could blame them...
residential neighborhoods are absolute hell for trucks) while others will
be happy to oblige if they can. Some will have lift gates, and some will
be happy to tote the thing to your shop, while others will just tailgate it
and wait for you to figure out what to do with the thing from there. As a
rule of thumb, you shouldn't COUNT on the driver doing more than tailgating
it unless you (or SWMBO) have nice tits and show some cleavage.

For a gigantic item like a 700-pound saw, it's probably worth the effort to
get some details ahead of time so you know what to expect. If you live on
a dirt or gravel road, think when was the last time you saw a tractor
trailer out there. The answer is probably never, and for damn good reason.
It's worth finding out what carrier they're going to use, and what shipping
policies are in effect at that carrier's terminal nearest to your location.

Or, if you happen to work some place with a loading dock, getting the thing
shipped to your place of business is more of a sure bet. I just had my
Griz items shipped to the warehouse at work.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

mnterpfan wrote:

cosmolene and check it out. It seems okay. However, there appear to be
minor paint chips again. Jet seems to use thick paint but lousy
primer.

Second that.

Anyway, none of the minor problems were Amazon's fault. You could

Considering all the bumps and bruises from Chiwan to your door, and
especially the miserable life of any piece of freight unfortunate enough to
spend any time on a common carrier's truck, no.

(My company has a fleet of trucks because common carriers were delivering
50% of our merchandise mangled beyond recognition. I've seen the back end
of plenty of those trucks, and it's no wonder why. They do a crap job of
securing their cargo against load shifting, and they really just don't seem
to give a rat's ass about the stuff they're handling.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Walter H. Klaus

I found, that with Amazon, if you call in your order, you can request for
$25 that the driver will unload the shipment. I purchase the Delta 16" lathe
and the Jet super saw. I tried doing it on line and they didnt know what I
was talking about.

Walter H. Klaus

"Silvan" wrote in message
Gary Cude wrote:

[...]

Roy Smith

"Walter H. Klaus" wrote:
I found, that with Amazon, if you call in your order, you can request for
$25 that the driver will unload the shipment. I purchase the Delta 16" lathe
and the Jet super saw. I tried doing it on line and they didnt know what I
was talking about.

I've had mixed experiences with this. I've ordered two heavy machines
(a jointer and a table saw) from Amazon.

The jointer I ordered from the web site, with free shipping. It came
FedEx Ground. The truck had a lift gate and the truck driver had a
hydraulic forklift designed for moving palletized cargo. He wheeled it
down my driveway and parked it in my garage. Piece of cake.

The table saw I ordered on the phone from ToolCrib (which I guess is now
a division of Amazon). The basic shipping was free, but I paid extra
for on-the-ground delivery (I don't remember how much extra, but
something like $25). Amazingly enough, this didn't go as smoothly.

The truck that pulled up was some generic freight company truck. It did
indeed have a lift gate, and there was the same kind of hydraulic
forklift in the truck, but the driver insisted he wasn't going to use
it! I pointed out to him where it said on the shipping paperwork that I
had paid for on-the-ground delivery. He insisted that on-the-ground
meant he was going to leave it on the curb (actually, not even that, he
was going to unload it onto the street). I pointed out that he had a
forklift and it wouldn't be any sweat to just plop it in the garage, and
I'd be happy to help him. He said that I hadn't paid for the use of the
forklift. Technically, he was correct, but it sure felt like a
shakedown to me. Eventually, he relented and agreed to put it in the
garage for me.

Based on that experience, if I ever were to order something heavy again,
I suspect I'd specify FedEx Ground.
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:03:03 -0500, Roy Smith calmly
ranted:

Based on that experience, if I ever were to order something heavy again,
I suspect I'd specify FedEx Ground.

My mortiser came from Griz via FedEx Express Ground as well, not FedEx
Ground, they're 2 different entities and Express is the trucking firm.
He had a liftgate on his bobtail truck and rolled it to my door on a
pneumatic wheeled hand truck. Good attitude, great service: the way
it should always be.

* OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
* meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
* "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com

Greg O

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
"Walter H. Klaus" wrote:

The table saw I ordered on the phone from ToolCrib (which I guess is now
a division of Amazon).

There is Amazon Tool Crib, and there is Acme Electric, Tool Crib of the
North, DO NOT confuse the two!
Amazon bought Tool Crib's online/catalog portion of the business, other than
that they have nothing at all to do with each other!
Mention Amazon in a Acme store and you will get informed of that fact!

As for why the shipping went better one time over the other I have no idea,
but I have read posts of people's complaints for not getting the delivery
they requested from Amazon too.
Greg

Kevin Craig

In article , Roy Smith
wrote:

The truck that pulled up was some generic freight company truck. It did
indeed have a lift gate, and there was the same kind of hydraulic
forklift in the truck, but the driver insisted he wasn't going to use
it! I pointed out to him where it said on the shipping paperwork that I
had paid for on-the-ground delivery. He insisted that on-the-ground
meant he was going to leave it on the curb (actually, not even that, he
was going to unload it onto the street). I pointed out that he had a
forklift and it wouldn't be any sweat to just plop it in the garage, and
I'd be happy to help him. He said that I hadn't paid for the use of the
forklift. Technically, he was correct, but it sure felt like a
shakedown to me. Eventually, he relented and agreed to put it in the
garage for me.

I hope the first thing you do in such a situation is take note of the
"generic" freight company name and number, from the truck.

Next, I can imagine a conversation like this: "Fine. Keep it on your
truck and carry your happy ass back to the depot. Before you get there,
I'll have already informed Tool Crib and your boss that you refused to
deliver as they promised, but offered to give extra service for some
off-the-books cash money."

Best case, he unloads as expected. Worst case, he returns to his
warehouse, where he's greeted by an unhappy boss. Even if he doesn't
get fired on the spot, it's unlikely that he would be the next driver
to attempt delivery to you.

Kevin

Gary

"MSCHAEF.COM" wrote in message
I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any
conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them?
To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company
I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...)

Thanks,
Mike

--
http://www.mschaef.com

I purchased my unisaw locally; dealer loaded it on my truck, I had to carry
it home and unload it myself and pay 5% sales tax. I ordered my 8" jointer
and Amazon delivered it for free except I paid $25 for liftgate service.
Driver unloaded it and placed it inside my shop. and NO sales tax. I think
you'll find most local dealers won't give you any better service than
Amazon. I'm certain my unisaw dealer wouldn't do a thing if I had a problem
with it other than refer me to a service rep, same as Amazon. At least
Amazon delivers. And no sales tax.

Gary

Chris

I've bought a lot from them. Usually free delivery, no tax. The only
downside with something heavy is someone has to be around to accept
delivery. Don't think I ever had a bad experience with them.

Chris

"Gary" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Gary" wrote in message
Driver unloaded it and placed it inside my shop. and NO sales tax.

Of course you are still liable for the Use Tax for out of state purchases
and will report it promptly

patrick conroy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

Of course you are still liable for the Use Tax for out of state purchases
and will report it promptly

Right below where I declare my Tips and what we pay the Nanny.

Joe_Stein

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message

Driver unloaded it and placed it inside my shop. and NO sales tax.

Of course you are still liable for the Use Tax for out of state purchases
and will report it promptly

Wanna bet?