Default Lap-Sharp LS-200 horizontal sharpening center?

Has anyone had experience with the Wood Artistry Lap-Sharp LS-200
sharpening system? I saw it demonstrated at Japan Woodworker and it
looked interesting. I haven't much liked my Tormek.
I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

- afb

Mike in Mystic

where are you located, I'd be happy to my your Tormek hehe

I have a Veritas MKII power sharpening system - which is similar in many
ways to the lapsharp. I think it is absolutely the best sharpening tool for
beveled edge tools - mainly chisels and plane irons for me. The jig that is
used with it allows for easy and accurate setting of bevel angles - I'm not
sure if the lapsharp has such a jig or not. Anyway, the MKII is probably
less than half the price of the lapsharp, and I don't really see why the
lapsharp can justify that much of a premium.

What don't you like about your Tormek? I'm planning on buying one in the
near future for my turning and carving tools.

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone had experience with the Wood Artistry Lap-Sharp LS-200
sharpening system? I saw it demonstrated at Japan Woodworker and it
looked interesting. I haven't much liked my Tormek.
I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

- afb

Dave W

Hi Mike,
Is there a reason for not using the Veritas system on carving tools? I
have been thinking about buying on of these primarially for carving tools.
DAve

Mike in Mystic

you're talking about the MKII, right?

I suppose it would work ok, but it would be done freehand, which I don't
really have the confidence to do. If you are ok with that, I'm sure it
would work fine. The tormek jigs for sharpening tools seem to be extremely
well thought out, and coupled with the profiled honing wheel, it seems to be
a great solution for turning/carving tools. I haven't tried anything but
flat tools on my MKII, so I can't say much about it directly.

Mike

"Dave W" wrote in message
Hi Mike,
Is there a reason for not using the Veritas system on carving tools?

have been thinking about buying on of these primarially for carving tools.
DAve

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Ditto what Mike said. I have used my MKII for mostly flat, bevelled items
but most recently I've been sharpening turning tools on it free hand. They
come out
alright. I suppose I could build a little jig to make it more precise for
free hand work, but overall, I've been
very happy with the sharpener.

Mike, where to you buy the replacement abrasives? Lee Valley's got em but
I was hoping for a more affordable
version (heck, Lee Valley's price may just be affordable as I've yet to see
anyone else carrying these types of abrasives)

Cheers,
cc

m...

"Dave W" wrote in message
Hi Mike,
Is there a reason for not using the Veritas system on carving tools?

have been thinking about buying on of these primarially for carving
tools.
DAve

Duane Bozarth

Mike in Mystic wrote:

I have a Veritas MKII power sharpening system - which is similar in many
ways to the lapsharp. I think it is absolutely the best sharpening tool for
beveled edge tools - mainly chisels and plane irons for me. The jig that is
used with it allows for easy and accurate setting of bevel angles - I'm not
sure if the lapsharp has such a jig or not. Anyway, the MKII is probably
less than half the price of the lapsharp, and I don't really see why the
lapsharp can justify that much of a premium.

What width of planer/jointer knives could be handled?
Duane Bozarth

Mike in Mystic wrote:

...The tormek jigs for sharpening tools seem to be extremely
well thought out, and coupled with the profiled honing wheel, it seems to be
a great solution for turning/carving tools. ...

All the Tormek stuff seems to be mostly pretty well priced out...I'm
open to hear whether others feel it is really worth anything close to
what they're asking...
Groggy

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:51:55 -0600, in rec.woodworking you wrote:

Mike in Mystic wrote:

...The tormek jigs for sharpening tools seem to be extremely
well thought out, and coupled with the profiled honing wheel, it seems to be
a great solution for turning/carving tools. ...

All the Tormek stuff seems to be mostly pretty well priced out...I'm
open to hear whether others feel it is really worth anything close to
what they're asking...

The following was accidentally sent to email (sorry Duane, I am unused
to this browser)

I was pretty disappointed with the Tormek. After reading some glowing
recommendations I put my hands on one and found it didn't match my
expectations. The casing flexed, it requires frequent replacement of
its bushings (I am told by a heavy user) and the add-ons are priced to
kill.

I bought a Scangrind 200 instead and saved a fortune. The Scangrind
has a forward/reverse switch, which is a nice option.

http://www.scantool.com/page115.aspx

Note that the accessories for the Scangrind are also expensive, though
the intitial capital outlay is much smaller. Fully accessorised, it
costs about the same as the entry level Tormek sans accessories.

Greg

I found it difficult to square my beveled edge tools to the Tormek
wheel. It is also a pain to dress between the different wheel grits,
and the stropping wheel clogs easily.

Since I don't turn or carve right now the horizontal wheel seemed like
it could be a better fit, and i like the Lap-Sharp's quick change grit
wheels. It is definitely expensive, though.

afb

Duane Bozarth

Groggy wrote:
I was pretty disappointed with the Tormek. After reading some glowing
recommendations I put my hands on one and found it didn't match my
expectations. The casing flexed, it requires frequent replacement of
its bushings (I am told by a heavy user) and the add-ons are priced to
kill.

I bought a Scangrind 200 instead and saved a fortune. The Scangrind
has a forward/reverse switch, which is a nice option.

http://www.scantool.com/page115.aspx

Note that the accessories for the Scangrind are also expensive, though
the intitial capital outlay is much smaller. Fully accessorised, it
costs about the same as the entry level Tormek sans accessories.

Thanks for the link, I'll go look...I was unaware of it.

Steve Knight

well you can get the makita adapt it for sandpaper like I use it for and adapt
it to use the tormek jigs.
http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...sharpening.htm
that makes it do about anything you want to sharpen.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Mike in Mystic

the wheel diameter is 8 inches, but I think you'd need a jig to do planer
and jointer knives accurately. I've heard that Veritas is going to come out
with such a jig at some point, but not sure when that will be. The Tormek
(so I'm told) does these tools very well, so that's another reason for
getting one.

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Mike in Mystic wrote:

I have a Veritas MKII power sharpening system - which is similar in many
ways to the lapsharp. I think it is absolutely the best sharpening tool
for
beveled edge tools - mainly chisels and plane irons for me. The jig that
is
used with it allows for easy and accurate setting of bevel angles - I'm
not
sure if the lapsharp has such a jig or not. Anyway, the MKII is probably
less than half the price of the lapsharp, and I don't really see why the
lapsharp can justify that much of a premium.

What width of planer/jointer knives could be handled?

Duane Bozarth

Mike in Mystic wrote:

the wheel diameter is 8 inches, but I think you'd need a jig to do planer
and jointer knives accurately. I've heard that Veritas is going to come out
with such a jig at some point, but not sure when that will be. The Tormek
(so I'm told) does these tools very well, so that's another reason for
getting one.

I've seen very mixed reviews on the Tormek plus they just seem terribly
overpriced to me...

The planer/jointer knife jig attachment is 2/3-rds the price of the
sharpener or thereabouts...

Anybody got any input on the Makita flat wheel system?
Lowell Holmes

Mike in Mystic wrote:

the wheel diameter is 8 inches, but I think you'd need a jig to do planer
and jointer knives accurately. I've heard that Veritas is going to come
out
with such a jig at some point, but not sure when that will be. The
Tormek
(so I'm told) does these tools very well, so that's another reason for
getting one.

I've seen very mixed reviews on the Tormek plus they just seem terribly
overpriced to me...

The planer/jointer knife jig attachment is 2/3-rds the price of the
sharpener or thereabouts...

Anybody got any input on the Makita flat wheel system?

Google Steve Knight . . . . . . . . . . :-)

Duane Bozarth

Steve Knight wrote:

Google Steve Knight . . . . . . . . . . :-)

I had already posted but here you go well you can get the makita adapt it for
sandpaper like I use it for and adapt
it to use the tormek jigs.
http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...sharpening.htm
that makes it do about anything you want to sharpen.

Thanks, Steve, I somehow missed the Makita part when I skimmed
previously.

That still requires purchasing Tormek jigs which are
expensive...although the base sharpener is $150 or so less which cuts
the pain some.

The description in the catalogue of the Makita says it can handle up to
15" knives...is that as it comes or is that some sort of hype?
Steve Knight

That still requires purchasing Tormek jigs which are
expensive...although the base sharpener is $150 or so less which cuts
the pain some.

The description in the catalogue of the Makita says it can handle up to
15" knives...is that as it comes or is that some sort of hype?

I just pointed out that you can make the makita do more then any other machine.
It should be able to handle them. the knife older is atleast 12" but I bet
longer. I have only used it for jointer knives. and then only a couple of times
since I did not have a jointer for a long time. but you can make the jigs too.
though most of my work is free hand.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes