Groggy

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:51:55 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Mike in Mystic wrote:

...The tormek jigs for sharpening tools seem to be extremely
well thought out, and coupled with the profiled honing wheel, it seems to be
a great solution for turning/carving tools. ...

All the Tormek stuff seems to be mostly pretty well priced out...I'm
open to hear whether others feel it is really worth anything close to
what they're asking...

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:51:55 -0600, in rec.woodworking you wrote:

Mike in Mystic wrote:

...The tormek jigs for sharpening tools seem to be extremely
well thought out, and coupled with the profiled honing wheel, it seems to be
a great solution for turning/carving tools. ...

All the Tormek stuff seems to be mostly pretty well priced out...I'm
open to hear whether others feel it is really worth anything close to
what they're asking...

The following was accidentally sent to email (sorry Duane, I am unused
to this browser)

I was pretty disappointed with the Tormek. After reading some glowing
recommendations I put my hands on one and found it didn't match my
expectations. The casing flexed, it requires frequent replacement of
its bushings (I am told by a heavy user) and the add-ons are priced to
kill.

I bought a Scangrind 200 instead and saved a fortune. The Scangrind
has a forward/reverse switch, which is a nice option.

http://www.scantool.com/page115.aspx

Note that the accessories for the Scangrind are also expensive, though
the intitial capital outlay is much smaller. Fully accessorised, it
costs about the same as the entry level Tormek sans accessories.

Greg