Faustino Dina

Default router bit doesn't match the router hole by thousandths..

Hi guys,

I bought my first router, a Makita 3606, and my first bits, a stright and a
"V" shaped one. I've never had touch a router before so the first I realized
was the coupling of the router bit to the router was very tight for the
stright bit. I had not to force the bit to get into the router, but it had
no movement inside, without closing the nut. "Ok, this is not a drill, it is
a high speed machine, everything should be exact match" -I though. But when
tested the "V" shaped bit, it doesn't fit into the router. It's also a
1/4'', I checked, but it looks like only by thousandths it doesn't fit. I
returned back to the store and I was lucky, I could replace the bit. But now
I afraid May be is it the makita router too narrow? Will I find the same
problem again and agai when buying bits? Is it any method for the router
bits the get "softened" (I mean using oil, polisher or something else) such
a way to allow the bit get into the router?

Thanks in advance
Faustino

Bob

"Faustino Dina" wrote in message

Is it any method for the router
bits the get "softened" (I mean using oil, polisher or something else)

such
a way to allow the bit get into the router?

Your bits should fit snugly in the router collette before its tightened, but
not require forcing or oil or polishing. Be sure the locking nut is backed
off all the way before you try to insert the bit. A router collette has got
two "stages" for loosening. It could be that the collette is partially
engaged when you try to insert the bit.

If loosening the nut doesn't help, then I think you have an out of tolerance
collette and should return the router for a new one.

Bob

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:28:26 -0600, "Faustino Dina"
wrote:

But when
tested the "V" shaped bit, it doesn't fit into the router. It's also a
1/4'',

Watch out for 6mm metric bits. They look like 1/4", but they're 1/3rd
of a mm too small and they won't clamp safely in a 1/4" router collet.

Alternatively, check you don't have a 6mm router collet and a 1/4"
bits.

Personally I throw 6mm bits away. Too much risk of mixing them.

Leon

[...]

In addition to the other advice, some collet nuts will be loose but still
not open enough to accept a bit. This is true on a lot of self extracting
collets. Try loosening the collet 2 or 3 more turns. You may find that the
nut gets tighter to turn "again" while loosening and then start turning
freely again.

Faustino Dina

If loosening the nut doesn't help, then I think you have an out of
tolerance
collette and should return the router for a new one.

I trust more on the router than on the bits. From reading here Makita is a
good router maker. The stright bit is from Irwin. Made in China but it is
sold under the USA mark "American Tool". And that Irwin bit fits perfectly.
The bits that doesn't fits is sold without any commercial brand...

Faustino Dina

Watch out for 6mm metric bits. They look like 1/4", but they're 1/3rd
of a mm too small and they won't clamp safely in a 1/4" router collet.

Actually the bit doesn't fits. I got a replacement of the same unbranded
kind of bit and it fits better

Alternatively, check you don't have a 6mm router collet and a 1/4"
bits.

Router is Makita 3606 1HP 1/4" collet. This problematic bit is being sold
without any brand. The stright bit branded "Irwin/American Tool" fits
perfectly. Whom trust? I think best to trust Makita...

Faustino Dina

In addition to the other advice, some collet nuts will be loose but still
not open enough to accept a bit. This is true on a lot of self extracting
collets. Try loosening the collet 2 or 3 more turns. You may find that

the
nut gets tighter to turn "again" while loosening and then start turning
freely again.

I opened the collet full to the end. Inside is a ring, conic shaped on the
external surface, cilindric on the internal, with a longitudinal cut to
allow the bit get pressed by the collet. I hope not to damage anything...

Juergen Hannappel

"Faustino Dina" writes:

[...]

I opened the collet full to the end. Inside is a ring, conic shaped on the
external surface, cilindric on the internal, with a longitudinal cut to
allow the bit get pressed by the collet. I hope not to damage anything...

"a" longitudinal cut? Dou you really mean that there is only one slit?
Good ones have three slits, heap ones have four (because thats much
easier to make) and expensive large ones have many. But only one
cannot be good because with one there is no way to kep the bit centered.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Leon

"Faustino Dina" wrote in message
In addition to the other advice, some collet nuts will be loose but still
not open enough to accept a bit. This is true on a lot of self
extracting
collets. Try loosening the collet 2 or 3 more turns. You may find that

the
nut gets tighter to turn "again" while loosening and then start turning
freely again.

I opened the collet full to the end. Inside is a ring, conic shaped on the
external surface, cilindric on the internal, with a longitudinal cut to
allow the bit get pressed by the collet. I hope not to damage anything...

Do not rule out a bad collet either. My new Bosch 6 years ago would not let
go of the bit. The collet was in my hand with the bit and it was not
letting go. The dealer exchanged the collet nut and all was well.

max

WE had a similar problem with our Omnijig cutting box joints. Some would fit
and others wouldn't. The guide bushing was not concentric with the bit and
when we used the exact same approach it would work, when we rotated the
router it wouldn't. I use a dial indicator on the base or the router to
check it.
max

"Faustino Dina" wrote in message
In addition to the other advice, some collet nuts will be loose but still
not open enough to accept a bit. This is true on a lot of self
extracting
collets. Try loosening the collet 2 or 3 more turns. You may find that

the
nut gets tighter to turn "again" while loosening and then start turning
freely again.

I opened the collet full to the end. Inside is a ring, conic shaped on the
external surface, cilindric on the internal, with a longitudinal cut to
allow the bit get pressed by the collet. I hope not to damage anything...

Do not rule out a bad collet either. My new Bosch 6 years ago would not let
go of the bit. The collet was in my hand with the bit and it was not
letting go. The dealer exchanged the collet nut and all was well.

J. Clarke

Faustino Dina wrote:

Watch out for 6mm metric bits. They look like 1/4", but they're 1/3rd
of a mm too small and they won't clamp safely in a 1/4" router collet.

Actually the bit doesn't fits. I got a replacement of the same unbranded
kind of bit and it fits better

Alternatively, check you don't have a 6mm router collet and a 1/4"
bits.

Router is Makita 3606 1HP 1/4" collet. This problematic bit is being sold
without any brand. The stright bit branded "Irwin/American Tool" fits
perfectly. Whom trust? I think best to trust Makita...

It is best to trust nobody and to measure instead. The collets are
replaceable throwaway items on most routers--if you don't want to exchange
the router then get a new collet.

I've so far never encountered a router bit that physically wouldn't fit in
the collet on the router as long as the nominal size for the bit shank and
the collet were the same.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)