Richard Ferguson

Default BIG HOLE, NO BRAINS, NEED ANSWER

If you use a router bit with the guide roller on top, you can put the
template on top, cut to the exact size and set in the correct position,
and then drill a starter hole. I think this is easier than putting the
guide roller and template on the bottom, better visibility and less
chance of shavings getting into the roller.

I have no idea whether or not this would work in aluminum. If I was
going to do this in wood, I would rough cut the hole to the approximate
size, with a portable jigsaw or other saw, and then use the router to
trim the hole to the final dimension. Even in wood, a router usually is
easier to use if you only take off a little at a time. Usually, I find
some other way to guide the router, but I think the guide roller on a
template is the best solution for that size hole. If you wanted to use
a router bit without a guide roller, you could just make the hole in
your template larger than the 7" hole, increase the radius by the
distance from the edge of the router bit to the edge of the router base.

Richard

wrote:
My consternation with getting a another ~7" hole in 3/8" aluminum
plate should be satisfied after this question.

Several helpful people have suggested that I use a template and
carbide router with guide bearing to cut the hole.

Well, in my mind, I can see that the template could either be on
either side of the plate. If on top, I would need a template much
larger than 7" so as to allow the router plate's edge to be in contact
with the template. It would necessitate my drilling a hole to get
started so that the bearing would fit through. Although, after
drilling the hole, the bearing wouldn't contact anything. May in the
case of the template being on top, I don't need a guide bearing on the
router bit.

If the template is on the bottom, I would cut only a 7" hole in the
template and also cut a starting hole in the aluminum all the way
through so that the router's guide bearing will contact the template.

So which should I do?

Thanks everyone for all of the input.

Soon, I will be asking about how to cut a small taper on a 7/8" shaft
with the lathe's compound rest.

Gummer

The easiest way to cut large holes, is with a plasma cutter. Make a simple
fixture into which the torch fits nicely, and which has a means of
adjustment for size of hole, and a means of centering. Then merely adjust to
your hole size and cut hole.

Other methods will work, but this is the fastest and simplest way, and is
certainly better if you have to cut more than one or 2 holes.

Gummer
wrote in message
.com...
[...]

michael

Gummer wrote:

The easiest way to cut large holes, is with a plasma cutter. Make a simple
fixture into which the torch fits nicely, and which has a means of
adjustment for size of hole, and a means of centering. Then merely adjust to
your hole size and cut hole.

Other methods will work, but this is the fastest and simplest way, and is
certainly better if you have to cut more than one or 2 holes.

Gummer

Of course! Almost everyone has a plasma cutter or two in their shop!

Colonel Wilhelm Klink

Ken Sterling

[...]

You can buy (or make) a set of bit bushings for the router which screw
into the base of the router and basically create a "tube" around the
bit. They can be selected to permit various size "gaps" between the
bit and the inside of the tubular bushing. After the bushing is in
place in the base of the router (sticking down below the base of the
router), the bit is inserted, and the depth is set. The template hole
can be only 1/8" or 1/4" larger than the desired hole in the material.
The starting hole is drilled, the bit of the router is placed down
through the starting hole and the *outside* of the bushing surrounding
the bit is held against the template edge as you go in a circle to cut
out the desired 7" disk. This way, a straight bit is used *without*
any guide bearings.
Hope this helps.
Ken.

Gummer

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

The easiest way to cut large holes, is with a plasma cutter. Make a

simple
fixture into which the torch fits nicely, and which has a means of
adjustment for size of hole, and a means of centering. Then merely

adjust to
your hole size and cut hole.

Other methods will work, but this is the fastest and simplest way, and

is
certainly better if you have to cut more than one or 2 holes.

Gummer

Of course! Almost everyone has a plasma cutter or two in their shop!

Colonel Wilhelm Klink

The fact that your workshop may well be pretty poorly equipped, doesnt mean
everyone elses is the same surely?

Gummer

michael

Gummer wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

The easiest way to cut large holes, is with a plasma cutter. Make a

simple
fixture into which the torch fits nicely, and which has a means of
adjustment for size of hole, and a means of centering. Then merely

adjust to
your hole size and cut hole.

Other methods will work, but this is the fastest and simplest way, and

is
certainly better if you have to cut more than one or 2 holes.

Gummer

Of course! Almost everyone has a plasma cutter or two in their shop!

Colonel Wilhelm Klink

The fact that your workshop may well be pretty poorly equipped, doesnt mean
everyone elses is the same surely?

Gummer

4 mills, 2 of which are cnc, 2 lathes, bandsaws, several grinders, welders,
vibe deburring, a ****load of cutting tools, thousands of dollars in inspection
tools, up to date cad/cam, bunches of misc stuff, and a dog, and a cat. If I
need a plasma cutter, I go see my bud about a mile away. Poorly equipped my
ass. Whatcha got besides a smartass mouth, dead brain?

General Nuisance

Gummer02

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

[...]

Seems strange that you dont have a plasma then, which for the money is one
of the most useful metalworking tools available!

Gummy

Gunner

On Mon, 3 May 2004 19:17:28 +0000 (UTC), "Gummer02"
wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

[...]

How well does it thread 316? btw..what sort of shaper do you have?

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Sue

wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

[...]

Well, hell, now I can't killfile him - again. I'm just dying to read
the answer to this. G
Sue

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

michael

wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

[...]

the corporate media would have us believe it can't be done! do you think this will
amend for the loss of 55........blah...blah...blah

Private Matter

I think I liked bein' a General Nuisance better.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

Sue

wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

[...]

LOL. Guess I can killfile him now because you're probably right about
his response.

Private Matter

I think I liked bein' a General Nuisance better.

G That *was* a good one.
Sue

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

Norman Stuart

wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

[...]

One wonders whether or not you are aware of the fact that Orwell fought
against people like you?.............lol

Norman

Norman Stuart

the corporate media would have us believe it can't be done! do you think
this will
amend for the loss of 55........blah...blah...blah

LOL. Guess I can killfile him now because you're probably right about
his response.

You gotta be amerikan Sue..............who else would be able to kill file
someone before knowing posting id?..........lol

Norman

Sue

On Tue, 4 May 2004 06:40:09 +0000 (UTC), "Norman Stuart"
wrote:

the corporate media would have us believe it can't be done! do you think

this will
amend for the loss of 55........blah...blah...blah

LOL. Guess I can killfile him now because you're probably right about
his response.

You gotta be amerikan Sue..............who else would be able to kill file
someone before knowing posting id?..........lol

Huh? I've killfiled everyone of his noms de computer. It's pretty
easy to identify the new ones without even reading the post. Let's
see. So you think that "gummer" fooled me? Or "gummer2"? Or even
"Gunner@yahoo whatever"? Sheesh.
You're really stretching to come up with an insult. Try again, OK?
Sue

Norman

Gunner

On Tue, 4 May 2004 06:35:02 +0000 (UTC), "Norman Stuart"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
Gummer wrote:

[...]

He also wasnt really fond of socialists like you either. Shrug.

I love your blathering about the term Fascist. It speaks volumes
about your ignorance and bias to consider me a Fascist, simply because
I dont share your antiwar views. Or your Socialist views for that
matter.
Given your posts to date..Id have to say you were one of the Useful
Idiots that Vlladimer spoke of.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

Ken Sterling

Ya know, Gunner, I'm beginning to think that "momma" threw away the
baby and raised the afterbirth with this idiot..... maybe someone
ought to help him get over to Iraq where he could volunteer to be
dismembered (just to help him feel better about all the "injustices"
which have been done). You get him to your place, Gunner, and I'll
make the trip clear across the country just to volunteer to dig the
hole....
Ken.

On Tue, 4 May 2004 06:35:02 +0000 (UTC), "Norman Stuart"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"michael" wrote in message