Leon

"Faustino Dina" wrote in message
Hi guys,

I bought my first router, a Makita 3606, and my first bits, a stright and
"V" shaped one. I've never had touch a router before so the first I
realized
was the coupling of the router bit to the router was very tight for the
stright bit. I had not to force the bit to get into the router, but it had
no movement inside, without closing the nut. "Ok, this is not a drill, it
is
a high speed machine, everything should be exact match" -I though. But
when
tested the "V" shaped bit, it doesn't fit into the router. It's also a
1/4'', I checked, but it looks like only by thousandths it doesn't fit. I
returned back to the store and I was lucky, I could replace the bit. But
now
I afraid May be is it the makita router too narrow? Will I find the same
problem again and agai when buying bits? Is it any method for the router
bits the get "softened" (I mean using oil, polisher or something else)
such
a way to allow the bit get into the router?

In addition to the other advice, some collet nuts will be loose but still
not open enough to accept a bit. This is true on a lot of self extracting
collets. Try loosening the collet 2 or 3 more turns. You may find that the
nut gets tighter to turn "again" while loosening and then start turning
freely again.