Newshound

Default Dust collection on Grizzly 1023S

I have a Grizzly 1023S table saw with motor cover and OE blade insert. I
recently got the Grizzly 1029Z 2HP dust collector, the one with the .3
micron bag. I'm using a 10 ft. flex hose for now -moving it from tool to
tool. I does a great job on the jointer, planer, and band saw, but i'm a
little disappointed with the collection on the tablesaw. There is so much
sawdust thrown on top of the table and on me! I'm guessing this will get
worse with a zero clearance insert. There are probably plenty of folks out
there with this exact combo. Any tips on ways to improve collection, other
than an overhead guard?
Thanks.

TEF

Have similar combo as you (with a 2 HP Shop Fox DC vice Grizzly) and have
the same problem. However, I am not sure that any other brand of cabinet
saw could eliminate dust on the saw top especially when using a
zero-clearance insert. Specifically, the design of the others are very much
the same and just how might they better catch dust? While they might better
manage dust that accumulates in the cabinet base, it's not clear how they
could better handle dust created above the table top. Perhaps a Jet or
Delta owner could respond to verify this?

"Newshound" wrote in message
om...
I have a Grizzly 1023S table saw with motor cover and OE blade insert. I
recently got the Grizzly 1029Z 2HP dust collector, the one with the .3
micron bag. I'm using a 10 ft. flex hose for now -moving it from tool to
tool. I does a great job on the jointer, planer, and band saw, but i'm a
little disappointed with the collection on the tablesaw. There is so much
sawdust thrown on top of the table and on me! I'm guessing this will get
worse with a zero clearance insert. There are probably plenty of folks

out
there with this exact combo. Any tips on ways to improve collection,

other
than an overhead guard?
Thanks.

Pat Barber

I have the Biesemeyer overhead guard with dust collection.

With a HUGE Craftsman shop vac screaming at the top of it's
lungs, it does in fact "help" whith the dust being thrown
back in your face. It does NOT get it all, and I can't seem
to find anybody who can say it will.

I to the point of believing that you are gonna get some
dust on you if you run a table saw. I now wear a mask almost
every time the saw comes on...

The overhead guard is far better than none at all...

TEF wrote:

Have similar combo as you (with a 2 HP Shop Fox DC vice Grizzly) and have
the same problem. However, I am not sure that any other brand of cabinet
saw could eliminate dust on the saw top especially when using a
zero-clearance insert. Specifically, the design of the others are very much
the same and just how might they better catch dust? While they might better
manage dust that accumulates in the cabinet base, it's not clear how they
could better handle dust created above the table top. Perhaps a Jet or
Delta owner could respond to verify this?

"Newshound" wrote in message
om...

I have a Grizzly 1023S table saw with motor cover and OE blade insert. I
recently got the Grizzly 1029Z 2HP dust collector, the one with the .3
micron bag. I'm using a 10 ft. flex hose for now -moving it from tool to
tool. I does a great job on the jointer, planer, and band saw, but i'm a
little disappointed with the collection on the tablesaw. There is so much
sawdust thrown on top of the table and on me! I'm guessing this will get
worse with a zero clearance insert. There are probably plenty of folks

out

there with this exact combo. Any tips on ways to improve collection,

other

than an overhead guard?
Thanks.

patrick conroy

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 03:11:22 GMT, "Newshound"
wrote:

Any tips on ways to improve collection,

Ahhh - yes!

other than an overhead guard?

Oh.
No...

Bob

"Newshound" wrote in message
om...

little disappointed with the collection on the tablesaw. There is so much
sawdust thrown on top of the table and on me! I'm guessing this will get
worse with a zero clearance insert.

You guessed right. It will get worse - much worse.

There are probably plenty of folks out
there with this exact combo. Any tips on ways to improve collection,

other
than an overhead guard?

I've resolved the problem to my satisfaction, but you have to really hate
sawdust to like my set up. I've been studying the topic and prototyping for
months. My dust collection is so good now that I don't even use the
overhead air filter in my shop. I live in Houston with some warm humid
weather. That combination with sawdust all over me made woodworking
intolerable. I hated it.

I'll be glad to post some pics, if anyone is interested. I'm sure a lot of
folks will throw rocks, but its an individual value thing.

Bob

Bob

"Leonard Lopez" wrote in message
I, for one, would like to see the results of your trials and
tribulations. Dust collection is an important health issue that need to
be resolved for woodworkers.

I will post some pictures and explanation tomorrow. I'll announce the
availability here.

Best regards,
Bob

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:00:36 -0400, "Brikp"
wrote:

I have the exact same setup and was wondering the same thing. Let us know if
you find a good solution.

"Newshound" wrote in message
. com...
I have a Grizzly 1023S table saw with motor cover and OE blade insert. I
recently got the Grizzly 1029Z 2HP dust collector, the one with the .3
micron bag. I'm using a 10 ft. flex hose for now -moving it from tool to
tool. I does a great job on the jointer, planer, and band saw, but i'm a
little disappointed with the collection on the tablesaw. There is so much
sawdust thrown on top of the table and on me! I'm guessing this will get
worse with a zero clearance insert. There are probably plenty of folks
out
there with this exact combo. Any tips on ways to improve collection,
other
than an overhead guard?
Thanks.

try a slower feed rate.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:36:57 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

"Newshound" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

of course. that's what we're here for, right?

bring 'em on...

Mark Jerde

Bob wrote:

I'll be glad to post some pics, if anyone is interested.

I'm interested. ;-)

-- Mark

Bob G.

wrote:

I have a Grizzly 1023S table saw with motor cover and OE blade insert. I
recently got the Grizzly 1029Z 2HP dust collector, the one with the .3
micron bag. I'm using a 10 ft. flex hose for now -moving it from tool to
tool. I does a great job on the jointer, planer, and band saw, but i'm a
little disappointed with the collection on the tablesaw. There is so much
sawdust thrown on top of the table and on me! I'm guessing this will get
worse with a zero clearance insert. There are probably plenty of folks out
there with this exact combo. Any tips on ways to improve collection, other
than an overhead guard?
Thanks.

==================

Try experimenting with different blade hights..and feed rates...

The lower the blade the less dust flys right at you... the slower the
feed rate the less flys at you...

After playing around in my shop I have settled on a high blade and a
comfortable feed rate and the HELL with the sawqdust..

Bob Griffiths
I do use an overhead guard with dust collection capabilities

..

Greg G.

Bob G. said:

Try experimenting with different blade hights..and feed rates...

The lower the blade the less dust flys right at you... the slower the
feed rate the less flys at you...

After playing around in my shop I have settled on a high blade and a
comfortable feed rate and the HELL with the sawqdust..

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if your fence is not
perfectly parallel to the blade, or *very* slightly toed out .010" or
so, the rear of the blade will send far more shavings at you than if
adjusted properly.

FWIW,

Greg G.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:08:02 -0400, Greg G. wrote:

Bob G. said:

Try experimenting with different blade hights..and feed rates...

The lower the blade the less dust flys right at you... the slower the
feed rate the less flys at you...

After playing around in my shop I have settled on a high blade and a
comfortable feed rate and the HELL with the sawqdust..

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if your fence is not
perfectly parallel to the blade, or *very* slightly toed out .010" or
so, the rear of the blade will send far more shavings at you than if
adjusted properly.

FWIW,

Greg G.

and if you're not careful it'll send more than shavings...
Bob

I just posted in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Bob

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
Bob wrote:

I'll be glad to post some pics, if anyone is interested.

I'm interested. ;-)

-- Mark

Bob

"Leonard Lopez" wrote in message
I, for one, would like to see the results of your trials and
tribulations. Dust collection is an important health issue that need to
be resolved for woodworkers.

posted in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

Bob Davis
Houston, Texas