jtpr

Default Shipping and handling at HF... bit excessive.

My letter to customer service:
Just so you know...

I was about to order the digital caliper for $15.99 even though the shipping
was $3.95. I ended up canceling because on the last page you put in a $5.95
"handling" charge. Bit deceptive to wait until the order is almost done,
don't you think. Not to mention the "bait and switch" technique of
advertising a lowball price just to jam somebody for $10 in "shipping and
handling".

You lost a customer on this one. I won't be back.

-Jim

Anybody else order from them and feel this way or am I just over reacting?

-Jim
©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its -- ryan at jimryan dot com
Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

James D. Farrow

Here's another story:

I ordered a Jet 1014 Mini Wood Lathe with Tools-Plus, CT for $209.00 which I
thought was a good price. In the shipping I asked for a quote (to Ontario,
Canada) before actually buying it. They e-mailed me back stating that it
would cost $242.88 (brokerage included) for UPS shipping costs (for 80
lbs). And duty and taxes would be payable at the door. That's more than the
cost of the lathe.

UPS costs are definately excessive!!!!!

Anyway, cancelled the order. Now I need to find another one.
hopefully in Canada

James

"jtpr" wrote in message
My letter to customer service:
Just so you know...

I was about to order the digital caliper for $15.99 even though the

shipping
was $3.95. I ended up canceling because on the last page you put in a

$5.95
"handling" charge. Bit deceptive to wait until the order is almost done,
don't you think. Not to mention the "bait and switch" technique of
advertising a lowball price just to jam somebody for $10 in "shipping and
handling".

You lost a customer on this one. I won't be back.

-Jim

Anybody else order from them and feel this way or am I just over reacting?

-Jim
©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its -- ryan at jimryan dot com
Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

patrick conroy

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:54:59 -0400, "jtpr" wrote:

I was about to order the digital caliper for $15.99 even though the shipping
was $3.95. I ended up canceling because on the last page you put in a $5.95

Yeah... Ditto, sort'a. I like that caliper - even with the added fees
it ended up being cheaper than what I could find it elsewhere. So I
bought it and use it, and like it.

HF may be in the "worst" offender list, but they're not alone. I had a
$10 gift cert from Griz. I thought about buying some galoo - but
they've got a six or seven dollar minimum S&H charge too.

Sounds like there's no HF retail store near you. They'll match the
'net and catalog prices in store, you just have to bring in the ad.

Hmmm - wonder if there's a biz opportunity here. I'll run down and buy
it for $15.99 + tax, and resell it for $15.99 + tax + real shipping +
$1.

Tim Douglass

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:54:59 -0400, "jtpr" wrote:

Anybody else order from them and feel this way or am I just over reacting?

I always wait until I have enough stuff I want to get the free
shipping, then you only pay the 5.95 handling charge. I could drive
across town and browse the store, but they never have the giz I'm
looking for on the shelf.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
AAvK

to customer service:
Just so you know...
I was about to order the digital caliper for $15.99 even though the shipping
was $3.95. I ended up canceling because on the last page you put in a $5.95
"handling" charge. Bit deceptive to wait until the order is almost done,
don't you think. Not to mention the "bait and switch" technique of
advertising a lowball price just to jam somebody for $10 in "shipping and
handling".
You lost a customer on this one. I won't be back.
-Jim
Anybody else order from them and feel this way or am I just over reacting?

On the one and only order I have ever done with HF I ran into that, I thought it was rediculous
but i did it anyway. I bought ten 1/2" pipe clamp fixtures for $2.99 each but even with that
charge it's still a huge savings compared to buying jorgensens. You could consider that ideal
on other kinds of purchases and not about the small stuff. The clamps work really well. You'll
always pay around $20 for the same on eBay:
But, the cheapest way is to go into an HF store.

Alex

Greg O

Free freight for orders over $50!
Just buy more!!
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"jtpr" wrote in message

Bit deceptive to wait until the order is almost done,
don't you think. Not to mention the "bait and switch" technique of
advertising a lowball price just to jam somebody for $10 in "shipping and
handling".

Anybody else order from them and feel this way or am I just over reacting?

-Jim
©¿©¬

I don't readily see it on the web page, but their magazine ads plainly state
a haadling charge for the order. If you go to the FAQ page, there is a
button for the shipping terms and conditions.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/cs.taf IMO, it should be on the front
page.

While it does **** you off, they really do have to make a charge to handle a
$3 order. The amount of paperwork processing, packing labor, packing
materils, etc. do add up.

Last Monday I wanted a knob for a fixture I was making. I could have
ordered it for 99¢ and paid shipping and handling charges. Did I save
anything since I chose to drive 80 miles round trip to go get it? I later
saw a smilar knob at a local hardware store and they wanted $4 for it. Talk
about markups! That still would have been cheaper than my 80 mile jaunt.
Muchcheaper because since I was out, I ended up going another 20 miles and
buying a $200 drill.

Silvan

jtpr wrote:

Anybody else order from them and feel this way or am I just over reacting?

No, I don't think so. I completed the order, got shafted on the absolutely
exhorbitant shipping, and then it took like three weeks for the damn thing
to get here on top of all that.

Ordering from Lee Valley is much more enjoyable.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
jtpr

Right. It's not so much the money. A similar thing at LV is about $32.
It's the principal of the thing, the deception. I never realized HF had
retail stores, I'll look around and see if there are any in MA or NH near
me.

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

"Silvan" wrote in message
jtpr wrote:

Anybody else order from them and feel this way or am I just over

reacting?

No, I don't think so. I completed the order, got shafted on the

absolutely
exhorbitant shipping, and then it took like three weeks for the damn thing
to get here on top of all that.

Ordering from Lee Valley is much more enjoyable.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:35:18 -0400, "jtpr" calmly
ranted:

Right. It's not so much the money. A similar thing at LV is about $32.
It's the principal of the thing, the deception. I never realized HF had
retail stores, I'll look around and see if there are any in MA or NH near
me.

No to both states. Are you not worthy? NY, PA, and MD look the
closest (to Berlin?). It would cost a lot more than the $5.95 handling
cost to get there, as far as I know.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf

Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com
It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

AAvK

http://www.tegstools.com/flyer.php Page 6 of the King woodworking
flyer has more or less the same lathe (10x16"), including chisels, for
C$299 or about US$239. A little more, but a little bigger and you get
8 chisels. Tegs is in Hamilton, but any local King dealer should
honour this price.

Now that's some seriously colorful porn!
Alex