Todd L

Default why sellers love ebay

I sell myself, but check this out:

This is not my listing, but now check this out:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0505

Brand new delivered to your door for $223
As a seller you gotta love it when people get caught up in bidding and they
pay more than retail.

Todd L

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº4

"Todd L" wrote in message
I sell myself, but check this out:

This is not my listing, but now check this out:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0505

Brand new delivered to your door for $223
As a seller you gotta love it when people get caught up in bidding and

they
pay more than retail.

Todd L

$38 shipping

--
© Jon Down ®
My eBay items currently listed:

Todd L

Duh, look at Grizzly, the $223 includes shipping !!!!!!!

Todd L

"P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº4" wrote in message

"Todd L" wrote in message
I sell myself, but check this out:

This is not my listing, but now check this out:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0505

Brand new delivered to your door for $223
As a seller you gotta love it when people get caught up in bidding and

they
pay more than retail.

Todd L

$38 shipping

--
© Jon Down ®
My eBay items currently listed:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...id=lamblie s&
include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Greg

I am building a pool and my neighbors think I am simply having it delivered
fedx/ups. I bought lots of stuff on Ebay but I agree, if you aren't careful you
will pay a lot more than retail.
It is always best to see what a new one costs before you start to bid.

BTW my only screwing on Ebay, from over 100 transactions, came from this pool
thing.
A guy advertised a 30' corded underwater light and the cord was TWO 15' pieces
in the box. I almost got enough of a laugh about it to get over it. If he dad
been willing to tell me a story I would have just written it off as some bad
luck bargain shopping but he refused to answer my Email and then said I must
have cut the cord in his feedback.

mttt

"Todd L" wrote in message

As a seller you gotta love it when people get caught up in bidding and

they
pay more than retail.

I'll paraphrase HL: No one ever went broke underestimating the
*intelligence*...

xrongor

"J T" wrote in message
Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 11:02am (EDT-3)
(Todd L) snip
As a seller you gotta love it when people get caught up in bidding and
they pay more than retail.

People refuse to remember, you need to do your homework.

I have had 7 volumes of an 8 volume set, for years. Mechanical
stuff, not woodworking. Picked them up for about $2-3 each. Been
looking for years for the missing volume. Lately checking eBay. Yep.
Usually $5 starting bid, or higher, plus the shipping, which most
sellers seem to think is worth at least $5. A bit more than I wanted to
pay. I need to watch pennies at times. Checked some book sellers too.
Hmmm, they're usually wanting about $45 per volume. So, kept checking
eBay. Found a seller with 7 of the 8 volumes, including the one I
wanted. Hah. I was high bidder, cost me $11 something, plus just under
$5, shipping. Heh heh. Now I can sell the 6 extras on eBay, and charge
real shipping costs.

its just funny to me. the way people get so nutty over what they perceive
to be too high of shipping costs.

ive said it before ill say it again:

1) ebay doesnt take a cut of the shipping costs. its better for the seller
to charge higher shipping.
2) price of item + price of shipping = total price. you pay the total
price regardless of which part was shipping and which part was the item.
3) there is indeed a logical, viable reason to charge for handling. i dont
see people complaining about ronco stuff for charging too much for shipping,
or any other 'as seen on tv' stuff.. just ebay.

you're complaining that you paid 5 bucks shipping. exactly how much do you
feel you overpaid. a dollar? you're taking moral high ground for offering
to use real shipping costs because of a dollar?

so anyway. im done. in the end, i guess people just love to critique ebay
and its sellers.

randy

Joe Wells

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:02:26 -0700, Todd L wrote:

snip 'Bay mania

I've been stalking planes on eBay for about a week now. Found what looked
like a nice #8 and planned to bid when the time was right.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6100572832&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Looks like a couple of newbies decided to play ping-pong with their bids.
For comparison, I offer this snipped from Patrick Leach's latest tool
list:

ST3 #8 jointer; a type 6 model from the late 1880's, with
all original parts, including the '92 patent iron, which is full
length; 98% japanning, as found, with no damage other than the
tiniest chip at the extreme end of the tote, it has a uniform brown
patina to the machined surfaces; will clean to be far nicer than
usual examples, this is a workhorse from the classic era of Stanley
tools; a perfect worker for those who like them old. $165.00

Patrick's planes typically sell for more than the prices you see on eBay,
but then you know exactly what you're getting. My jaw dropped as I saw the
bids rise, then rise, then rise some more...

--
Joe Wells

Tom Kohlman

Ebay...keep a source like Amazon (ToolCrib I guess) live while searching.
My experience is that you may get a great deal from time to time on EBay but
a lot of times the shipping charges will kill you.

If the deal is too good, it may look like a "newbie" but in fact is usually
a "shill" waiting in the background to make you pay a lot more as you get
into the "frenzy". If you are smart the item goes to the shill and the
seller only pays that small listing charge. While shills are a violation of
EBay rules, let's get real...absolutely no way to prove it. You'll know
when the same item shows up again a few weeks later.

If the deal is really too great to be true and the seller is afraid of the
"shill rule", they can simply cancel the auction. That is my biggest
gripe...buyers are bound but sellers aren't.

news

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...spagename= ST
[...]

Greg

If the deal is too good, it may look like a "newbie" but in fact is usually
a "shill" waiting in the background to make you pay a lot more as you get
into the "frenzy". If you are smart the item goes to the shill and the
seller only pays that small listing charge

Ebay has even made it easier than that. They have a "second chance" deal where
the seller can go to the "loser" with a chance to buy it for his last bid if
the original deal falls through. That makes the "shill" idea virtually
guaranteed.
I usually watch items that seem to recur (usually a dealer), bid a small number
and wait until everyone who wants one has got one. Sometimes a day after
something went for over $100, I can snag another one for $20 or less. That is
particularly true of high volume PC parts where they list lots of identical
items.
Joe Wells

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 03:19:35 +0000, Tom Kohlman wrote:

Ebay...keep a source like Amazon (ToolCrib I guess) live while searching.
My experience is that you may get a great deal from time to time on EBay
but a lot of times the shipping charges will kill you.

If the deal is too good, it may look like a "newbie" but in fact is
usually a "shill" waiting in the background to make you pay a lot more as
you get into the "frenzy". If you are smart the item goes to the shill
and the seller only pays that small listing charge. While shills are a
violation of EBay rules, let's get real...absolutely no way to prove it.
You'll know when the same item shows up again a few weeks later.

Yeah, hadn't considered that. Once the bidding was past what I was willing
to pay, I just sat back and watched. When it comes to eBay, I bid once,
within the last minute, the max that I'm willing to pay. Then I walk away.

--
Joe Wells

J T

Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 5:09pm (EDT-2) (xrongor) puts
out:
its just funny to me. the way people get so nutty over what they
perceive to be too high of shipping costs.

I consider "too high of shipping costs", when the seller is
obviously overcharging on shipping charges. $5 to ship a book that
actually costs just over $1 in postage is overcharging is my book. I
have no problem with a minor difference between the quoted shipping and
actual postage.

ive said it before ill say it again:
1) ebay doesnt take a cut of the shipping costs.

Yes, everyone knows that.

its better for the seller to charge higher shipping.

That's your opinion.

2) price of item + price of shipping = total price. you pay the total
price regardless of which part was shipping and which part was the item.

No kidding? I didn't know that. Gee, thanks for letting me know.

3) there is indeed a logical, viable reason to charge for handling.

Gee, you mean I should have said
"shipping AND handling", instead of just "shipping"?

i dont see people complaining about ronco stuff for charging too much
for shipping, or any other 'as seen on tv' stuff.. just ebay.

Why should I complain about Ronco? I don't buy from them. Too
expensive. Besides, the thread is about eBay, not Ronco.

you're complaining that you paid 5 bucks shipping.

No. I got an excellent shipping (and handling) rate, I was charged
media rate. I had actually expected it to be a bit more. You need to
read what I said.

exactly how much do you feel you overpaid. a dollar?

See above.

you're taking moral high ground for offering to use real shipping costs
because of a dollar? so anyway. im done. in the end, i guess people
just love to critique ebay and its sellers.

And some love to critique eBay buyers.

If you read my original post, therein I say, "plus the shipping,
which most sellers seem to think is worth at least $5. A bit more than
I wanted to pay."

For future reference, media rate is considerable LESS then $5 a
book, unless it's a Helluva big book. $5+ for a book, plus $5 for
shipping it, comes to more than I cared to pay. That is, it would have
made it cost more than it was worth to me.

I've seen a lot of crap on eBay, low selling price, and way high
shipping. I've bought stuff mail order, maybe $5 shipping, and seen the
same stuff on eBay, up to $40 shipping.

Anything I sell, or not sell, on eBay, I will ask actual shipping
costs. That's the cost of postage (or UPS fee, whatever), plus any
other incurred expenses (boxes, wrapping paper, etc., bought). If I
have an box on hand, or a paper bag I can use, that's not charged. I go
to the post office every day anyway, so gas isn't included. I belive
that a reputable seller should not expect to make a profit of shipping
(and handling) charges. If I underestimate postage a bit, I swallow the
extra. If I overestimate a bit, it's not because I did it
intentionally, and I try not to next time. I try to give a buyer a fair
value for their money, and to not try to make a profit from overcharging
on shipping. I feel better about myself as a person. I believe in
trying to abide by so-called "Christian values" (even tho a lot of
Christians don't, and I don't consider myself a Christian), it's called
trying to be a good person. That's my "moral high ground".

JOAT
You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're
showing escape routes out of the city.

Tim Douglass

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 03:19:35 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"
wrote:

Ebay...keep a source like Amazon (ToolCrib I guess) live while searching.
My experience is that you may get a great deal from time to time on EBay but
a lot of times the shipping charges will kill you.

I never bid if they don't disclose the shipping charges - I've been
burned on that before with $10 shipping on something that came via
first class mail for under a dollar. I always factor the total cost
including shipping (make sure you compare apples and apples by
including appropriate shipping charges from Amazon or whoever).

I tend to buy used books, often somewhat hard to find ones that can
run up the cost pretty fast. Most of the good book bargains are in
large lots. Better source for particular books is ABE. (although often
*much* more expensive than ebay. When bidding on a book last printed
in 1915 a reasonable bid is whatever it is worth to you, since you
probably can't find it anywhere else at any price.

If the deal is too good, it may look like a "newbie" but in fact is usually
a "shill" waiting in the background to make you pay a lot more as you get
into the "frenzy". If you are smart the item goes to the shill and the
seller only pays that small listing charge. While shills are a violation of
EBay rules, let's get real...absolutely no way to prove it. You'll know
when the same item shows up again a few weeks later.

If the deal is really too great to be true and the seller is afraid of the
"shill rule", they can simply cancel the auction. That is my biggest
gripe...buyers are bound but sellers aren't.

I've been on ebay for quite a few years and my impression is that
there may be some shill bidding, but for the most part it is pretty
legit. Your mileage and impressions may vary.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
J. Clarke

J T wrote:

Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 5:09pm (EDT-2) (xrongor) puts
out:
its just funny to me. the way people get so nutty over what they
perceive to be too high of shipping costs.

I consider "too high of shipping costs", when the seller is
obviously overcharging on shipping charges. $5 to ship a book that
actually costs just over $1 in postage

Plus the box plus the tape plus the padding plus the labor to wrap it up,
put it in the box, tape it up, and write out the label.

[...]

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J T

Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 11:16am lid (J.=A0Clarke) says:
Plus the box plus the tape plus the padding plus the labor to wrap it
up, put it in the box, tape it up, and write out the label.

Oh, yes, I fogot to consider the used cereal box, the nickel's
worth of tape, the old newspaper page used for padding, plus all the
time, effort, and knowledge, to wrap it, etc. And, then there's the
skilled labor of writing out the label. Maybe that excuses the extra
$3.75, in your world, but not mine. I have to like myself as a person,
so it my world, that would come to may, I say again maybe, $.25-$.50,
depending on how much of it I had to buy out of pocket.

If you had actually read the post, instead of just copying all of
it, you might have caught that I don't mind paying for what I get. I
don't care to over pay. I don't care to over charge. I feel better
about myself as a person. But, if you're happy over paying, I have no
problem with that. And, f you're happy with over charging, if it
doesn't catch up with you in this life, it will in another.

But, I figure you already knew all that, and you're just trolling.
Right?

I've sold a couple of tools, but, I prefer to give the folks here
fist shot. So, my practice is to post here, ask a fair price, and first
come, first served. I use boxes I'd toss otherwise, same with
newspaper padding. Tape, I keep on hand for my own use, so no extra
charge there. I find the postage, and don't charge extra on that. So,
I get a few $ on a tool I don't need, and someone else geta a good deal
on a tool they want, without paying inflated shipping. We're both
happy. That's the way I prefer to do it, and, may even do that with
some woodworking books I'll be getting rid of sometime in the future.
You won't need to respond tho.

JOAT
You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're
showing escape routes out of the city.

J. Clarke

J T wrote:

Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 11:16am lid (J.*Clarke) says:
Plus the box plus the tape plus the padding plus the labor to wrap it
up, put it in the box, tape it up, and write out the label.

Oh, yes, I fogot to consider the used cereal box,

I wasn't aware that UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service would take anything
packed in "a used cereal box". Further, I've never received anything
purchased off of ebay that arrived in "a used cereal box". What I've
gotten has almost always been very well packed.

the nickel's
worth of tape, the old newspaper page used for padding, plus all the
time, effort, and knowledge, to wrap it, etc. And, then there's the
skilled labor of writing out the label. Maybe that excuses the extra
$3.75, in your world, but not mine. I have to like myself as a person,
so it my world, that would come to may, I say again maybe, $.25-$.50,
depending on how much of it I had to buy out of pocket.

How much does your time bill out? Not your take-home but the whole package
through G&A and fee? How long does it take you to put something in a box
and write a label? How much does that work out to in dollars?

If you had actually read the post, instead of just copying all of
it, you might have caught that I don't mind paying for what I get. I
don't care to over pay. I don't care to over charge. I feel better
about myself as a person. But, if you're happy over paying, I have no
problem with that. And, f you're happy with over charging, if it
doesn't catch up with you in this life, it will in another.

But, I figure you already knew all that, and you're just trolling.
Right?

Nope, stating a reality of business. It costs a little bit to put something
in a box and ship it over and above what the carrier charges. For someone
doing small volume that cost may be higher than you would expect.

I've sold a couple of tools, but, I prefer to give the folks here
fist shot. So, my practice is to post here, ask a fair price, and first
come, first served. I use boxes I'd toss otherwise, same with
newspaper padding. Tape, I keep on hand for my own use, so no extra
charge there. I find the postage, and don't charge extra on that. So,
I get a few $ on a tool I don't need, and someone else geta a good deal
on a tool they want, without paying inflated shipping. We're both
happy. That's the way I prefer to do it, and, may even do that with
some woodworking books I'll be getting rid of sometime in the future.
You won't need to respond tho.

If you're just trying to unload some stuff you don't need, then that's a
fine way to go about it. If you're using ebay sales to put food on the
table it's a different story. And if you're paying employees to pack and
ship the stuff then it's a _very_ different story.

JOAT
You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're
showing escape routes out of the city.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Ron Bean

Plus the box plus the tape plus the padding plus the labor to wrap it up,
put it in the box, tape it up, and write out the label.

On two occasions I've paid what I thought were outrageous
shipping charges, because the total cost wasn't too far out of
line. In both cases, the items arrived *very* well packed, using
those expanding-foam bags (which aren't cheap).

This is a bit of a gamble, though, because some sellers know how
to pack stuff and some don't. On the whole I've done OK by
avoiding sellers who are obviously clueless.

J T

Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 2:28pm lid (J.=A0Clarke) burbled:
I wasn't aware that UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service would take
anything packed in "a used cereal box". Further, I've never received
anything purchased off of ebay that arrived in "a used cereal box".
There, you've learned something new today.

What I've gotten has almost always been very well packed.

I never said anything I've gotten wasn't well packed. Don't know
where you got that idea. Cereal box, tape, newspaper packing, no prob.

How much does your time bill out? Not your take-home but the whole
package through G&A and fee? How long does it take you to put something
in a box and write a label? How much does that work out to in dollars?

Well, let me see now. Hmm, if you consider that I'm on full
disability, I guess it doesn't really matter how long it would take me
to put something in a box and write a label. So I guess, depending on
how you'd look at it, in dollars, that would be zip. Doesn't matter, I
wouldn't tell you anyway.

Nope, stating a reality of business. It costs a little bit to put
something in a box and ship it over and above what the carrier charges.
For someone doing small volume that cost may be higher than you would
expect.

And, it's eBay, not a store. See what Tim Douglass said, about $10
shipping, for something that cost less than a dollar to send. It ain't
that high.

If you're just trying to unload some stuff you don't need, then that's a
fine way to go about it.

It can be.

If you're using ebay sales to put food on the table it's a different
story.

Than you want happy customers. Which means a reasonable shipping
cost.

And if you're paying employees to pack and ship the stuff then it's a
_very_ different story.

And part of that story is, I ain't paying some drone's hourly wage
in one lump sum, just to have something shipped to me.

You must be one of the too tight people, or just don't get it.

JOAT
I think, therefore I am. I think.

J. Clarke

J T wrote:

Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 2:28pm lid (J.*Clarke) burbled:
I wasn't aware that UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service would take
anything packed in "a used cereal box". Further, I've never received
anything purchased off of ebay that arrived in "a used cereal box".
There, you've learned something new today.

What I've gotten has almost always been very well packed.

I never said anything I've gotten wasn't well packed. Don't know
where you got that idea. Cereal box, tape, newspaper packing, no prob.

If you call that "well packed" then remind me not to buy anything even
slightly fragile from you.

How much does your time bill out? Not your take-home but the whole
package through G&A and fee? How long does it take you to put something
in a box and write a label? How much does that work out to in dollars?

Well, let me see now. Hmm, if you consider that I'm on full
disability, I guess it doesn't really matter how long it would take me
to put something in a box and write a label. So I guess, depending on
how you'd look at it, in dollars, that would be zip. Doesn't matter, I
wouldn't tell you anyway.

I see. So you're basically unemployed and your time is in your opinion of
no value. That's fine, but don't find fault with others whose time is
actually worth something.

Nope, stating a reality of business. It costs a little bit to put
something in a box and ship it over and above what the carrier charges.
For someone doing small volume that cost may be higher than you would
expect.

And, it's eBay, not a store. See what Tim Douglass said, about $10
shipping, for something that cost less than a dollar to send. It ain't
that high.

And of course you've audited the particular operation that was doing the
packaging and so you're absolutely certain you know their costs.

What leads you to believe that it's not a store just because it uses ebay as
a marketing tool? IBM sells on ebay. I guess IBM isn't a "store".

If you're just trying to unload some stuff you don't need, then that's a
fine way to go about it.

It can be.

If you're using ebay sales to put food on the table it's a different
story.

Than you want happy customers. Which means a reasonable shipping
cost.

All the happy customers in the world don't put food on the table if you lose
money on each sale.

And if you're paying employees to pack and ship the stuff then it's a
_very_ different story.

And part of that story is, I ain't paying some drone's hourly wage
in one lump sum, just to have something shipped to me.

Then don't. Nobody's forcing you to bid on any particular auction.

You must be one of the too tight people, or just don't get it.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to "get". If you think the shipping cost is
too high then don't bid the auction. As for being "too tight", I'm not the
one who is whining about how someone charges too much. Or perhaps you
meant "tight" in some sense other than "tightwad"?

JOAT
I think, therefore I am. I think.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Henry E Schaffer

In article ,
J T wrote:
Well, actually I figure the max I'm willing to spend, which would
be the max I'd be willing to bid, combined with the shipping cost. Of
course, it'd have to be for something I actually wanted, but, basically,
you've got it. LOL

So what's the argument about?

This has been quite entertaining. By the way, a couple of hours
ago, I bid on a book I want, started at $10, with shipping cost, by
priority mail, $2.50. Both of which I think are completely reasonable.

It's nice when *both* are reasonable - but it's really only the total
(sales price + shipping) that is important (which is what you said above.)

So what's the argument about?

--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu

Dennis W. Ewing Sr.

I sell quite a bit on ebay. I add anywhere from 1.15 up for packaging and
handling. I usually use a new box, bubble wrap or peanuts. depending on the
item I can use 3-4 dollars worth of packing material to make sure it gets
there in one piece. I price shipping accordingly. If an item will go in a
USPS priority mail envelope I charge 15 cents for carrying it to the Post
Office. I use ebay for extra cash, but I have to pay for packing material if
you want it in one piece. If you don't care what it looks like when you get
it you don't want to buy from me.

--
Dennis W. Ewing Sr
210/653-1276

delete an r to reply
J T wrote:
Well, actually I figure the max I'm willing to spend, which would
be the max I'd be willing to bid, combined with the shipping cost. Of
course, it'd have to be for something I actually wanted, but, basically,
you've got it. LOL

So what's the argument about?

This has been quite entertaining. By the way, a couple of hours
ago, I bid on a book I want, started at $10, with shipping cost, by
priority mail, $2.50. Both of which I think are completely reasonable.

It's nice when *both* are reasonable - but it's really only the total
(sales price + shipping) that is important (which is what you said above.)

J. Clarke

Dennis W. Ewing Sr. wrote:

I sell quite a bit on ebay. I add anywhere from 1.15 up for packaging and
handling. I usually use a new box, bubble wrap or peanuts. depending on
the item I can use 3-4 dollars worth of packing material to make sure it
gets there in one piece. I price shipping accordingly. If an item will go
in a USPS priority mail envelope I charge 15 cents for carrying it to the
Post Office. I use ebay for extra cash, but I have to pay for packing
material if you want it in one piece. If you don't care what it looks like
when you get it you don't want to buy from me.

When I was trying to explain packing costs to the guy I completely forgot
driving it down to UPS or FedEx, which these days can easily be 3-4 bucks
worth of gas, not to mention amortized maintenance, tire wear, etc.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J T

Tue, Jun 15, 2004, 6:46am lid (J.=A0Clarke) claims:
When I was trying to explain packing costs to the guy I completely
forgot driving it down to UPS or FedEx, which these days can easily be
3-4 bucks worth of gas, not to mention amortized maintenance, tire wear,
etc.

Interesting statement. Interesting too, you would assume I'm
unaware of all that, even with you "explaining" to me.

One thing I make, wood, finish, hardware, etc., materials cost is
about $5.65. I say about, because it's a bit hard to come up with down
to the penny figures based on the exact amount of finish used, and so
on.

Packaging, new box, packing material, label, tape, etc., figures
out to about $4. Not the exact penny, because I don't measure each
length of tape. Then the shipper's cost averages $11.85, which makes a
toal shipping (or whatever you want to call it), cost of $15.85. If
it's within about 200 miles, I make about a 15 cent "profit" on the
shipping. But, once it goes further than about two thirds of the way
across the country, I "lose" a quarter or so. It averages out.

I don't put food on the table by this, it's a small sideline, so I
add the $5.65 materials cost to the $15.85, then I figure in the
"profit" I want, and that is the total. Yeah, yeah, the "profit" is the
hourly figure I want to make, times the actual time working. It goes in
my pocket, so I'll call it profit if I want to.

I'd be using the shop for something anyway, so I don't figure in
overhead - depreciation of the tools, electricity, and so on. I go to
town every day anyway, so I don't figure in mileage, wear and tear on
the truck, and so on.

Yeah, I already knew about all that stuff. Years back I went thru
the county library and probably read every book on starting and
operating a small business they had. Then I went on and got about every
bit of information the SBA had, and read them too.

So, yeah, I could charge $3-4 gas for shipping something. Well,
that's if my truck got a lot worse mileage than it actually does, and I
went to the next town over to ship the stuff out. But, I don't try to
squeeze every nickel out of a transaction I can. Even if I was making a
living off it, I'd still be going to town every day, so I doubt I'd add
more than a minimal fee for gas, depreciation, etc., but, even if I did,
I'd check the mileage to the tenth of a mile, and that'd be the charge,
period. Electric in the shop, depreciation of the tool, etc., you bet
I'd figure that in, but only as close to the minute as I could; it'd be
covered in the purchase price, including material cost. Shipping is
totally separate, and I might figure in the time taken to package
something, if so, I'd time it down to the minute, and not charge more.
I've also done a fair amount of time-study, work efficienty, etc., in my
working life. Sometimes it's just more fun, not being so efficient.

You realize, of course, all this would be for a fixed price item.
Sales on eBay, with bids, changes the rules. LOL

JOAT
Use your brain - it's the small things that count.
- Bazooka Joe

J. Clarke

J T wrote:

Tue, Jun 15, 2004, 6:46am lid (J.*Clarke) claims:
When I was trying to explain packing costs to the guy I completely
forgot driving it down to UPS or FedEx, which these days can easily be
3-4 bucks worth of gas, not to mention amortized maintenance, tire wear,
etc.

Interesting statement. Interesting too, you would assume I'm
unaware of all that, even with you "explaining" to me.

Well, since you seem to think that $5 is an "unreasonable" shipping and
handling fee . . .

[...]

So you charge $15.85 for shipping then bitch about some guy on ebay making
$5? Can you say "hypocrite"?

I'd be using the shop for something anyway, so I don't figure in
overhead - depreciation of the tools, electricity, and so on. I go to
town every day anyway, so I don't figure in mileage, wear and tear on
the truck, and so on.

If you were doing this as a business you'd have to recover those costs
somehow.

Yeah, I already knew about all that stuff. Years back I went thru
the county library and probably read every book on starting and
operating a small business they had. Then I went on and got about every
bit of information the SBA had, and read them too.

So, yeah, I could charge $3-4 gas for shipping something. Well,
that's if my truck got a lot worse mileage than it actually does, and I
went to the next town over to ship the stuff out.

Don't know where you live, but here it's about 15 miles to UPS or FedEx. Go
both ways it's 30 miles. That's 2 gallons of gas at over $2/gallon. If
you've got a truck that gets better mileage it's still over 2 dollars just
for the gas (darn few vehicles that anybody would describe as a "truck"
without falling down laughing get better than 30 MPG). And this is an area
where things are close together. If you're in rural Texas it's going to be
a lot more than that.

But, I don't try to
squeeze every nickel out of a transaction I can. Even if I was making a
living off it, I'd still be going to town every day, so I doubt I'd add
more than a minimal fee for gas, depreciation, etc., but, even if I did,
I'd check the mileage to the tenth of a mile,

So you'd have a standard charge for transportation? Or would you tell the
guy that he would have to wait until after you had shipped to find out how
much he has to pay so that you can charge him the _exact_ cost to a tenth
of a mile?

and that'd be the charge,
period. Electric in the shop, depreciation of the tool, etc., you bet
I'd figure that in, but only as close to the minute as I could; it'd be
covered in the purchase price, including material cost. Shipping is
totally separate, and I might figure in the time taken to package
something, if so, I'd time it down to the minute, and not charge more.
I've also done a fair amount of time-study, work efficienty, etc., in my
working life. Sometimes it's just more fun, not being so efficient.

I think that I perhaps see your problem. Did you work in an industry that
did high-volume mass production? If so then that kind of detailed
calculation is worthwhile--saving a penny a piece on a million units is
substantial money. Some very large companies that do small lots take a
different approach--there's a fixed percentage markup for overhead, varying
by general task classification (for example there'd be one markup for
engineering time, another for drafting, another for lab work, another for
molding composites, another for machining, and so on. Far simpler to
calculate than figuring out how many minutes of tool life you used up
cutting a board in half.

You realize, of course, all this would be for a fixed price item.
Sales on eBay, with bids, changes the rules. LOL

And since we were talking about ebay to begin with . . .

JOAT
Use your brain - it's the small things that count.
- Bazooka Joe

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J T

Wed, Jun 16, 2004, 6:04am lid (J.=A0Clarke) puts out:
Well, since you seem to think that $5 is an "unreasonable" shipping and
handling fee . . .

Missed it. Still. Yeah, sometimes $5 IS an unreasonable fee.
Sometimes not. Depends.

So you charge $15.85 for shipping then bitch about some guy on ebay
making $5? Can you say "hypocrite"?

"Making" $5? An interesting turn of phrase. I don't "make"
anything off of shipping. What it costs, that I charge. Yeah, if I
think I'm overcharged, I'd bitch. And, so would you.

Don't know where you live, but here it's about 15 miles to UPS or FedEx.
snip

About 2 miles outside a small farm town. Closest "big" towns about
10 miles further. FedEx drop off at the local post office door, two
other places in town take FedEx and UPS (that I know of), and UPS
recently put in an office about a mile out of town. I've heard
arrangements can be made for UPS at least, to pickup at your door -
haven't checked. I only get mail at the post office, but If I got it at
home, I'd imagine I could have the mail carrier pickup up from me.
Like I said, I go to town every day, anyway. You can always make a once
a week trip, lots of eBay sellers ship weekly.

My "so-called truck" is a '79 GMC 1/2 ton pickup, small V-8, around
20 MPG, better if I try. My kid driving, around 10. Gas here $1.859,
yesterday.

I think that I perhaps see your problem.

No, no you don't. I always get this. Someone reads a post or two,
or an e-mail or two of mine, and suddently they're an expert on me and
my life. They're always wrong.

Did you work in an industry that did high-volume mass production?
snip

No.

JOAT
Use your brain - it's the small things that count.
- Bazooka Joe

J. Clarke

J T wrote:

Wed, Jun 16, 2004, 6:04am lid (J.*Clarke) puts out:
Well, since you seem to think that $5 is an "unreasonable" shipping and
handling fee . . .

Missed it. Still. Yeah, sometimes $5 IS an unreasonable fee.
Sometimes not. Depends.

So you charge $15.85 for shipping then bitch about some guy on ebay
making $5? Can you say "hypocrite"?

"Making" $5? An interesting turn of phrase. I don't "make"
anything off of shipping.

Geez, talk about focussing on minutiae . . .

What it costs, that I charge. Yeah, if I
think I'm overcharged, I'd bitch. And, so would you.

No, if I think someone is charging an excessive price for something then I
just don't buy.

[...]

Well, whatever you were doing you learned to micromanage a lot of stuff that
doesn't need to be micromanaged.

JOAT
Use your brain - it's the small things that count.
- Bazooka Joe

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Greg

As long as the shipping is clearly explained in the ad, I don't see the issue
here. It is just part of the price you are willing to pay. Don't bid any more
than you think the total price the product is worth to you with shipping
included.

Furniture design vintage carpentry [email protected] UK diy 2 June 2nd 04 12:35 AM
WARNING - PHONEY EBAY E-MAIL T. Woodworking 19 January 3rd 04 07:35 PM
eBay Scam Marv Soloff Metalworking 5 December 31st 03 02:16 PM
Ebay Bogus No Reserve Listings Jon Elson Metalworking 15 October 10th 03 08:33 AM