Hagrinas Mivali

Default Light switch cover

I'm trying to find an indoor light switch cover that protects the
switch from accidental shut off. I've seen them before, but can't
find them in stores or on the web. I assume that's because I don't
know what they are called.

What I'm looking for has a curved part that covers the switch itself,
but you can stick your finger in on one side if you want to turn the
switch off. It's designed for those wall switches that people don't
normally want turned off, but do not want removed.

I made a rather crude drawing of what I'm looking for:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hagrinas/...witchcover.jpg

If anybody knows what they are called or where I can get them, I'd
appreciate it.
Chris Lewis

According to Hagrinas Mivali :

I made a rather crude drawing of what I'm looking for:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hagrinas/...witchcover.jpg

If anybody knows what they are called or where I can get them, I'd
appreciate it.

Ask at a real electrical supply outlet about safety locks
or guards for switches. With a description of what you're
trying to do, I'm sure they could help you.

In a pinch, I suspect you could get a heavy duty cable/conduit/plumbing
mounting bracket to simulate your drawing.

Basically, a metal U, with two holes in the end legs spaced
properly to fit over the cover plate mounting screws. You can
get them in PVC too.

Electrical suppliers will have those in with the electrical conduit.

Real cheap. A few bucks.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
SQLit

"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message
om...
I'm trying to find an indoor light switch cover that protects the
switch from accidental shut off. I've seen them before, but can't
find them in stores or on the web. I assume that's because I don't
know what they are called.

What I'm looking for has a curved part that covers the switch itself,
but you can stick your finger in on one side if you want to turn the
switch off. It's designed for those wall switches that people don't
normally want turned off, but do not want removed.

I made a rather crude drawing of what I'm looking for:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hagrinas/...witchcover.jpg

If anybody knows what they are called or where I can get them, I'd
appreciate it.

google found this
I typed in "security switch cover plate"

http://www.growinglifestyle.com/us/a...0/a385744.html

Travis Jordan

Hagrinas Mivali wrote:
I'm trying to find an indoor light switch cover that protects the
switch from accidental shut off. I've seen them before, but can't
find them in stores or on the web. I assume that's because I don't
know what they are called.

What I'm looking for has a curved part that covers the switch itself,
but you can stick your finger in on one side if you want to turn the
switch off. It's designed for those wall switches that people don't
normally want turned off, but do not want removed.

I made a rather crude drawing of what I'm looking for:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hagrinas/...witchcover.jpg

If anybody knows what they are called or where I can get them, I'd
appreciate it.

How about this product?
http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=610

Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Hagrinas Mivali wrote:
I'm trying to find an indoor light switch cover that protects the
switch from accidental shut off. I've seen them before, but can't
find them in stores or on the web. I assume that's because I don't
know what they are called.

What I'm looking for has a curved part that covers the switch itself,
but you can stick your finger in on one side if you want to turn the
switch off. It's designed for those wall switches that people don't
normally want turned off, but do not want removed.

I made a rather crude drawing of what I'm looking for:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hagrinas/...witchcover.jpg

If anybody knows what they are called or where I can get them, I'd
appreciate it.

How about this product?
http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=610

Or these:
http://www.qualityelev.com/main/pit/pitsw.htm

John Grabowski

If it is what I am thinking of, it is a Mulberry Switch Guard #40460. It
looks like a stainless steel pipe strap and mounts on an existing wall
plate. You'll probably have to get it from an electrical supply house.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message
om...
I'm trying to find an indoor light switch cover that protects the
switch from accidental shut off. I've seen them before, but can't
find them in stores or on the web. I assume that's because I don't
know what they are called.

What I'm looking for has a curved part that covers the switch itself,
but you can stick your finger in on one side if you want to turn the
switch off. It's designed for those wall switches that people don't
normally want turned off, but do not want removed.

I made a rather crude drawing of what I'm looking for:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hagrinas/...witchcover.jpg

If anybody knows what they are called or where I can get them, I'd
appreciate it.

Joseph Meehan

Hagrinas Mivali wrote:
I'm trying to find an indoor light switch cover that protects the
switch from accidental shut off. I've seen them before, but can't
find them in stores or on the web. I assume that's because I don't
know what they are called.

What I'm looking for has a curved part that covers the switch itself,
but you can stick your finger in on one side if you want to turn the
switch off. It's designed for those wall switches that people don't
normally want turned off, but do not want removed.

I made a rather crude drawing of what I'm looking for:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hagrinas/...witchcover.jpg

If anybody knows what they are called or where I can get them, I'd
appreciate it.

Try a real electrical supply house. You will not normally find them at
your local building supply.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Hagrinas Mivali

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
. net...
If it is what I am thinking of, it is a Mulberry Switch Guard #40460. It
looks like a stainless steel pipe strap and mounts on an existing wall
plate. You'll probably have to get it from an electrical supply house.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

Thanks. A search on "Switch guard" found a few items, and the closest one
was the Hemco switch guard.
http://www.ecom4mro.com/catalog/images/47/473032.JPG . The trick will be
finding one.

"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message
om...
I'm trying to find an indoor light switch cover that protects the
switch from accidental shut off. I've seen them before, but can't
find them in stores or on the web. I assume that's because I don't
know what they are called.

What I'm looking for has a curved part that covers the switch itself,
but you can stick your finger in on one side if you want to turn the
switch off. It's designed for those wall switches that people don't
normally want turned off, but do not want removed.

I made a rather crude drawing of what I'm looking for:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hagrinas/...witchcover.jpg

If anybody knows what they are called or where I can get them, I'd
appreciate it.

FurPaw

Hagrinas Mivali wrote:

Thanks. A search on "Switch guard" found a few items, and the closest one
was the Hemco switch guard.
http://www.ecom4mro.com/catalog/images/47/473032.JPG . The trick will be
finding one.

Not to ask the obvious, but why not order it from the web site where you
found it?

FurPaw

I do not know what they are called either, but I think they are
available at home depot's electrical department.

Stan

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:01:14 -0400, "Joe Fabeitz"
wrote:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hagrinas/...witchcover.jpg

{Delete nospam for email}
Hagrinas Mivali

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Hagrinas Mivali wrote:

Thanks. A search on "Switch guard" found a few items, and the closest

one
was the Hemco switch guard.
http://www.ecom4mro.com/catalog/images/47/473032.JPG . The trick will be
finding one.

Not to ask the obvious, but why not order it from the web site where you
found it?

I just have a thing about pulling up a one ounce item on a website for $2.99
and being told that shipping will be between $10 and $70 depending on the
method. I don't expect free shipping, but I buy a lot of things on line and
that just strikes me as high. I found another place that will ship a dozen
for $7.99, but I only need three at the most. When a single package is the
same cost as half a dozen, and I don't need it immediately, I'm tempted to
wait for a better answer.

If it were essential, I might have just ordered them anyway, but I figured
that somebody else might post something. And now I saw a couple of posts
that said I can try Home Depot, so I might as well do that instead.

tgilb

"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message

| "FurPaw" wrote in message
| Hagrinas Mivali wrote:
|

| Thanks. A search on "Switch guard" found a few items, and the closest
| one
| was the Hemco switch guard.
| http://www.ecom4mro.com/catalog/images/47/473032.JPG . The trick will
be
| finding one.
|
| Not to ask the obvious, but why not order it from the web site where you
| found it?
|

| I just have a thing about pulling up a one ounce item on a website for
$2.99
| and being told that shipping will be between $10 and $70 depending on the
| method. I don't expect free shipping, but I buy a lot of things on line
and
| that just strikes me as high. I found another place that will ship a
dozen
| for $7.99, but I only need three at the most. When a single package is
the
| same cost as half a dozen, and I don't need it immediately, I'm tempted to
| wait for a better answer.
|
| If it were essential, I might have just ordered them anyway, but I figured
| that somebody else might post something. And now I saw a couple of posts
| that said I can try Home Depot, so I might as well do that instead.

I realize we're not talking cigars here but the site
(https://www.jrcigars.com/) I buy mine from charges $2 for basic shipping (3
days to my front door). Depending on the company's shipping volume some are
able to ship quite cheaply.

Hagrinas Mivali

"tgilb" wrote in message
ink.net...

| If it were essential, I might have just ordered them anyway, but I

figured
| that somebody else might post something. And now I saw a couple of posts
| that said I can try Home Depot, so I might as well do that instead.

I realize we're not talking cigars here but the site
(https://www.jrcigars.com/) I buy mine from charges $2 for basic shipping

(3
days to my front door). Depending on the company's shipping volume some

are
able to ship quite cheaply.

All companies are able to ship quite cheaply. Putting a switch plate cover
in a padded envelope shouldn't need more than two or three stamps. That's
37 cents for the first ounce and 23 cents for each additional ounce. They
can get a box or envelope from the post office and send it to me by priority
mail for about $3.

The problem is that companies charge for "shipping and handling." Handling
is a phony concept. It's a way of splitting the price for any item into two
pieces and disclosing only one of them to make the price look low. Yes,
there are legitimate costs for handling. If I buy it at Home Depot, they
have to pay somebody to stock it. My neighborhood hardware store would have
to pay somebody to put it on a peg on a shelf. Both would have to pay a
cashier to ring it up, put it in a bag, and process my credit card. Handling
costs are typically lower for mail order companies, which do not need a
showroom or to go through the process of putting things on display. They and
retailers both need warehouses. Regular stores have the extra step of
stocking the merchandise instead of getting it to the shipping clerk. But
the latter can be automated and the former cannot.

Could you image the reaction if you checked out at a supermarket and
somebody tacked on an extra five dollars and said it's for handling? Of
course they have handling costs. All companies have operational costs and
they factor that into their selling price. Sometimes they even lose money
on the deal. If I show up at a cash register with a 39 cent item with a
missing bar code, they will probably lose money on my purchase. But
companies have to figure all that out when they set prices, and that's why a
switch plate cover might sell for $3 in the first place when it costs
pennies to manufacture.

Companies should just come up with the real price of the item and tell us
what it is. They should charge for actual shipping. If we want to save
money by getting multiple items shipped at the same time, that's legitimate.
If they want to give volume discounts because it's almost as cheap to send
me a dozen as it is to send me one, they can do that too. But when they
tell me that something is $3 when they are really going to charge me $10
plus actual shipping, I don't consider that honest.

xrongor

"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message

"tgilb" wrote in message
ink.net...

> [...]

on the deal. If I show up at a cash register with a 39 cent item with a
missing bar code, they will probably lose money on my purchase. But
companies have to figure all that out when they set prices, and that's why

switch plate cover might sell for $3 in the first place when it costs
pennies to manufacture.

Companies should just come up with the real price of the item and tell us
what it is. They should charge for actual shipping. If we want to save
money by getting multiple items shipped at the same time, that's

legitimate.
If they want to give volume discounts because it's almost as cheap to send
me a dozen as it is to send me one, they can do that too. But when they
tell me that something is $3 when they are really going to charge me $10
plus actual shipping, I don't consider that honest.

if you think the grocery store or the hardware store doesnt charge you a
handling charge because its not seperated out, well, you're wrong. the item
price already has all that overhead built into it and then some. the issue
here is awareness. you're more aware when the charges are seperated out.

come up with a TOTAL price and buy it or dont. you'll just outsmart
yourself if you get too hung up on what costs go where and take pointless
moral high ground.

randy

SJF

"xrongor" wrote in message

"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message

"tgilb" wrote in message
ink.net...

> [...]

legitimate.
If they want to give volume discounts because it's almost as cheap to

send
me a dozen as it is to send me one, they can do that too. But when they
tell me that something is $3 when they are really going to charge me $10
plus actual shipping, I don't consider that honest.

if you think the grocery store or the hardware store doesnt charge you a
handling charge because its not seperated out, well, you're wrong. the

item
price already has all that overhead built into it and then some. the

issue
here is awareness. you're more aware when the charges are seperated out.

come up with a TOTAL price and buy it or dont. you'll just outsmart
yourself if you get too hung up on what costs go where and take pointless

Hagrinas Mivali

"xrongor" wrote in message

"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message

"tgilb" wrote in message
ink.net...

> [...]

us
what it is. They should charge for actual shipping. If we want to save
money by getting multiple items shipped at the same time, that's

legitimate.
If they want to give volume discounts because it's almost as cheap to

send
me a dozen as it is to send me one, they can do that too. But when they
tell me that something is $3 when they are really going to charge me $10
plus actual shipping, I don't consider that honest.

if you think the grocery store or the hardware store doesnt charge you a
handling charge because its not seperated out, well, you're wrong. the

item
price already has all that overhead built into it and then some. the

issue
here is awareness. you're more aware when the charges are seperated out.

But that was exactly my point from the beginning. I'd like to know the cost
up front. As I said, it's not that the grocery store does not factor
handling into its price, it's that they don't try to sneak it in at the end
after offering me a lower price.

Many Internet merchants do exactly the opposite of that. They tempt people
with a price that is not the complete price and don't tell you the whole
price until after you give them your credit card number. With a grocery
store or hardware store, you know what you are going to pay when you read
the price tag.

come up with a TOTAL price and buy it or dont. you'll just outsmart
yourself if you get too hung up on what costs go where and take pointless
moral high ground.

But that's exactly what I did. Had they sold a $30 for $10, but charged $15
to ship it when $6 is more reasonable, I'd still think they are not being up
front about the true cost, but I'd still buy it since it would still a
bargain. It only becomes an issue if I need to return it, in which case they
would keep half the money I paid for the actual merchandise, and try to hide
that from consumers. In this case, the price was reasonable before I knew
the shipping charges, but was not reasonable, or even in line with other
Internet merchants when I went to check out. And of course, merchants who
do this will never list their shipping prices in their FAQ.

When people take the Infomercial route of telling you that you pay "only" a
certain price, and the fine print says +S&H, I have a problem. If somebody
says that they have a 15% restocking fee, I can live with that. But when
they try to get it out of me by bundling it in as a handling charge, I'd
rather not see it done that way. Commercials constantly promise things to
people for "only" a certain price, and these days it's more common for them
to not even bother advertising the S&H charge. If people weren't fooled by
it, I wouldn't mind. But people will tell you that they paid the price that
was advertised, not their total cost.

xrongor

Many Internet merchants do exactly the opposite of that. They tempt
people
with a price that is not the complete price and don't tell you the whole
price until after you give them your credit card number. With a grocery
store or hardware store, you know what you are going to pay when you read
the price tag.

this i will not put up with. i want the price before you get my card
number. couple times ive had people change it and i cancelled my order.

[...]

if its grossly overinflated i understand your point, but from my experience,
you usually save enough buying online to pay the 'handling' charge 4 or 5
times over and it would still be cheaper. over time you still save money
even with a return or two. but thats just my opinion. whats more important
to me is the reseller rating. id rather pay handling at a company i can
trust than take the low road with an unknown.

When people take the Infomercial route of telling you that you pay "only"

certain price, and the fine print says +S&H, I have a problem. If

somebody
says that they have a 15% restocking fee, I can live with that. But when
they try to get it out of me by bundling it in as a handling charge, I'd
rather not see it done that way. Commercials constantly promise things to
people for "only" a certain price, and these days it's more common for

them
to not even bother advertising the S&H charge. If people weren't fooled by
it, I wouldn't mind. But people will tell you that they paid the price

that
was advertised, not their total cost.

well, i guess this is kind of the crux of it. commercials are designed to
fool people whether directly or indirectly. i dont see any fundamental
difference between putting '10$ shipping and handling' in small letters on
the screen for .5 seconds (or not even listing the price just +S&H which you
find out later) and trying to convince men that buying budweiser will get
them the hot chicks. its all trickery. i make a concious effort not to
watch commercials.

randy