Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Gas shortage

On 5/18/2021 9:25 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Clare Snyder writes:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 11:41:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 2:06:40 PM UTC-4, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.woodworking, wrote:
I don't see what's gained by just substituting a camera/display for a
mirror.
Fuel efficiency. On a modern car[*] it's (IIRC) 3% of drag caused by just
side mirrors.

Except that comment made was referring to the rearview mirror, not the
sideview mirrors.

Studies have shown that the drag caused by the rearview mirror is
significantly less than 3%.

Depends on whether you are talking aerodynamic "flippers" or "baby
west coast" mirrors I guess - and it als depends if it is a relatively
low-drag vehicle to start with or a "bill-board on wheels"

I suspect tongue-in-cheek, if one differentiates between the side
mirrors and the "rearview" mirror. The latter only has the potential
to add to drag on a convertable.

For the record, jeez, LOL.
When I was in the automotive business and worked for a car dealer, the
mirrors were all rear view mirrors. The differentiation was inside rear
view, or drivers/left side rear view or passenger/right side rear view.

If you were looking for the part number in the catalog they were in the
same place, under rear view mirror.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Gas shortage Return to original topic

On 5/18/2021 4:00 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/18/2021 9:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 9:47:11 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/17/2021 6:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 16:06:06 -0500, Markem618
wrote:

OK,Â* ;~) a matter of minutes, 240 or them.Â* or It burned for 3 hours
before they arrived, or ....Â* ;~)

Never, never, never let the facts get in the way of a good story!.

East of Raliegh: On Saturday many of the station were out of gas.
This morning we went out to fill our Chevy and found gas at the first
station we tried. There was one other customer for gas. It appears
that in this area we are almost back to normal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 4:02:20 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/18/2021 9:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 9:50:27 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/17/2021 9:47 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 16:06:06 -0500, Markem618
wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2021 10:38:10 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/17/2021 8:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 4:53:32 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/16/2021 8:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 6:56:48 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 3:30:11 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
Actually 40 years ago one of our car salesmen rolled a new Toronado 1=20
mile from the dealership. It burned after he got out, the steering=20
wheel was not a normal shape.

The deformation of a steering wheel caused by heat would not be the same
deformation as caused by impact.=20

And the Tesla Model S has at least two types of steering wheel;
the Yoke style may look deformed to someone expecting a standard
round steering wheel.

Once again you've proved that all you are doing is reading these posts
and slamming them without having done any actual research.

I'm pretty that sure that Teslas vice president of vehicle engineering,
Lars Moravy, would not be "expecting a standard round steering wheel."

He was the one that said the company found the steering wheel of
the vehicle to be deformed.

And more speculation, the crash was at 30 mph.

I posted this the last time you said that the crash was at 30 MPH:

*****
Not according to the po-po.

This is dated May 12, 2021:

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../12/613656.htm

"The report didnt say how fast the car was going, but Harris County Precinct Four
Constable Mark Herman said it was a high speed."
*****

I'm not sure what Mr. Herman means by "high speed", but I'm speculating that it
was more than 30 MPH.

Even you said "Seems to me a 30 mph crash should not have been so devastating."

One would think that if there was some one in the drivers seat that the
air bag would have gone off and prevented the driver from deforming the
steering wheel. And the vehicle was not to be badly damaged from the
crash so much as from the fire.

The crash site was 800 feet from his home.

Maybe he put it in ludicrous mode, then went plaid.

The torque available to accelerate in a Tesla is way different than a
old fashion auto.

Not sure if Musk was a fan of Space Balls, but seems somewhere I saw
that the high sport mode was title after the movies line.

I am going with no seat belts and the occupants ended in the back.

People who don't know cars don't really understand how fast a Tesla
is. In 800 feet from a standing start a Model S Plaid Plus can be
going over 90 mph while a Model 3 can be going over 70.

And that explanation is not an indicator of how fast either is. You
described how quick they are.

And while your example may be correct. I seriously doubt the vehicle
was going 30 in that neighborhood. There would have been much more
front end damage at that speed.

So you are speculating that the speed was *less* than 30 MPH?
Type-O meant 90 and or 70.

Don't forget all the speed-scrubbing contact points before the vehicle hit
the tree.

The curb, the culvert, the raised manhole cover. All of those contacts could
have slowed the vehicle down without damaging the front end.

I'm not saying 90 or 70 either, but the popo did use the words "high speed"..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2021 6:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 16:06:06 -0500, Markem618
wrote:

OK,* ;~) a matter of minutes, 240 or them.* or It burned for 3 hours
before they arrived, or ....* ;~)

Never, never, never let the facts get in the way of a good story!.

East of Raliegh: On Saturday many of the station were out of gas.
This morning we went out to fill our Chevy and found gas at the first
station we tried. There was one other customer for gas. It appears
that in this area we are almost back to normal.

According to GasBuddy, it looks like about half the stations have gas
around here (far SW Atlanta Metro). I haven't really been looking
because my truck is good for probably two more weeks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 writes:
[...]

Could be but the momentum suggests otherwise. With no seatbelts, I'd
expect that the hither probability would be that they would be
ejected, perhaps through the windscreen or even the top as the car
disintegrated.

I think most of the damage to the car was because of the 4 hour fire.

I posted this link at least 3 times already. Do you not agree with the fire marshal
that the "4 hour fire" reports are just a bit misleading?

"Tesla Fire in Texas Crash Was Not How It Was Reported, Says Fire Chief"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ls-fire-chief/

OK, ;~) a matter of minutes, 240 or them. or It burned for 3 hours
before they arrived, or .... ;~)

Never, never, never let the facts get in the way of a good story!.

After about 30 minutes the rest is pure overkill.

Gas shortage Uncle Peter[_2_] UK diy 2 January 30th 15 02:24 PM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Ownership 3 June 18th 07 06:34 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 18th 07 05:32 AM
Why There Is A Flu Vaccine Shortage [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 21st 04 11:11 AM
Shortage in Delivery Kevin UK diy 5 October 5th 04 07:10 PM