Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default OT: Gas shortage

On 5/18/2021 9:25 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Clare Snyder writes:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 11:41:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 2:06:40 PM UTC-4, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.woodworking, wrote:
I don't see what's gained by just substituting a camera/display for a
mirror.
Fuel efficiency. On a modern car[*] it's (IIRC) 3% of drag caused by just
side mirrors.

Except that comment made was referring to the rearview mirror, not the
sideview mirrors.

Studies have shown that the drag caused by the rearview mirror is
significantly less than 3%.

Depends on whether you are talking aerodynamic "flippers" or "baby
west coast" mirrors I guess - and it als depends if it is a relatively
low-drag vehicle to start with or a "bill-board on wheels"

I suspect tongue-in-cheek, if one differentiates between the side
mirrors and the "rearview" mirror. The latter only has the potential
to add to drag on a convertable.

For the record, jeez, LOL.
When I was in the automotive business and worked for a car dealer, the
mirrors were all rear view mirrors. The differentiation was inside rear
view, or drivers/left side rear view or passenger/right side rear view.

If you were looking for the part number in the catalog they were in the
same place, under rear view mirror.