Greg Millen

Default Is it just me? (rust tips)

I've read a few articles over the years on rust, rust removal, avoiding
rust, machine storage etc. I realise it is a nuisance to a lot of us, but
thought today I'd post what I use to avoid it - sheets.

Simply put, I throw old bed sheets over them when I'm done. Over the BS,
jointer and thicknesser, no rust, or signs of it. I ensure the sheet does
not sit directly on the metal but is held off somehow, for example, on the
jointer I use the push handles to hold the cloth in the air.

Since I am on the handy hint thing - old toothbrushes. One of the handiest
things in the shop and you can use them for a surprising amount of tasks:
gluing, painting, cleaning, scrubbing blades, planes, sockets etc. But one
of their best, but little known uses, is for cleaning sanding belts or
disks. Don't but the so-called cleaning sticks, use an old toothbrush.

Greg (who must be having a Martha Stewart kinda day)

Richard Clements

it's nice living in the Idaho desert, never a rust problem, but the temp
hitting 100 every day for most of the summer is a definite trade off

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Greg Millen" wrote in message
I've read a few articles over the years on rust, rust removal, avoiding
rust, machine storage etc. I realise it is a nuisance to a lot of us, but
thought today I'd post what I use to avoid it - sheets.

Simply put, I throw old bed sheets over them when I'm done.

Your idea is a good one, but it does not eliminate the need for
protection.I found that out one day when the weather made a sudden change
and the moist
air rolled in. I stood and watched as my not properly protected saw top
rusted right before my eyes. I could see it happen in a minute or two.

Sheets help, but you have to remove them to use the tool and the moisture
can still bite you.
Ed

Eugene

Richard Clements wrote:

it's nice living in the Idaho desert, never a rust problem, but the temp
hitting 100 every day for most of the summer is a definite trade off

wouldn't the tools rust where the sweat dripped on them.

Greg Millen

Ed sed in message ...
Your idea is a good one, but it does not eliminate the need for
protection.I
found that out one day when the weather made a sudden change and the moist
air rolled in. I stood and watched as my not properly protected saw top
rusted right before my eyes. I could see it happen in a minute or two.

Sheets help, but you have to remove them to use the tool and the moisture
can still bite you.

Good points Ed. Use of sheets does not remove the common sense factor. If
the sheet isn't on, it can't be working. I use (about every 12 months) an
automotive polish that has no silicates for general protection.

The most important time to have the sheet on is during cooling and heating
cycles in the shop. Cooling air falls onto the exposed surfaces and moisture
condenses on the colder metal. All the sheet does is provide a dead-air
trap. You might have saved your tools in the example above if you'd had a
heat gun handy.

I don't mind putting the sheets on and off, it takes a couple of seconds for
each tool - a small price to pay and it doesn't require me to tidy up first;
it hides the mess too ;-)

cheers,

Groggy

Tom

Eugene wrote:wouldn't the tools rust where the sweat dripped on them.

Sweat eats right through Johnson's paste wax, so, yes. Is the Boeshield (or any
other) any better in that respect? Anyone? Tom
Work at your leisure!
Edwin Pawlowski

"Eugene" wrote in message

wouldn't the tools rust where the sweat dripped on them.

Framers/carpenters sweat. Cabinet makers perspire