Greg Millen

Default Is it just me? (rust tips)

I've read a few articles over the years on rust, rust removal, avoiding
rust, machine storage etc. I realise it is a nuisance to a lot of us, but
thought today I'd post what I use to avoid it - sheets.

Simply put, I throw old bed sheets over them when I'm done. Over the BS,
jointer and thicknesser, no rust, or signs of it. I ensure the sheet does
not sit directly on the metal but is held off somehow, for example, on the
jointer I use the push handles to hold the cloth in the air.

Since I am on the handy hint thing - old toothbrushes. One of the handiest
things in the shop and you can use them for a surprising amount of tasks:
gluing, painting, cleaning, scrubbing blades, planes, sockets etc. But one
of their best, but little known uses, is for cleaning sanding belts or
disks. Don't but the so-called cleaning sticks, use an old toothbrush.

Greg (who must be having a Martha Stewart kinda day)