Greg Millen

Ed sed in message ...
Your idea is a good one, but it does not eliminate the need for
protection.I
found that out one day when the weather made a sudden change and the moist
air rolled in. I stood and watched as my not properly protected saw top
rusted right before my eyes. I could see it happen in a minute or two.

Sheets help, but you have to remove them to use the tool and the moisture
can still bite you.

Good points Ed. Use of sheets does not remove the common sense factor. If
the sheet isn't on, it can't be working. I use (about every 12 months) an
automotive polish that has no silicates for general protection.

The most important time to have the sheet on is during cooling and heating
cycles in the shop. Cooling air falls onto the exposed surfaces and moisture
condenses on the colder metal. All the sheet does is provide a dead-air
trap. You might have saved your tools in the example above if you'd had a
heat gun handy.

I don't mind putting the sheets on and off, it takes a couple of seconds for
each tool - a small price to pay and it doesn't require me to tidy up first;
it hides the mess too ;-)

cheers,

Groggy