J T

Default QUESTION - Drill loudness

OK, I'm getting ready to embark on a project that's gonna call for
a variable speed drill being used as a stirrer, for fairly extended
periods, maybe up to 30 minutes or so, multiple times. It'll be fixed
in place, I'm not gonna hold it. It's a "must" that noise be kept to an
absolute minimum, so apartment neighbors won't complain - it's not my
place, I don't have neighbors that close. I should be able to muffle at
least part of the noise with a plywood box, lined with foam or similar,
or at least redirect some of it. But, I'm gonna need as quiet a drill
as I can find. All my drills are old and noisy, so I'm gonna need a new
one.

So, does anyone out there know of any particular make or model of a
variable speed corded drill that is fairly quiet? Or, at least
relatively quiet? Doesn't need to be large, small will probably be best
anyway. This is all the drill will be used for, so only suggest
something not so expensive.

Do they have one beater mixers? If they do, and they're quiet, that
would probably be great. I'll have to check into that, all I'e seen
have two. I'll consider any other suggestions like that too. Need
variable speed, but doesn't need to exceed 100-200 RPM tops, so
something else may work also. Hmm, I do belive I've got some light
dimmers out in the shop, might they work as variable speed controllers?

Don't bother suggesting a battery drill.

JOAT
Don't complain: When a dog barks, he loses his bone.
- Bazooka Joe

Porky Pig says: http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/porky/Porky03.wav

Morris Dovey

J T wrote:

Do they have one beater mixers? If they do, and they're quiet, that
would probably be great. I'll have to check into that, all I'e seen
have two.

Well, now we know who doesn't do any cooking at your house.

The beaters are removable (Take one out - leave one in :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Upscale

"J T" wrote in message

in place, I'm not gonna hold it. It's a "must" that noise be kept to an
absolute minimum, so apartment neighbors won't complain - it's not my
variable speed, but doesn't need to exceed 100-200 RPM tops, so

Will 100-200 RPM really be too loud? I ran my corded Milwaukee hammer drill
(hammer function off) at that speed and it was quieter than the TV at
standard listening level. Agreed, the noise was distinctive compared to the
TV, but certainly not louder.

Dwight

Don't forget to consider the heat that it's going to generate. If you
put noise reducing padding around it you'll have to leave vent holes
of some sort or maybe even install an additional cooling fan.
Especially if the drill is running at a lower RPM I'm thinking it's
going to get a bit warm being run for an extended period.
Pounds on Wood

How about a $60 drill press?

********
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

J T

If I tell ya what it's for, I'll probably have to kill ya, and I
can't afford the travel fare. Otherwise, I'd be happy to tell ya.

OK, who still wants to know? LMAO

It's not for me, and it's legal. Just that there's worry that the
same noise for maybe 15-20-30 minutes will get irritating on the
neighbors - thin walls, so want/need to muffle the sound as much as
feasible. And, yes there would be air vents. And, no, not mixing up
anything.

Stirrer was likely a inappropriate word, but that's the first word
that popped into my head. Trying to prototype a drive motor for an
animated (power driven?) whatchmacallit, for someone else. On a low
budget. Using plans from someone else (Rube Goldberg maybe). This is to
be upside down, inside the "muffler" (base), and turn a model (no, not a
live model). The theory is, it will be fun.

I pulled out my old mixer and ran it. At the slower speeds seemed
to hesitate a bit, don't know if that was from no use, age, or just the
way it is. Seemed to be doable with it, but it seems to be as noisy as
a drill. And, no, I'm not going to buy a drill press, even tho my drill
press motor would certainly qualify as quiet enough. Be a major PITA to
change speeds by changing belts tho.

I think my plan now is to forget the drill, and to stop at a
second-hand store and see what they've got in the way of mixers. I've
seen them as low as about $1 there. I figure after the sound is
muffled, it will be acceptable.

I did get another project idea from this. I've been trying to
figure out a not too complicated power marble lift (got manual, don't
need more). Today, I remembered Junkyard Wars and golf ball
machineguns. Neat. The two wheels could work. Rubber wheel on each
beater shaft. Feed marbles in, it should shoot marbles out. Tube to
route marbles, leading up, and power marble lift. Be neat to fine tune
it enough to shoot marbles 2-3 feet in the air at the top, then have
them come down in a catch funnel or something, to feed them into the
marble machine, for a repeat. That would make it a marble fountain.
LMAO

JOAT
The whole of life is a learning process.
- John Keel

Porky Pig says: http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/porky/Porky03.wav

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:39:45 -0400, J T wrote:
If I tell ya what it's for, I'll probably have to kill ya, and I
can't afford the travel fare. Otherwise, I'd be happy to tell ya.

OK, who still wants to know? LMAO

It's not for me, and it's legal. Just that there's worry that the
same noise for maybe 15-20-30 minutes will get irritating on the
neighbors - thin walls, so want/need to muffle the sound as much as
feasible. And, yes there would be air vents. And, no, not mixing up
anything.

A drill with a universal motor probably isn't the best choice for this.
You probably want to jig up some kind of reduction from an induction
motor.

Time to dig out your McMaster-Carr catalog.

DanG

You might look here for an idea. We have chemical barrels used
for ph balancing that use these type mixers.

http://www.emimixers.com/datacart/rhcddd.asp

The ones of which I speak have a motor similar in hp and sound to
perhaps a grinder motor or washing machine or dryer motor. They
are fractional horse and virtually soundless. Perhaps you can rig
together a junked motor, a shaft with small propeller, a paint
paddle, or other flag attached with a coupling.

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)