DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   QUESTION - Drill loudness (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/66568-question-drill-loudness.html)

J T August 25th 04 08:41 AM

QUESTION - Drill loudness

OK, I'm getting ready to embark on a project that's gonna call for
a variable speed drill being used as a stirrer, for fairly extended
periods, maybe up to 30 minutes or so, multiple times. It'll be fixed
in place, I'm not gonna hold it. It's a "must" that noise be kept to an
absolute minimum, so apartment neighbors won't complain - it's not my
place, I don't have neighbors that close. I should be able to muffle at
least part of the noise with a plywood box, lined with foam or similar,
or at least redirect some of it. But, I'm gonna need as quiet a drill
as I can find. All my drills are old and noisy, so I'm gonna need a new
one.

So, does anyone out there know of any particular make or model of a
variable speed corded drill that is fairly quiet? Or, at least
relatively quiet? Doesn't need to be large, small will probably be best
anyway. This is all the drill will be used for, so only suggest
something not so expensive.

Do they have one beater mixers? If they do, and they're quiet, that
would probably be great. I'll have to check into that, all I'e seen
have two. I'll consider any other suggestions like that too. Need
variable speed, but doesn't need to exceed 100-200 RPM tops, so
something else may work also. Hmm, I do belive I've got some light
dimmers out in the shop, might they work as variable speed controllers?

Don't bother suggesting a battery drill.

JOAT
Don't complain: When a dog barks, he loses his bone.
- Bazooka Joe

Porky Pig says: http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/porky/Porky03.wav

Morris Dovey August 25th 04 09:33 AM

J T wrote:

Do they have one beater mixers? If they do, and they're quiet, that
would probably be great. I'll have to check into that, all I'e seen
have two.

Well, now we know who doesn't do any cooking at your house.

The beaters are removable (Take one out - leave one in :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

J T August 25th 04 09:49 AM

Wed, Aug 25, 2004, 3:33am (EDT-1) (Morris=A0Dovey)
says:
Well, now we know who doesn't do any cooking at your house.
The beaters are removable (Take one out - leave one in :-)

I just don't do any of that sissy cookin' stuff, that takes a
mixer.

Yah, I'd thought of that, but how long would it hold up, with just
one going?

Upscale August 25th 04 09:56 AM

"J T" wrote in message

in place, I'm not gonna hold it. It's a "must" that noise be kept to an
absolute minimum, so apartment neighbors won't complain - it's not my
variable speed, but doesn't need to exceed 100-200 RPM tops, so

Will 100-200 RPM really be too loud? I ran my corded Milwaukee hammer drill
(hammer function off) at that speed and it was quieter than the TV at
standard listening level. Agreed, the noise was distinctive compared to the
TV, but certainly not louder.

Morris Dovey August 25th 04 10:04 AM

J T wrote:

Wed, Aug 25, 2004, 3:33am (EDT-1) (Morris Dovey)
says:
Well, now we know who doesn't do any cooking at your house.
The beaters are removable (Take one out - leave one in :-)

I just don't do any of that sissy cookin' stuff, that takes a
mixer.

Yah, I'd thought of that, but how long would it hold up, with just
one going?

If it's a good mixer and you're mixing liquid, perhaps a year or
two nonstop. If you're mixing mud, I dunno. The mixer here has
been whipping mashed potatos for more than twenty years...

With only one beater it'd only be working half as hard.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

J. Clarke August 25th 04 02:48 PM

J T wrote:

Wed, Aug 25, 2004, 3:33am (EDT-1) (Morris*Dovey)
says:
Well, now we know who doesn't do any cooking at your house.
The beaters are removable (Take one out - leave one in :-)

I just don't do any of that sissy cookin' stuff, that takes a
mixer.

Yah, I'd thought of that, but how long would it hold up, with just
one going?

FWIW, KitchenAid has one beater and the more powerful models will knead
black bread dough, which is far tougher than any kind of paint. Trouble is
you can get a damned good drill for the price of one.

Just did some rough noise level checks--Craftsman drill press at 500 RPM is
70dBA, Dewalt 18v half-inch drill is 80, Kitchenaid mixer is 70-80
depending on speed, Milwaukee 3/8" corded drill is 90, but it's an old one
and the newer ones might be quieter, all measured about 3 feet away with
the meter (Lutron SL-4001) pointed at the tool. Looks like your best bet
for noise might be a portable drill press, as long as it gets its variable
speed from belt-drive instead of a variable-speed direct-drive. Drill
press noise has a different "character" from the others besides--more of a
rumble where the others have more of a high-pitch whine.

JOAT
Don't complain: When a dog barks, he loses his bone.
- Bazooka Joe

Porky Pig says:
http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/porky/Porky03.wav

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Dwight August 25th 04 03:59 PM

Don't forget to consider the heat that it's going to generate. If you
put noise reducing padding around it you'll have to leave vent holes
of some sort or maybe even install an additional cooling fan.
Especially if the drill is running at a lower RPM I'm thinking it's
going to get a bit warm being run for an extended period.

Old Nick August 25th 04 04:26 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 03:41:37 -0400, (J T)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sync motor bench drill press? Brushless (quiet) motor. Variable (if
clumsy) speed. Fairly cheap from XMart. Robust. High/variable torque.
Good duty cycle. I have easily used mine for hours on end under load.

OK, I'm getting ready to embark on a project that's gonna call for
a variable speed drill being used as a stirrer, for fairly extended
periods, maybe up to 30 minutes or so, multiple times. It'll be fixed
in place, I'm not gonna hold it. It's a "must" that noise be kept to an
absolute minimum, so apartment neighbors won't complain -

Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so
that neither of them can do what they want to because
of the other one.

Old Nick August 25th 04 04:36 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 03:41:37 -0400, (J T)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Don't complain: When a dog barks, he loses his bone.

Sorry. My dog barks when he _gets_ a "bone".

However.

There was a bird that left it too late to fly south for the winter. It
got caught and fell to earth, exhausted by the cold. A cow came along
and shat on the bird. The bird was revived by the nice warm cow****.
It stuck its head up and sang, as birds have to when they can. A cat
came along, and, ignoring the ****, at the bird.

Moral(s)
Those who **** on you are not necessraily your enemies.
If you are in the **** and happy, then shut up.
Those that get you out of the **** are not necesarily your friends.

This is a "joke" that is VERY clever, because it presents a silly
situation, but provides a VERY real statement.....

patriarch August 25th 04 04:50 PM

(J T) wrote in news:23839-412C42B1-1@storefull-
3153.bay.webtv.net:

OK, I'm getting ready to embark on a project that's gonna call for
a variable speed drill being used as a stirrer, for fairly extended
periods, maybe up to 30 minutes or so, multiple times.

Sounds like a job for a Kitchenaid stand mixer. Preferably second hand.
They are used for everything from whipping cream and egg whites to mixing
bread and pizza dough. Tough as nails, particularly the older ones.

Or find something from the Hobart commercial line, from somewhere that
sells used restaraunt grade stuff.

These both would have sturdy stands, tilting heads, removeable and
selectable whips, and all sorts of great replacement parts. The biggest
difference would be how large a vessel could easily be managed for the
mixed liquids.

Neither would be as loud as any of my electric drill motors, or a drill
press. The mixer would be quieter with some sort of vibration isolation
from the counter top.

Do we want to know what you're blending up in some apartment where you
don't want to attract attention? ;-)

Patriarch,
who much prefers these kinds of threads to some of the other noise here
lately....

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles August 25th 04 06:56 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:50:05 GMT, patriarch wrote:
(J T) wrote in news:23839-412C42B1-1@storefull-
3153.bay.webtv.net:

OK, I'm getting ready to embark on a project that's gonna call for
a variable speed drill being used as a stirrer, for fairly extended
periods, maybe up to 30 minutes or so, multiple times.

Might help if you tell us what you're mixing.

I did some self-leveling mortar with a Milwaukee "holeshooter" drill .
..can't sey it was the best choice. Something like a Hole Hawg
(horizontal drill, MUCH slower RPM) would have been better.

At the low speeds, noise wasn't so much an issue as the dust in the
bearings was.

Pounds on Wood August 25th 04 09:10 PM

How about a $60 drill press?

********
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com

J T August 26th 04 01:39 AM

If I tell ya what it's for, I'll probably have to kill ya, and I
can't afford the travel fare. Otherwise, I'd be happy to tell ya.

OK, who still wants to know? LMAO

It's not for me, and it's legal. Just that there's worry that the
same noise for maybe 15-20-30 minutes will get irritating on the
neighbors - thin walls, so want/need to muffle the sound as much as
feasible. And, yes there would be air vents. And, no, not mixing up
anything.

Stirrer was likely a inappropriate word, but that's the first word
that popped into my head. Trying to prototype a drive motor for an
animated (power driven?) whatchmacallit, for someone else. On a low
budget. Using plans from someone else (Rube Goldberg maybe). This is to
be upside down, inside the "muffler" (base), and turn a model (no, not a
live model). The theory is, it will be fun.

I pulled out my old mixer and ran it. At the slower speeds seemed
to hesitate a bit, don't know if that was from no use, age, or just the
way it is. Seemed to be doable with it, but it seems to be as noisy as
a drill. And, no, I'm not going to buy a drill press, even tho my drill
press motor would certainly qualify as quiet enough. Be a major PITA to
change speeds by changing belts tho.

I think my plan now is to forget the drill, and to stop at a
second-hand store and see what they've got in the way of mixers. I've
seen them as low as about $1 there. I figure after the sound is
muffled, it will be acceptable.

I did get another project idea from this. I've been trying to
figure out a not too complicated power marble lift (got manual, don't
need more). Today, I remembered Junkyard Wars and golf ball
machineguns. Neat. The two wheels could work. Rubber wheel on each
beater shaft. Feed marbles in, it should shoot marbles out. Tube to
route marbles, leading up, and power marble lift. Be neat to fine tune
it enough to shoot marbles 2-3 feet in the air at the top, then have
them come down in a catch funnel or something, to feed them into the
marble machine, for a repeat. That would make it a marble fountain.
LMAO

JOAT
The whole of life is a learning process.
- John Keel

Porky Pig says: http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/porky/Porky03.wav

patriarch August 26th 04 03:53 AM

(J T) wrote in news:20329-412D3151-30@storefull-
3152.bay.webtv.net:

snip

I did get another project idea from this. I've been trying to
figure out a not too complicated power marble lift (got manual, don't
need more). Today, I remembered Junkyard Wars and golf ball
machineguns. Neat. The two wheels could work. Rubber wheel on each
beater shaft. Feed marbles in, it should shoot marbles out. Tube to
route marbles, leading up, and power marble lift. Be neat to fine tune
it enough to shoot marbles 2-3 feet in the air at the top, then have
them come down in a catch funnel or something, to feed them into the
marble machine, for a repeat. That would make it a marble fountain.
LMAO

The workings of a creative mind are fascinating to observe...

Thank you for sharing.

Patriarch

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles August 26th 04 03:12 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:39:45 -0400, J T wrote:
If I tell ya what it's for, I'll probably have to kill ya, and I
can't afford the travel fare. Otherwise, I'd be happy to tell ya.

OK, who still wants to know? LMAO

It's not for me, and it's legal. Just that there's worry that the
same noise for maybe 15-20-30 minutes will get irritating on the
neighbors - thin walls, so want/need to muffle the sound as much as
feasible. And, yes there would be air vents. And, no, not mixing up
anything.

A drill with a universal motor probably isn't the best choice for this.
You probably want to jig up some kind of reduction from an induction
motor.

Time to dig out your McMaster-Carr catalog.

DanG August 28th 04 07:38 PM

You might look here for an idea. We have chemical barrels used
for ph balancing that use these type mixers.

http://www.emimixers.com/datacart/rhcddd.asp

The ones of which I speak have a motor similar in hp and sound to
perhaps a grinder motor or washing machine or dryer motor. They
are fractional horse and virtually soundless. Perhaps you can rig
together a junked motor, a shaft with small propeller, a paint
paddle, or other flag attached with a coupling.

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)