RWK

Default smelly old cabinet

wife inherited a old armoire-about 75 yrs old. veneer marquetry with nice patina on outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty smell. Looks to be some kind of softwood stained dark. I tried 2 coats of waterbased poly on inside but it still smells.

Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

thanks

DanG

I would not have put anything on it.

I have no suggestion at this point. In the futu

I would have made a wet paste of Tide brand laundry soap and
washed the inside of drawers and the cabinet lightly, not trying
to soak the wood. Let stand outside in the sun for a day (several
days if convenient).

A potpourri ball of some type to develop a new scent. I would use
cedar chips/shavings in an open mesh bag.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"RWK" wrote in message
wife inherited a old armoire-about 75 yrs old. veneer marquetry
with nice patina on outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty
smell. Looks to be some kind of softwood stained dark. I tried
2 coats of waterbased poly on inside but it still smells.
Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?
thanks

Phisherman

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:01:19 GMT, "RWK" wrote:

wife inherited a old armoire-about 75 yrs old. veneer marquetry with nice patina on outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty smell. Looks to be some kind of softwood stained dark. I tried 2 coats of waterbased poly on inside but it still smells.

Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

thanks

Take it outside and allow the sun to shine into it for several hours.
The UV rays will break down the odor.
Clif

Wad up some newspaper, and put a box of baking soda in it, then close it up
for a day (24 hours or so) If it can get the smell out of apartment fridges
that were left full and without power for a week, it should work for that

Clif

"RWK"
"RWK" wrote in message
wife inherited a old armoire-about 75 yrs old. veneer marquetry with nice
patina on outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty smell. Looks to be some
kind of softwood stained dark. I tried 2 coats of waterbased poly on
inside but it still smells.
Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?
thanks

Jeff Gorman

"RWK" wrote

wife inherited a old armoire-about 75 yrs old. veneer marquetry with nice
patina on outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty smell. Looks to be some
kind of softwood stained dark. I tried 2 coats of waterbased poly on
inside but it still smells.
Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

Cat litter is supposed to work, though I haven't tried it.

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email: username is amgron

patrick conroy

Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

Other's have posted their smell removal ideas. For sealing it in - try
shellac first.

brian roth

"RWK" wrote in message news:zFMTc.44093$US4.43687@trndny01...
wife inherited a old armoire-about 75 yrs old. veneer marquetry with
nice patina on outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty smell. Looks to
be some kind of softwood stained dark. I tried 2 coats of waterbased
poly on inside but it still smells.

Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

thanks

--

This is a classic use of shellac.
Charlie Self

Jeff Gorman responds:

wife inherited a old armoire-about 75 yrs old. veneer marquetry with nice
patina on outside. Trouble is, inside has a musty smell. Looks to be some
kind of softwood stained dark. I tried 2 coats of waterbased poly on
inside but it still smells.
Any ideas on getting rid of smell or sealing it in?

Cat litter is supposed to work, though I haven't tried it.

The type with baking soda in it might just work. We used baking soda last year
to rehab a refrigerator after our fire--the clean up crew didn't bother to
empty the rerigerator for 2 weeks (in July, no power for most of that time).
They then proceeded to clean it lightly. Several boxes of baking soda in open
dishes took the smells out in about two weeks.

And believe me, that machine was waaaaaaaaaaaay past musty!

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary