Mike McCormick

Default Kitchen Cabinet - modification questions???

I would like to install a microwave/hood combination over my range.
The cabinet over my range comes down too far to give me the clearance
I need between the top of the range and the bottom of the cabinet.
The height of the cabinet over my refrigetor would be perfect for over
the range, but it is too wide. Since we don't use the cabinet over
the refrigerator, I'm wondering if it would be feasible/possible to
use the pieces from both cabinets to make the cabinet I need. The
cabinet doors and frames are glued together and nailed together with
these tacks that look like nails without heads. Would it be possible
to dismantle the door and frame pieces without tearing them apart (or
ruining the finish) and then use the appropriate pieces (some cutting
necessary) to make a cabinet the correct height? If so, how do you
get the glued pieces to come apart without breaking? How do you get
the headless nails out? Are there woodworkers, cabinet makers, etc.
that I could bring the two cabinets to that might be willing to do
this for me? If so, how do I find someone?

If I attempt to do this and screw it up, then I potentially have two
ruined cabinets and will be looking at the expense of redoing the
whole kitchen.

Any information or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike
Robert Bonomi

Recommendation, have a *single* new cabinet custom built (to match existing)
to replace the one currently over the range.

It'll almost assuredly be cheaper than trying to 'modify' the two existing
ones into a single cabinet.

In article ,
Mike McCormick wrote:

[...]

Scott Brownell

Mike McCormick wrote:

[...]

Can you remove the existing cabinet over the stove? Shortening the
carcass shouldn't be much of a problem once it's removed. If you stay
with the manufacturer's standard cabinet sizes (12"h, 15"h, etc.) then
you could just order a new set of doors of the appropriate size & be
done with it.

Scott
up later, the damage remains.