Dave

Default 6" vs 8" jointer

It seems to me that a jointer is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. When I
look back at tools I have bought before, I often wonder why I didn't buy
better quality or bigger equipment from the beginning. Therefore, now that I
am looking at buying a jointer, I feel tempted to go for an 8" machine
rather than smaller.

On the other hand, I do wonder if it will be more than I would ever
use. It seems also that if you make a mistake and hit a nail, those 8"
knives will be worth a lot more to replace. With this being a small market
tool, resale value of a bigger device would probably not match up as will
with purchase price. Certainly you pay lots more for the extra couple of
inches. I don't yet have any significant hands-on experience and therefore
would definitely be a newbie to that tool.

Any ideas out there? Can you do almost as much on a 6" machine as an 8"?

Dave

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave" wrote in message
It seems to me that a jointer is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. When I
look back at tools I have bought before, I often wonder why I didn't buy
better quality or bigger equipment from the beginning. Therefore, now that

am looking at buying a jointer, I feel tempted to go for an 8" machine
rather than smaller.

Any ideas out there? Can you do almost as much on a 6" machine as an

8"?

Dave

It does not matter what can be done. Read your second sentence. If you buy
the 6", you will always wonder if you should have bought the 8". You may
not need it for years and all of a sudden, you have a 7" board and you will
kick yourself in the ass for not buying the 8". Avoid the grief and get it
now.

David Zaret

dave -- get the 8", or larger. you can't have a jointer that's too big.
i'm seriously considering a 20".

if you have the budget, do it and don't look back. you won't regret it.

--- dz

Dave wrote:
[...]

joey

Get the 8" or bigger
I bougtht new 6" Powermatic last year .. the long bed won out over the extra
width. Of course now they have 8" long bed now thinking of selling to up
grade. Most wood I buy is 6-8 inch wide when I need to face joint I would
prefer to face joint them whole width rather than rough ripping then face
joint

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Schmall

Are you buying it to use, or to sell?
The incremental cost of the knives is comparable to that of the 8" jointer
over the 6".
Get the largest decent machine you can afford.
Sorry for the abrupt tone, but it's the wife's birthday and I'm pressed for
time.

Bob

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

jo4hn

Dave wrote:
[...]

I started with an inexpensive 6" and moved to a Grizzly Go500 after the
cheapo tried to maim me. Go with the 8" and reasonable quality. The
knives aren't that much more expensive (roughly proportional to the
difference in size) nor are sharpening expenses. As you say "a jointer
is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase" (well, twice for me) so do it right
the first time.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 14:09:16 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

It seems to me that a jointer is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

Why ? My jointer was very much cheaper than the cost of the workshop
it's sitting in. If I ever find myself with the _space_ for a bigger
jointer, then I wouldn't hesitate to replace it.

I also don't have many 6"-7" boards to work on that won't fit a 6"
jointer but will fit a 8" jointer. I'm quite happy to keep my 6"
jointer around for edge jointing, but if I want something bigger for
use as a surface planer, then I'd go straight to 12".

--
Smert' spamionam
Lee Gordon

If you're worried about nicking the knives with a hidden nail, invest in a
Lumber Wizard or similar metal detector.

Lee

Juergen Hannappel

"Lee Gordon" writes:

If you're worried about nicking the knives with a hidden nail, invest in a
Lumber Wizard or similar metal detector.

What about hidden stones?

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Wes Stewart

wrote:

| It seems to me that a jointer is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. When I
|look back at tools I have bought before, I often wonder why I didn't buy
|better quality or bigger equipment from the beginning. Therefore, now that I
|am looking at buying a jointer, I feel tempted to go for an 8" machine
|rather than smaller.

I'll join the chorus; buy the bigger one.

I got my 6" Woodtek as a retirement gift from my employer. At the
time (before Walmart) that was the biggest company in the world and
they needed the money for executive bonuses, so my 30 years were only
worth $400. Otherwise, if I had my druthers, I would have at least an
8 incher.

| On the other hand, I do wonder if it will be more than I would ever
|use. It seems also that if you make a mistake and hit a nail, those 8"
|knives will be worth a lot more to replace. With this being a small market
|tool, resale value of a bigger device would probably not match up as will
|with purchase price. Certainly you pay lots more for the extra couple of
|inches. I don't yet have any significant hands-on experience and therefore
|would definitely be a newbie to that tool.

Don't plane wood containing nails and it's a non-issue.

| Any ideas out there? Can you do almost as much on a 6" machine as an 8"?

Yes...but, when the board is 7" wide, almost doesn't count.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message

Otherwise, if I had my druthers, I would have at least an
8 incher.

We all would Wes. We all would!

Greg O

"Dave" wrote in message
It seems to me that a jointer is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. When I
look back at tools I have bought before, I often wonder why I didn't buy
better quality or bigger equipment from the beginning. Therefore, now that

am looking at buying a jointer, I feel tempted to go for an 8" machine
rather than smaller.

I take is it depends on what you plan on doing with it. if you only build
bird houses, a 6" is plenty, small furniture, again a 6" is probably enough.
If you plan on planning long boards over 6" wide, get a 8".
Greg

MikeG

In article go5Rc.33403$J06.11147@pd7tw2no,
says...
[...]

I see you already have had quite a few replies on this one. To tell the
truth I'm not even going to look at them. Not because I think they may
be screwed up or not worth looking at but because this is one of those
"matter of personal choice things" where almost any answer is viable.

First lets get rid of that hit a nail thing. A jointer is a tool not a
precious collectors item. **** happens and if you have a need for the
tool you bear with the occasional ding or two. If you're going to worry
about something like that you really don't need the tool and if you have
it you might as well put a glass case around it so you can sit and
admire it in the quiet of the evenings.

4", 6", 8", 24" jointer, it doesn't matter. What is your requirements.
If you are gluing up lots and lots of big panels all the time you want
to do it as efficiently as possible and that means making them of the
widest board you can run over the jointer, which, in turn, means the
biggest jointer you can afford.

If you are doing jewelry boxes all the time or maybe have to glue up a
panel once a month why spend the money. The climb in price as you get to
bigger jointer is really drastic.

Which jointer is best for you now and in the future. Good question but
certainly not one I can answer for you.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

patriarch

"Dave" wrote in

snip
With this being a small
market tool, resale value of a bigger device would probably not match
up as will with purchase price.

snip

In the SF Bay Area, 8" jointers with a pedigree regularly exchange owners
for in the range of US$800 to US$1000. Similar quality 6" machines are
around US$400, depending on circumstances.

I would personally be pleased to have space in my shop for a good quality
8" machine, at those prices particularly. However, to make one fit, I
would need to build another place for storing hardwoods.

Machines of questionable parentage or care history seem much harder to
resell, at any price.

Patriarch
jo4hn

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Wes Stewart" wrote in message

Otherwise, if I had my druthers, I would have at least an
8 incher.

We all would Wes. We all would!

ooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo!

Phisherman

Get the 8". Even if you don't use the full 8" at any given time, you
can still move the fence to an area where the knives are sharper. A
larger base means better stability. Unless you are cramped for space,
bigger is better.

wrote:

[...]

Robert Galloway

Only three things to consider.
Are you ever going to want to joint a board wider than 6"?
If not, no need for the 8".
Got the space for it?
Got the Geld?

You can joint the occasional board wider than 6" on a six inch jointer.
It's a kludge but satisfactory results can be had. It's not almost
like having and 8" er but satisfactory results can be had.

If your short on the space or the Geld and only occasionally
want to joint a wider board, go for the 6".

Otherwise, every one of us with a 6" jointer and enough space and enough
Geld plans on springing for a bigger jointer some day and more or less
wishes they'd bit the bullet and done it up front.

bob g.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Wes Stewart" wrote in message

Otherwise, if I had my druthers, I would have at least an
8 incher.

We all would Wes. We all would!

Wyatt Wright

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:58:55 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message

Otherwise, if I had my druthers, I would have at least an
8 incher.

We all would Wes. We all would!

Personally, I wouldn't trade down

Preston Andreas

I started with a 6" and now have an 8" and I am really glad to have it. It
has a longer bed, so it is easier to joint a longer board (even if it is
less than 6" wide). Many times I have needed the extra width. In fact, I
am looking for a used 16" jointer as a companion to the 8".

If you have the space and extra money for the 8", I would go for it. You
won't be sorry.

Preston
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:34:47 +0200, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

"Lee Gordon" writes:

If you're worried about nicking the knives with a hidden nail, invest in a
Lumber Wizard or similar metal detector.

What about hidden stones?

Well, at least here in America, the likelihood
of finding a stone in a board seems to be pretty low. I have
never had that happen, actually...although I have found bullets,
nails, barbed wire and the occasional horseshoe (all metal). THe
bullets are not a problem, of course, as lead is pretty soft.
However the nails and other chunks of harder metal are a bitter
pill if not caught BEFORE running through the thickness planer/
Jointer.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Bob G.

My Jointer was a once in a lifetime purchase..(Rockwell 6"..purchased
new in the mid 60's...) and to be honest pretty heavely used...over
the 40 odd years I have owned it...

BUT

IF I were buying a new jointer I would value a longer bed lenght
over extra cutting width.... 90 percent of the time all I need is 6
inches...but I do get "PO'ed) the 10 percent of the time I need an 8
inch cut...

But truthfully when I edge glue up table tops or panels etc very
rarely do I want to glue up poieces wider then 4-5 inches anyway...

In short...bed lenght is more useful (to me, my work, and my needs )
yours may vary... ..

Bob Griffiths

wrote:

[...]

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 15:19:06 -0400, MikeG
wrote:

First lets get rid of that hit a nail thing. A jointer is a tool not a
precious collectors item. **** happens and if you have a need for the
tool you bear with the occasional ding or two.

I don't think I've ever hit a nail or even any grit with my jointer -
I filter them out with the thickness planer first. By the time I go
near the jointer, the boards are pretty clean.

Gritty bark is another use for the hand planer. I don't care what I
hit with that thing.

(Friend of mine once had a mouse nest under his jointer head - you
don't want to know the rest)

Pat Barber

If possible, find a woodworking store(Woodcraft as an example)
and go see a 8"(DJ-20) sitting next to a 6"(Pro series) and
that will answer any question you have about which to get.

The difference is beyond description.

It seems to me that a jointer is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

Robert Galloway

Dave wrote:

It seems to me that a jointer is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

I sure hope not. :-)

rhg

"Dave" wrote in message news:go5Rc.33403$J06.11147@pd7tw2no...
It seems also that if you make a mistake and hit a nail, those 8"
knives will be worth a lot more to replace.

Not really. A Freud 6" knife set at Amazon.com is $19.75 and the 8"
is $25.46. Less than $6 difference. On the other hand, by moving the
fence around to distribute wear, you go longer between knife
sharpenings on the 8" machine.

With this being a small market
tool, resale value of a bigger device would probably not match up as will
with purchase price.

Maybe think about buying a good used 8" machine? Then you're paying
the resale price, which it should hold indefinitely. Figure on new
knives (have the old ones sharpened and kept as back-up), maybe a
drive belt, and you're in business.

Have fun!

Tim

Mutt

Folks can debate and chew the fat over this one for a long time, but
the bottom line is space, cost and functionality. Some folks don't
have the space, some do. Some have financial limitations/other
responsibilities and have to be more responsible in spending, and some
folks simply don't need an 8" jointer for type of work they like to do
and the occasional +6" wide piece that comes up.

I had a 6"er for 7 or 8 years, and from time to time would resist
ripping wide boards down, and face joint 8" wide boards by hand with a
#5 to get them into the planer, and did just fine. I happened to have
the cash, and bought a DJ-20 last fall and I've never looked back.
I've put about 5 to 600 bd ft (maybe more) through it so far, and face
jointed some 7" wide cherry just last night, and am still thinking to
myself "what a great machine this is."

Take your pick, whether its Grizz, Delta, Jet, Powermatic, General
International or some other brand, you generally get a more powerful
machine, longer beds, more stable platform, better adjustment
mechanisms - it all adds up to a better user experience and a bit more
flexibility. Incremental costs on blades or sharpening, well, I can't
get excited about that all too much. If you go larger, you will
likely not regret it. For me it is a once in a lifetime buy, as I
won't sell it while I'm alive. When I give it up for the afterlife
there'll be one hell of a garage sale!!

Mutt

"Dave" wrote in message news:go5Rc.33403$J06.11147@pd7tw2no...
It seems to me that a jointer is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. When I
look back at tools I have bought before, I often wonder why I didn't buy
better quality or bigger equipment from the beginning. Therefore, now that I
am looking at buying a jointer, I feel tempted to go for an 8" machine
rather than smaller...............SNIP

Any ideas out there? Can you do almost as much on a 6" machine as an
8"?

Dave

Robert Galloway

Almost everything he says is accurate. I've face jointed a bunch of
eight inch board on a six inch jointer. It's like using a hand plane.
You look for the high spots and cut them down. Flip the board and do it
again. It's a kludge. Don't underestimate your ability to get flat
board by this method if it's all that's available to you. I can afford
the 8". I'm low on space, I wonder how long it will be before I want
something bigger. (10", 14") I'll probably get an eight inch. Envy?
Convenience? My point is... don't let anyone convince you that if you
have only a six inch jointer you dasn't touch a board wider than six
inches. Search the web- the techniques are posted. Save yourself some
sweat and buy the eight inch if it's practical but don't let anyone
convince you that you're condemned to ripping everything to six inches
if you don't spring for the wider jointer.

bob g.

Mutt wrote:

Folks can debate and chew the fat over this one for a long time, but
the bottom line is space, cost and functionality. Some folks don't
have the space, some do. Some have financial limitations/other
responsibilities and have to be more responsible in spending, and some
folks simply don't need an 8" jointer for type of work they like to do
and the occasional +6" wide piece that comes up.

I had a 6"er for 7 or 8 years, and from time to time would resist
ripping wide boards down, and face joint 8" wide boards by hand with a

Gary

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

OK, to start off, I am a newbie and probably don't know what I'm talking
about here. But just doing the math, isn't an 8" the same as two 4"
jointers? I suspect a lot of 4" and less sized lumber is run through a
jointer. Therefore you might get more utility out of 8" blades over a 6".
At least that's what Norm said the other week when he was surfacing some old
barn lumber for a sheep shearer's table.

BTW, I recently ordered a Powermatic Model 60B 8 incher. I got it from
Amazon who advertises it now for $1,069 I believe. But I called the number
they have on the 60B's webpage, they sold it to me for $1,016. Plus you get
a $25 discount, which I applied to the lift gate service. I think the
marginal difference over the Grizzly G0500 was worth it, but what do I know?

Gary

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:09:20 -0400, "Gary"
calmly ranted:

BTW, I recently ordered a Powermatic Model 60B 8 incher. I got it from
Amazon who advertises it now for $1,069 I believe. But I called the number
they have on the 60B's webpage, they sold it to me for $1,016. Plus you get
a $25 discount, which I applied to the lift gate service. I think the
marginal difference over the Grizzly G0500 was worth it, but what do I know?

$163 + liftgate service differences are "marginal" to you?
That's a 20% change, Gary. I'd have rated that "whopping"
and say I did well getting that and the extra 3 inches
on the Griz landing strip (8x75 vs. 8x72 for the PM). And
what about the extra blade for smoother cutting on the Griz?

Y'all do things differnt down yonder, ah reckon.

Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Gary

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:09:20 -0400, "Gary"
calmly ranted:

BTW, I recently ordered a Powermatic Model 60B 8 incher. I got it from
Amazon who advertises it now for $1,069 I believe. But I called the

number
they have on the 60B's webpage, they sold it to me for $1,016. Plus you

get
a $25 discount, which I applied to the lift gate service. I think the
marginal difference over the Grizzly G0500 was worth it, but what do I

know?

$163 + liftgate service differences are "marginal" to you?
That's a 20% change, Gary. I'd have rated that "whopping"
and say I did well getting that and the extra 3 inches
on the Griz landing strip (8x75 vs. 8x72 for the PM). And
what about the extra blade for smoother cutting on the Griz?

Hey, you're pretty good at math, except the $25 liftgate charge was offset
by the $25 discount from Amazon. I thought long and hard about the Griz. I
couldn't see how a company could put out a quality machine for less than
half the price of a DJ20 ($1,669.99 at Amazon). It may very well be, but
when I think of Grizzly, I think of Chinese knockoffs and bottom fishing the
market. I think of those nice looking clamps I bought six for $10 that
broke on the first squeeze. I think Powermatic has a reputation of
producing premium quality machinery, a notch above Delta in many cases. At
least when it was produced in America.

And yeah, $163 to me is marginal, its about 3 tanks full of gas for my
pickup these days.

Slowhand

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Yes but using that logic, shouldn't he buy the biggest possible jointer
made?
SH

Edwin Pawlowski

"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in message
Yes but using that logic, shouldn't he buy the biggest possible jointer
made?
SH

Actually yes. In this case, the OP is wavering and has not made a purchase
yet. Why spend $300 to $500 and in a few weeks think you should have gone
another way? I've done this in the past myself. I know now to buy what I
really want rather that settle for second place.
Ed

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:01:22 -0400, "Gary"
wrote:

when I think of Grizzly, I think of Chinese knockoffs and bottom fishing the
market.

Grizzly has become mid-line.... griz has gotten a little better and
the rest of the market has gone to hell...
Mutt

Ah, er, gee, without sounding way too stupid, it seems to me that if
you plan to keep an 8" jointer for, say 15 years, $200 either way is
not material to me if you get satisfaction out of the machine, e.g.,
quality manufacture, no hassles, works right, works right
consistently. That's about three cents a day over time (bean counters
may argue for some discount to present value, but I'm a simple man).
With cigs now priced at 25 cents apiece (at least in these parts)
whaddaya really talking about. Smoke one less butt a day and you're
way ahead of the game. Quit altogether (I'm tryin, believe me, I'm
tryin...) and after a year or so you can get one of them fancy 5hp
automatic feed, dual fence Swiss Blurfls, then the quality of your
work go way, way up, and supermodels will be banging on your door to
"date" you. Hmmm, now that I think of it, thats maybe some additional
motivation to quit smoking, eh??

Mutt

"Gary" wrote in message ...
[...]

Mike Marlow

"Mutt" wrote in message
om...

supermodels will be banging on your door to
"date" you. Hmmm, now that I think of it, thats maybe some additional
motivation to quit smoking, eh??

Mutt

Don't believe it for a second Mutt. Just like everything else, there's a
catch... only the really fat and ugly supermodels come beating at your
door...

--

-Mike-

Slowhand

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
link.net...

"Mutt" wrote in message
om...

supermodels will be banging on your door to
"date" you. Hmmm, now that I think of it, thats maybe some additional
motivation to quit smoking, eh??

Mutt

Don't believe it for a second Mutt. Just like everything else, there's a
catch... only the really fat and ugly supermodels come beating at your
door...

But supermodels nonetheless g
SH

Mutt

Hmmmm, well, you got a point, but a buddy of mine was a chubby chaser
and he seemed to like it..... his point was that they were really
appreciative... g

Oh, gee, that's really sexist, but what the hell...lets turn it around
and say a "real" supermodel were to want to be "nice" to fat, bald,
old, gnarly me, hell, I'd be really appreciative!!

Mutt

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Mutt" wrote in message
om...

supermodels will be banging on your door to
"date" you. Hmmm, now that I think of it, thats maybe some additional
motivation to quit smoking, eh??

Mutt

Don't believe it for a second Mutt. Just like everything else, there's a
catch... only the really fat and ugly supermodels come beating at your
door...

Rick Schmalzried

wrote:

[...]

I used a good 6" jointer for 10 years and have been very happy with
it. However, earlier this summer I got a good deal on a used 8"
Powermatic. I now wonder why I struggled with the 6" for so long.
The longer tables of the 8" make even narrow stock MUCH easier to
joint accuratly.

--Rick