Mutt

Default 6" vs 8" jointer

Ah, er, gee, without sounding way too stupid, it seems to me that if
you plan to keep an 8" jointer for, say 15 years, $200 either way is
not material to me if you get satisfaction out of the machine, e.g.,
quality manufacture, no hassles, works right, works right
consistently. That's about three cents a day over time (bean counters
may argue for some discount to present value, but I'm a simple man).
With cigs now priced at 25 cents apiece (at least in these parts)
whaddaya really talking about. Smoke one less butt a day and you're
way ahead of the game. Quit altogether (I'm tryin, believe me, I'm
tryin...) and after a year or so you can get one of them fancy 5hp
automatic feed, dual fence Swiss Blurfls, then the quality of your
work go way, way up, and supermodels will be banging on your door to
"date" you. Hmmm, now that I think of it, thats maybe some additional
motivation to quit smoking, eh??

Mutt

"Gary" wrote in message ...
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:09:20 -0400, "Gary"
calmly ranted:

BTW, I recently ordered a Powermatic Model 60B 8 incher. I got it from
Amazon who advertises it now for $1,069 I believe. But I called the

number
they have on the 60B's webpage, they sold it to me for $1,016. Plus you

get
a $25 discount, which I applied to the lift gate service. I think the
marginal difference over the Grizzly G0500 was worth it, but what do I

know?

$163 + liftgate service differences are "marginal" to you?
That's a 20% change, Gary. I'd have rated that "whopping"
and say I did well getting that and the extra 3 inches
on the Griz landing strip (8x75 vs. 8x72 for the PM). And
what about the extra blade for smoother cutting on the Griz?

Hey, you're pretty good at math, except the $25 liftgate charge was offset
by the $25 discount from Amazon. I thought long and hard about the Griz. I
couldn't see how a company could put out a quality machine for less than
half the price of a DJ20 ($1,669.99 at Amazon). It may very well be, but
when I think of Grizzly, I think of Chinese knockoffs and bottom fishing the
market. I think of those nice looking clamps I bought six for $10 that
broke on the first squeeze. I think Powermatic has a reputation of
producing premium quality machinery, a notch above Delta in many cases. At
least when it was produced in America.

And yeah, $163 to me is marginal, its about 3 tanks full of gas for my
pickup these days.