David Zaret

Default 6" vs 8" jointer

dave -- get the 8", or larger. you can't have a jointer that's too big.
i'm seriously considering a 20".

if you have the budget, do it and don't look back. you won't regret it.

--- dz

Dave wrote:
It seems to me that a jointer is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. When I
look back at tools I have bought before, I often wonder why I didn't buy
better quality or bigger equipment from the beginning. Therefore, now that I
am looking at buying a jointer, I feel tempted to go for an 8" machine
rather than smaller.

On the other hand, I do wonder if it will be more than I would ever
use. It seems also that if you make a mistake and hit a nail, those 8"
knives will be worth a lot more to replace. With this being a small market
tool, resale value of a bigger device would probably not match up as will
with purchase price. Certainly you pay lots more for the extra couple of
inches. I don't yet have any significant hands-on experience and therefore
would definitely be a newbie to that tool.

Any ideas out there? Can you do almost as much on a 6" machine as an 8"?

Dave