Elwood Dowd

Default The Ultimate Earmuffs

It's possible you could adapt an aviation headset to do all of this.

Jay Pique wrote:

I would like to have a pair of earmuffs that do all of the following
functions:
1. Reduce excessive noise to a safe level.
2. Allow normal conversation and sounds to be heard.
3. Tie into the phone system. This would require a microphone to be
included. When the phone rang you'd hear it in the headphones, and
via a voice recognition command you could answer it and speak - all
handsfree. Employees, vendors, emergency service providers - they'd
all be a word away.
4. Tie into my computer system so that I could digitally record memos,
notes, emails etc... Again this would be accomplished via VR. Since
my pc is my stereo these days, I'd control the shop music via voice
command as well. This way I could swap out the foxtrot music for some
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot when the geezers leave the building. All without
stepping out from behind the bench.
5. Since I envision DreamShop 1.x to have a computerized power
management system, I might as well have remote control over the
lights, air conditioning and security system - and maybe even tools
themselves. "Griggio, ON!" would give me great satisfaction. (Safer
yet, "Griggio, [passsword], ON!"
6. Clear and instant communication between employees would also be
excellent to have - why not throw in an intercom system. Our shop is
an acoustical disaster, so it's sometimes hard to understand people
even when the machinery isn't screaming.

The technology exists today. Maybe I'll see it at the IWF '04 in
Atlanta...

JP
**************
"Beer me."

J. Clarke

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

I suspect that if you stuck a bluetooth headset under a pair of your
favorite earmuffs you'd be able to do all that. Be a pain in the butt to
set up though.

JP
**************
"Beer me."

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Swingman

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I would like to have a pair of earmuffs that do all of the following
functions:

I finally gave up on all that and just plug in my iPod.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

NoOne N Particular

Develope it, Patent it. Market it. Retire yourself.

Wayne

P.S. Don't forget to tie it into your home entertainment center so you can
change channels on the Plasma TV over in the corner of the shop, or play a
CD, or tape Nahmie. Oh. and tie it into your cars computer system to you
can get diagnostics and maybe even have the car start itself and turn on the
a/c on hot days. Oh oh, And tie it into your automated house controls so
you can have the lights on when you come in and the temp all nice and comfy,
etc. Oh oh oh. . . and tie it into your wife so you can. . .uh . . .Maybe
you better leave this one out. :-)

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

J. Clarke

NoOne N Particular wrote:

Develope it, Patent it. Market it. Retire yourself.

Wayne

P.S. Don't forget to tie it into your home entertainment center so you
can change channels on the Plasma TV over in the corner of the shop, or
play a
CD, or tape Nahmie. Oh. and tie it into your cars computer system to you
can get diagnostics and maybe even have the car start itself and turn on
the
a/c on hot days. Oh oh, And tie it into your automated house controls so
you can have the lights on when you come in and the temp all nice and
comfy,
etc. Oh oh oh. . . and tie it into your wife so you can. . .uh . . .Maybe
you better leave this one out. :-)

Just use it to control the stasis box where you keep her when you're not
using her.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

Charlie Self

Elwood Dowd responds:

Jay Pique wrote:

[...]

I hope not. It sounds like a wonderful way to slice off some fingers while
paying attention to everyting but the tool.

Charlie Self
"Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the
clubs and the fresh air." Jack Benny

Jay Pique

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:14:06 GMT, igor wrote:

And how much would you be willing to spend for this?

It's tough to say, as I believe the IT consulting fee would far
outweigh the actual hardware costs. For just the ear
protection/microphone combo I'd guess around $500 for a single unit,
but that's not the "product" in which I'm interested. If you could
provide all of the below in a (very) dependable and durable format -
and it was OSHA compliant - I would think that a cost benefit analysis
might show it to be worth quite a bit. For me if I were to open
DreamShop? How about $10k and support for one year after it's fully
operational, then a reasonable fee going forward for the addition of
new machinery, etc...

JP
****************
Noise cancelling tech would be nice too - even on a shopwide basis.

[...]

NoOne N Particular

"igor" wrote in message
I wonder if a defense contractor makes something like this for DOD --

maybe
for helicopter pilots. At that kind of price, maybe you could afford what
they sell.

I don't know about a helicopter setup from DOD. I can just se it now. Your
are cutting a piece of hardwood on your table saw and then turn your head. .
..

Wayne

M Wingett

"igor" asked
And how much would you be willing to spend for this?

$39.99 for the Harbor Freight edition. 8^)

Jay Pique

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 02:29:27 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"
wrote:

"igor" wrote in message
.. .
I wonder if a defense contractor makes something like this for DOD --

maybe
for helicopter pilots. At that kind of price, maybe you could afford what
they sell.

I don't know about a helicopter setup from DOD. I can just se it now. Your
are cutting a piece of hardwood on your table saw and then turn your head. .

LOL. I actually got to put one of those on at the Paris Air Show (Le
Bourget?) a bunch of years ago. Tres cool.

JP
Swingman

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

shuffling through piles of crap

Now *where* did I put my Idiot's Guide to Writing a Business Plan?

Look for where you left the Idiot's Guide to Staying Organized and you'll
probably find it. LOL.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Mike Reed

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message m...
Develope it, Patent it. Market it. Retire yourself.

This is not a patentable idea since it is available to the public now,
before one has been produced.

If you want to patent something, don't post your idea on usenet. Don't
tell anyone other than NDA'd consultants until at least the PPA has
been received by the USPTO.

-Mike
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:18:51 GMT, "M Wingett"
calmly ranted:

"igor" asked
And how much would you be willing to spend for this?

$39.99 for the Harbor Freight edition. 8^)

The $2 sets already come with most of those specs filled,
but they don't have the phone connection set.

But I'm a firm believer in the "If I'm in the shop, I
don't want to talk on the phone." style. Though I did
install a phone there ($5 phone with $5 rebate), I very
seldom answer it unless I've finished the task at hand.
Y'know: waiting for glue to dry or something like that.
I see no reason for a cell phone, either. Shop time is
"away" time. I find that I sometimes leave the muffs on
even though there are no tools running for the peace and
quiet. No neighbor dogs barking, no crows cawing, no cows
mooing, no Harleys brappin', no phones ringing, etc.

- - -
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!

Charlie Self

Larry Jaques writes:

"igor" asked
And how much would you be willing to spend for this?

$39.99 for the Harbor Freight edition. 8^)

The $2 sets already come with most of those specs filled,
but they don't have the phone connection set.

But I'm a firm believer in the "If I'm in the shop, I
don't want to talk on the phone." style. Though I did
install a phone there ($5 phone with $5 rebate), I very
seldom answer it unless I've finished the task at hand.
Y'know: waiting for glue to dry or something like that.
I see no reason for a cell phone, either. Shop time is
"away" time. I find that I sometimes leave the muffs on
even though there are no tools running for the peace and
quiet. No neighbor dogs barking, no crows cawing, no cows
mooing, no Harleys brappin', no phones ringing, etc.

I don't mind talking on the phone in the shop, but, like you, I don't jump for
it immediately when it rings--if I even hear it. Loss of hearing, tinnitus and
loud tools (muffled, now, by ear plugs or muffs) all contribute. At times, too,
it's downright dangerous to drop things and grab the phone.

I do it the simple way. Take a cordless handset out to the shop. Some day, I
may actually get a dual handset model, because I have been known to get a
memory blip and leave the handset out in the shop overnight, which does the
battery no good at all and leaves me without a shop phone when I need to call
out.

Calls out are the province of the shop phone, IMO. They are safety items should
your wood rack collapse and knock you to the floor or another such incident
occur.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker
Charlie Self

JOAT responds:

snip I have been known to get a memory blip and leave the handset out
in the shop overnight, which does the battery no good at all and leaves
me without a shop phone when I need to call out. snip

Mines got a clip on it, so you can hang it on your belt. Or, just
keep it in a pocket instead of setting it down. Then, as long as you
don't leave your pants in the shop, you're set.

Given the way my waistline has, er, let's say, developed in recent years, if I
hang anything from my belt, I'm almost sure to leave my pants in the shop.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker
L Wilson

Two words.... Dolly Parton makes it a little tough to work in the shop,
but.....

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:42:48 GMT, "L Wilson"
calmly ranted:

Two words.... Dolly Parton makes it a little tough to work in the shop,
but.....

As long as we're going there, the best muffs are a bit
further down on the body, and soft thighs beat plastic
ear cups by _miles_.

The only problem with body-part muffs is that you can't
-see- what you're doing when you wear them in the shop.

Suggestion: Try on the body-part muffs inside the house,
then wear any old things out in the shop. I have 3 pairs
of HF muffs and half a dozen Int'l Orange ear plugs to
double up when I use the screaming routah. That way I can
always find a pair, there's a second pair around if someone
happens over when I'm in th shop, and the total cost was
right around $10.

--
ALL YOUR FEARS ARE LIES
-----------------------

Tim Douglass

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 20:43:54 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Suggestion: Try on the body-part muffs inside the house,
then wear any old things out in the shop. I have 3 pairs
of HF muffs and half a dozen Int'l Orange ear plugs to
double up when I use the screaming routah. That way I can
always find a pair, there's a second pair around if someone
happens over when I'm in th shop, and the total cost was
right around $10.

This is one place where HF is really good. I have about a dozen pairs
of HF ear muffs. They do a good job and only cost about $3.00 each on
sale. I have them scattered all over the shop and pickup (for wood
cutting). My theory is that if they are handy I'll use them. I do the
same thing with safety goggles.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com